Be careful what you wish for.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Be careful what you wish for.

Post by Dr. Shades »

I'm just about ready to put a call out for moderators in the Terrestrial Forum, but before I can do so, I need to know something:

If you're willing to accept that our two new participants' personal attacks and off-topic derailments be sent to the Spirit Prison forum when they're directed at you, are you willing to accept that your own personal attacks and off-topic derailments be sent to the Spirit Prison forum when they're directed at Ajax18?

If you are, then I can put out a call for moderators. If you're not, then the status quo should remain intact.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Re: Be careful what you wish for.

Post by Moksha »

First off, your new avatar is one cool cat.

Even though some of Ajax's ideas were beyond the pale (Treblinka?), he deserved to have been treated amicably. Who among this crew is the least partisan and most level-headed?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

It's not my custom to derail threads and I don't have any personal attacks against Ajax18 to move. This is what I do have.

I have already offered an entire thread to the tune of 100+ pages with more than a thousand posts on it. A thread that I started back in November of 2020. The same thread that is a cross over from a thread I started on the now broken board in April of 2020.

I offered it as a sacrifice, a burnt offering, in a gesture of good faith and I offered it more than once. And I have made proposals.

You are warning us to be careful what we wish for with an if/then stipulation? Shades, this isn't the end of the world. It's a matter of restoration.

We need a mod team comprised of willing participants who are able to facilitate moderation according to the rules, receive and make determinations on reports, preferably people who are literate, who can read and comprehend, who are able to abide by a strict rule of confidentiality and will do this board (and you) the courtesy of informing you of their intentions to leave so their position can be filled if needed. Full stop. This isn't a new concept. It's one that most of us have come to rely on over the years.

The damaged threads in Paradise need to be wholesale moved to Prison preceded by an administrative or moderator directive that serves to clean the slate going forward. Use the queue going forward if need be. There's also more than 300 deletes made by Cultellus that should probably be tended to.

Please take the Vaccines and Therapeutics thread and move it to Prison. Please do it now.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 am
I'm just about ready to put a call out for moderators in the Terrestrial Forum, but before I can do so, I need to know something:

If you're willing to accept that our two new participants' personal attacks and off-topic derailments be sent to the Spirit Prison forum when they're directed at you, are you willing to accept that your own personal attacks and off-topic derailments be sent to the Spirit Prison forum when they're directed at Ajax18?

If you are, then I can put out a call for moderators. If you're not, then the status quo should remain intact.
Of course.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:30 am
It's not my custom to derail threads and I don't have any personal attacks against Ajax18 to move.
I don’t make it a custom to derail threads but have been known to comment along an existing derail.

I don’t always agree with ajax but I have levied no personal attacks against him (ajax can correct me if I’m wrong). Assuming otherwise was the mistake of and excuse by some new folks to spam this board.

Jersey Girl, your thread might not need to be sacrificed.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Nope. Not cool with the change.

Why is ajax singled out?

So we can still have nazi accusations and ask someone how many cocks they suck before Sacrament meeting as long as we don’t direct it at Ajax?

So if Doc Cam wants to threaten to dox someone again is that cool as long as it is not Ajax?

If Doc Cam suggests that ceeboo is a Christian and Christians are calling a black woman a N***gress who is not a significant loss when shot in the head - are you cool with that? I am not.

Why is all this racism and sexism fine as long as it is not directed at Ajax?
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

By the way Jersey, I have deleted more than 300 posts. May be approaching 600. There will be more. A lot more.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 am

Of course. What an interestingly phrased question, though, as it really bypasses the actual issue. Your title is unnecessary.

We need the rules that are in place to be followed, and some moderation to help accomplish that. That’s all.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:30 am
It's not my custom to derail threads and I don't have any personal attacks against Ajax18 to move. This is what I do have.

I have already offered an entire thread to the tune of 100+ pages with more than a thousand posts on it. A thread that I started back in November of 2020. The same thread that is a cross over from a thread I started on the now broken board in April of 2020.

I offered it as a sacrifice, a burnt offering, in a gesture of good faith and I offered it more than once. And I have made proposals.

You are warning us to be careful what we wish for with an if/then stipulation? Shades, this isn't the end of the world. It's a matter of restoration.

We need a mod team comprised of willing participants who are able to facilitate moderation according to the rules, receive and make determinations on reports, preferably people who are literate, who can read and comprehend, who are able to abide by a strict rule of confidentiality and will do this board (and you) the courtesy of informing you of their intentions to leave so their position can be filled if needed. Full stop. This isn't a new concept. It's one that most of us have come to rely on over the years.

The damaged threads in Paradise need to be wholesale moved to Prison preceded by an administrative or moderator directive that serves to clean the slate going forward. Use the queue going forward if need be. There's also more than 300 deletes made by Cultellus that should probably be tended to.

Please take the Vaccines and Therapeutics thread and move it to Prison. Please do it now.
I think it's a great offer, Jersey Girl, but I'd defer to the new moderator(s) as to whether to perform surgery or move a whole thread. If it were me, which it won't be, I wouldn't mind at all spending a few hours on the V&T and other threads with lots of substance to bring then into conformity with the Paradise rules. As long as we get uniform application of the rules going forward, I'm happy with whatever the new powers that be decide to do with the past.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

How about double-blind moderation? Just kidding, too much work, but that would certainly solve the issue Shades mentions.

Although seriously, we don’t need to know who the added moderators are, they could log into a separate mod account if they also comment here. If Shades has confidence in them, that would be sufficient for me.