Be careful what you wish for.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Be careful what you wish for.

Post by canpakes »

Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:49 pm
edit: Oh well, um, now that I think on it, the first English pizza I ate (decades ago) had tuna and yellow maize (corn) as toppings. So, maybe you have something.

Strange as it sounds, corn can work as a topping (as long as you remove it from the ear). Local pizzeria Settebello has an Emilia pizza with prosciutto cotto, parmigiana and corn, amongst other toppings, that is excellent … although their Brisket pizza may be my current favorite option.

If you’re ever in Salt Lake City, Settebello is right downtown and worth a visit.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:14 am
Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:49 pm
edit: Oh well, um, now that I think on it, the first English pizza I ate (decades ago) had tuna and yellow maize (corn) as toppings. So, maybe you have something.

Strange as it sounds, corn can work as a topping (as long as you remove it from the ear). Local pizzeria Settebello has an Emilia pizza with prosciutto cotto, parmigiana and corn, amongst other toppings, that is excellent … although their Brisket pizza may be my current favorite option.

If you’re ever in Salt Lake City, Settebello is right downtown and worth a visit.
I'll definitely check it out. Thank you!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:49 pm
As a tangent to this conversation, how do you feel about dill relish in your egg salad? Or raisins in that, or anything else outside of a lettuce-based salad? Or a mayo-based ‘macaroni salad’? Let’s get down into the weeds with some disgusting stuff!
I love dill anything, as long as it's used in proportion.

I'm not a fan of raisons in anything except cookies (occasionally) or covered in chocolate.

I'm not really a fan of macaroni dishes, either. I eat macaroni about as often as I eat breakfast cereal, both of which are foods I enjoyed more as a kid.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:05 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:49 pm
As a tangent to this conversation, how do you feel about dill relish in your egg salad? Or raisins in that, or anything else outside of a lettuce-based salad? Or a mayo-based ‘macaroni salad’? Let’s get down into the weeds with some disgusting stuff!
I love dill anything, as long as it's used in proportion.

I'm not a fan of raisons in anything except cookies (occasionally) or covered in chocolate.

I'm not really a fan of macaroni dishes, either. I eat macaroni about as often as I eat breakfast cereal, both of which are foods I enjoyed more as a kid.
I should be more precise, since dill itself can be a very useful spice addition in a lot of dishes, and relish can be a sweet or dill type.

Are you OK with relish as an ingredient in items like tuna salad?

As for raisins … I’m with you on that. I’m happy to never find a raisin in anything outside of trail mix and a box of Raisin Bran. From what I’ve seen in old cookbooks, seems like they used to be a staple in American cooking back in the 60’s and 70’s, and were tossed into dozens of hot and cold dishes where they had no business being. We’ve thankfully moved past that stage.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:20 pm
Are you OK with relish as an ingredient in items like tuna salad?
Yes, I imagine I would be, although I don't know if I've ever had it. I usually dice dill pickles when I make tuna salad, so it's not that outrageous an idea to me.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Personally I find people who moralize food choice to be vile. How princess and the pea can you get? Gatekeeping people's preference for pizza toppings? F*** off.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 pm
Personally I find people who moralize food choice to be vile. How princess and the pea can you get? Gatekeeping people's preference for pizza toppings? F*** off.
I've noticed a sort of cultural attitude from people in the northeast about how food should be and how the rest of the world doesn't know how to cook anything. There's this whole "New York vs Chicago" thing regarding pizza. I've had food from all over the northeast, and it's not that special. I suspect it's like your mom's cooking - if that's what you grew up with, you tend to have bias toward it.

The only thing that seems to add credibility to that attitude is Philadelphia Cheese Steak sandwiches, because they usually are better around Philadelphia, although I had a killer Philadelphia Cheese in Spokane, Washington (of all places) a couple months ago.

Everybody wants to be proud of something, I guess.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

by the way, I've been all over the US, and if I had to pick a place that consistently makes the best food, I'd choose New Orleans.

Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:22 pm
by the way, I've been all over the US, and if I had to pick a place that consistently makes the best food, I'd choose New Orleans.
I agree that their food is always incredible but I find they can suffer from some of the same traditionalist problems and gatekeeping that we see elsewhere, probably too much of the old French blood in them. Personally I've been finding the best meals are those that lean heavily into the fusion of several cuisines and in my opinion NOLA falls short there. Most of my southern Louisiana family considers it blasphemous to modify their standard crawfish recipe but if you've ever tried Viet-cajun (Houston is the Mecca for it) you know they are wrong.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 pm
I can’t moralize food choices, but good-natured heckling is fair game. : D

Serious foodies and Gordon Ramsey (RIP) may have (had) a different take on that opinion.