My Cognitive Decline

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: My Cognitive Decline

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Sledge wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:52 pm
I have a friend on Geodon, Depakote, Zyprexa, and Ativan (as needed).
Ativan is the only benzo I've ever been prescribed. Took it in my early twenties. The withdrawals were absolutely horrendous, and I've petitioned each noggin doc since then for alternative meds.
Is this cognitive decline permanent?
I don't know. In some/most people, gen2 antipsychotics actually improve cognitive function. But, in some, like me, they have a different effect.

My close friends were the first to notice, and mention, the changes in my ability to remember, process, and engage topics. My noggin doc at the time ended up referring me to a neurologist. There were a few abnormalities that were likely from trauma, but there was also some inflammation "bright spots" (I think that's the word he used) in the second MRI they had me do where they injected me with a kind of dye(?)

I took the information back to my noggin doc, and he was the one that tied the use of antipsychotics to what I was experiencing.

There's certainly a chance that it's unrelated, but given how some of them have made me feel, and the accounts from friends/family of what they observe, it's the most likely cause.

It's kind of a perpetual dance on the edge of a volcano, weighing the negatives of side-effects, the potential roller-coaster of med changes, and inevitably being haunted by a ghost of myself if untreated.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I hadn't noticed any decline either, so far. I am deeply sorry you are going through this, Dr. Steuss. You are one of the most articulate among us, and you are second to no one in your compassion and respect for others IMHO.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Steuss
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:59 pm
Anyways… I just wanted to thank everyone for always being so kind and helpful.
You're thanking everyone for always being so kind and helpful?

Well, I must tell you, I would be very hard pressed to think of a board member (on any board that I have ever participated on) who displays as much kindness, consistently, to other board members as you so frequently do. In addition, I would be equally hard pressed to think of a board member that is as willing to help other board members like you so often are.

In my opinion, you are very much like another board member I used to know as Mercy-n-Grace and in case you don't know who that is, this is a great compliment!

So, I would like to sincerely thank you for always being so kind and helpful.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:13 pm
It's kind of a perpetual dance on the edge of a volcano, weighing the negatives of side-effects, the potential roller-coaster of med changes, and inevitably being haunted by a ghost of myself if untreated.
Aye, there's the rub. I've watched over someone going through more than one meds shift. Meds shifts aren't for the faint of heart. More for the hell bent and determined. It ain't pretty, it ain't fun, it's scary as hell, and it hurts. I can't begin to imagine what it's like to be on the inside of it.

ETA: I've seen the ghost person in-person. Lithium. Holy lord.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm
ETA: I've seen the ghost person in-person. Lithium. Holy lord.
I was fortunate (which is kind of weird to say) in that my kidneys weren't able to handle lithium. If I recall correctly, I was on it for about 4 months, before the weekly blood tests had my doc switch to Lamictal.

The thing I remember the most about Lithium was the non-stop tremors. Doing anything with my hands that required any type of control was near impossible.

I am so sorry you had to watch someone go through that.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Steuss, please keep posting up until the day you forget the enter key. Your contributions will always be appreciated.

I share a similar concern. So for I have staved off phone solicitors, but they are growing craftier all the time. I suppose we all slip sooner or later but it is no fun. I hate that the doctor has taken away my ibuprofen, but I can still do circle eights with my mouse!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
rockslider
Nursery

Post by rockslider »

Doctor Steuss,

I don't drop by here very often any more, but was looking around today and ran across this. I'm sorry to hear of your cognitive decline and your long term struggle with medications. I always admired you and always clicked on your posts to see what was always a great offering. I surely empathize with you as I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 3 years back and my cognitive steadily declines at an alarming rate.

I wish you the best and hope that things settle out for you health wise!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

rockslider wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:53 pm
I surely empathize with you as I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 3 years back and my cognitive steadily declines at an alarming rate.
(((Rock))) :cry:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
DrW
Priest

Post by DrW »

rockslider wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:53 pm
Doctor Steuss,

I don't drop by here very often anymore, but was looking around today and ran across this. I'm sorry to hear of your cognitive decline and your long-term struggle with medications. I always admired you and always clicked on your posts to see what was always a great offering. I surely empathize with you as I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 3 years back and my cognitive steadily declines at an alarming rate.

I wish you the best and hope that things settle out for you health-wise!
Rockslider! I've been wondering lately if you were okay and watching out for your old avatar. Don't keep up as much as I used to either, but very glad you are still here now and them.

I look for Doctor Steuss' avatar as well. All of us - everyone who lives long enough - will eventually experience what the good Doctor is describing to an extent. Those who are fortunate will be able to adjust and allow others to help fill in a bit more when needed.

I'm a resident of South Florida ("God's waiting room"). It seems to me that our culture as a whole is adjusting to make it easier for those of a certain age and declining cognitive horsepower to still contribute. The change could also be due, in part, to the Baby Boomer demographic swing weight. The necessity of moving to remote work over the last 18 months has clearly been a factor.

The wider work community now seems ready to accept as fully credible people who chose to work from home full time. This obviates the need to commute and makes professional life work a lot less expensive. Younger workers also seem more willing to accept a decline in speed and brilliance in exchange for contributions of experience and wisdom. Hope you can see it that way as well.

Best wishes.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous." (David Hume)
"Errors in science are learning opportunities and are corrected when better data become available." (DrW)
rockslider
Nursery

Post by rockslider »

DrW wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:48 pm
I'm a resident of South Florida ("God's waiting room"). It seems to me that our culture as a whole is adjusting to make it easier for those of a certain age and declining cognitive horsepower to still contribute. The change could also be due, in part, to the Baby Boomer demographic swing weight. The necessity of moving to remote work over the last 18 months has clearly been a factor.

The wider work community now seems ready to accept as fully credible people who chose to work from home full time. This obviates the need to commute and makes professional life work a lot less expensive. Younger workers also seem more willing to accept a decline in speed and brilliance in exchange for contributions of experience and wisdom. Hope you can see it that way as well.
I have been very fortunate in my software engineering career, especially in an age were I can work 100% of the time from my home. I'm quickly approaching the point that I cannot drive anymore. I live in Heber Utah were there is no public transportation feasible for daily work travel to SLC or Provo. It's also wonderful to work for a University with strong support for helping me with expectations and responsibilities as my ability to use the keyboard, mouse, touch pads etc. become harder and harder, along with the major change in my memory and mental abilities software demands.

What this age lacks is for a change in thinking on allowing individuals the opportunity to call it quits when their "quality of life" crosses some line.

DrW thank you for your thoughts.