Top 5 GOAT NBA team, Marilyn Monroe, Jung and Hitler

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Top 5 GOAT NBA team, Marilyn Monroe, Jung and Hitler

Post by MeDotOrg »

I loved watching NBA basketball since the Celtics-Lakers rivalry of the 60''s. I like assembling an All-Time GOAT starting five in my head. Currently it's Jordan, Johnson, Bird, Duncan and Olajuwon. You could easily assemble an equally awesome squad that could play toe to toe with this one. The guy I have a hard time keeping off the team is Abdul-Jabbar. He was great for a longer time than Olajuwon. But Hakeem was a big man whose footwork was better than a lot of guards. His moves on the inside were like a guard doing a shake and bake.

For some reason, today I thought that keeping Kareem off the team would be like telling Marilyn Monroe she won 3rd prize in a sexiest girl competition. And that got me thinking about Norma Jean Baker, and why she was considered sooo sexy. Her sexuality must be viewed through the lens of 1950's pre-feminist repressed sexuality. It was if she was the embodiment of every repressed man's sexual fantasy: a woman who was sexually available while being innocent and not aggressive. The thing about Marilyn was that the persona and the person struggled to inhabit the same universe. And ultimately they did not. Trying to be the sexual fulfilment fantasy of the collective American Male unconscious was not a healthy way to live. Someone wrote a song about it...

And that got me thinking about the Collective Unconscious and Carl Jung. In John Toland's biography of Hitler, he quotes Jung talking about Hitler inhabiting the collective unconscious of the German Volk. Joseph McCarthy had a way of speaking to the collective unconscious fears at the same time Marilyn was speaking to collective unconscious desires. Both bypassed consciousness and went straight for the limbic system.

It's an interesting thing to look for: People who have a gift for becoming the touchstone of of a group by becoming what they want. People who are willing to give up principles to ride on the wave. You see it a lot lately.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land