Be careful what you wish for.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Be careful what you wish for.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks Lem. :shock: Some things you just can't unsee.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:02 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:23 pm
This thing about Hawaiian pizza reminds me of the MDB board where people pretended they all hated mayonnaise. It's just weird.
Lol. Schmo, if I ever win a lottery where the prize is a year’s supply of mayo and/or pineapple pizza, I will happily hand that gift over to you. At least I know that it’ll be better appreciated, that way.
Sweet!

I wonder if people who eat chicken salad or tuna salad or egg salad realize they're eating mayo. I mean, it's a condiment, meant to augment something else. I imagine the mayo haters eating a spoonful by itself and thinking, "This is disgusting!"
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:36 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:02 pm

Lol. Schmo, if I ever win a lottery where the prize is a year’s supply of mayo and/or pineapple pizza, I will happily hand that gift over to you. At least I know that it’ll be better appreciated, that way.
Sweet!

I wonder if people who eat chicken salad or tuna salad or egg salad realize they're eating mayo. I mean, it's a condiment, meant to augment something else. I imagine the mayo haters eating a spoonful by itself and thinking, "This is disgusting!"
All of those are great foods, but we tend to limit the mayo, and/or mix in other wet ingredients to allow the mayo content to share the spotlight. Plain yogurt can help. And a good deli or Dijon mustard, as example, really jazzes up potato salad with a few extra ingredients, and makes a tuna salad healthier while not sacrificing moistness.

And you forgot deviled eggs … which use mayo, but are awesome anyway.

As a tangent to this conversation, how do you feel about dill relish in your egg salad? Or raisins in that, or anything else outside of a lettuce-based salad? Or a mayo-based ‘macaroni salad’? Let’s get down into the weeds with some disgusting stuff!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:49 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:36 pm

Sweet!

All of those are great foods, but we tend to limit the mayo, and/or mix in other wet ingredients to allow the mayo content to share the spotlight. Plain yogurt can help. And a good deli or Dijon mustard, as example, really jazzes up potato salad with a few extra ingredients, and makes a tuna salad healthier while not sacrificing moistness.

And you forgot deviled eggs … which use mayo, but are awesome anyway.

As a tangent to this conversation, how do you feel about dill relish in your egg salad? Or raisins in that, or anything else outside of a lettuce-based salad? Or a mayo-based ‘macaroni salad’? Let’s get down into the weeds with some disgusting stuff!
I was scared by a pickle as a young child, so no pickles on or in anything. I like the taste of both the eggs and the devil, so I wouldn't want raisins or anything else "fancy"
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

There are some things that drive home to me how much I do not share with Americans, despite:

(1) A (more or less) shared language.

(2) A deep cultural history shared with many (though not all) present day Americans.

(3) A complex interaction near the end of the first half of the 20th century that led to me being brought up thinking that Americans were on the whole good people to have around. And Roy Rogers, of course.

(4) Mutually beneficial professional contacts with many American colleagues.

And one of those things is food.

(The others are guns and no universal health care)
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Chap wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:03 pm
I know what you mean, names such as Bangers and Mash, and Toad in the Hole can put your appetite off. Best to stick to well-known dishes like Moo Goo Gai Pan.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Chap wrote:
There are some things that drive home to me how much I do not share with Americans, despite:

(1) A (more or less) shared language.

(2) A deep cultural history shared with many (though not all) present day Americans.

(3) A complex interaction near the end of the first half of the 20th century that led to me being brought up thinking that Americans were on the whole good people to have around. And Roy Rogers, of course.

(4) Mutually beneficial professional contacts with many American colleagues.

(The others are guns and no universal health care)
bold mine

Talk to us about the food. I've never found it all that different.

edit: Oh well, um, now that I think on it, the first English pizza I ate (decades ago) had tuna and yellow maize (corn) as toppings. So, maybe you have something.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:45 pm
Chap wrote:
I know what you mean, names such as Bangers and Mash, and Toad in the Hole can put your appetite off.
Or spotted dick.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Moksha wrote:
Chap wrote:
I know what you mean, names such as Bangers and Mash, and Toad in the Hole can put your appetite off.
I haven't eaten that kind of food for many a year.
Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:49 pm
the first English pizza I ate (decades ago) had tuna and yellow maize (corn) as toppings. So, maybe you have something.
Nor that either.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Chap wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:16 pm
Moksha wrote:

I haven't eaten that kind of food for many a year.
Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:49 pm
the first English pizza I ate (decades ago) had tuna and yellow maize (corn) as toppings. So, maybe you have something.
Nor that either.
I'm not at all surprised. Me either.