Netflix

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Netflix

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:56 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:24 pm
The Watcher.

After seeing so many recommendations for this series, I put it on one night and ended up binge watching it until the end. It's based on a true story about a couple who bought a home in Jersey. It's a suspenseful "who dun it" type thing. Honestly, I found myself going through it thinking...it's the neighbor! No, it's the real estate agent. It's that old guy. Wait,it's that other neighbor! No it's definitely the real estate agent! The police are in on it! No wait, it's definitely the real estate agent and I know why!

Wait...what just happened? I know exactly nothing! :lol:

I don't know if anyone will enjoy it. I think if it goes into another season, I probably won't bother with it. I can only be twisted into a pretzel for so long before I grow weary of it. I obviously enjoyed it since I watched every episode in one evening. It's one of those things I couldn't look away from...keeps you guessing as I said above.
Why do you think you have a fascination with True Crime television, stories, videos, etc? Anecdotally, I believe women are more interested in that genre than men, but I can’t really put my finger on why it’s alluring to them. Like, I could probably offer up man-reasons why sports capture men’s attention. In that vein, do you think you know why women like the True Crime genre?

- Doc
Sure I can only speak for myself.

#1 reason why? Psychology

#2 is the forensics investigation..the puzzle pieces.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:01 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:56 pm

Why do you think you have a fascination with True Crime television, stories, videos, etc? Anecdotally, I believe women are more interested in that genre than men, but I can’t really put my finger on why it’s alluring to them. Like, I could probably offer up man-reasons why sports capture men’s attention. In that vein, do you think you know why women like the True Crime genre?

- Doc

The psychology of the perp, or the psychology of why you watch True Crime? #2 makes sense, my guess is you're trying to solve the crime before the big reveal. Like, it’s a challenge. Close?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:11 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:01 am

The psychology of the perp, or the psychology of why you watch True Crime? #2 makes sense, my guess is you're trying to solve the crime before the big reveal. Like, it’s a challenge. Close?

- Doc
No not really close. I'm interested in the early beginnings of the perps and what their early influences were. I like learning about the stories of people and what motivates them. Also interested in the relationships between perp and victim. How folks are taken advantage of and why. The stupid rookie mistakes that criminals make, particularly those with personality disorders who centrate on one aspect of their behavior and ignore the obvious like cell tower tracking from the very phones they are carrying and street cameras that corroborate their location or Bryan Kohberger who was caught on street cams driving through the neighborhood and put him at the crime scene where he killed 4 college students and left the knife sheath in the house. That sort of thing.

with regard to to the forensics, I like knowing how they put the case together and connect the dots. Blood spatters, ballistics, stages of decomposition on land and in water or how long it takes for a body to burn, how body parts are dismembered, disinfected by criminals, and found and identified from multiple dumpsters and by combing land fills, throwing bloody mattresses and clothing into landfills and seeing it discovered, cell phone data, street camera evidence, and the experts that testify to such. How one single hair sample can make the case and be the smoking gun as it were.

Other drawing factors is seeing how the criminal justice system works (and doesn't work) and bearing witness to justice when it's delivered. Even prison justice when it's delivered.

Remember once when you said I like to go deep into the weeds? You got that 100% right about me.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

You could’ve had great career as a CSI investigator. You should work on cold cases, for real.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:45 am
You could’ve had great career as a CSI investigator.
What makes you think that I didn't? 8-)
You should work on cold cases, for real.

- Doc
I only wish I could bring closure to the families of victims. Even so, when a case is solved and even when justice is delivered there really never is closure. That's a hard road to walk particularly in a case that involved a deceased loved one. Look at what the Petito family is doing. That's a product of their grief and quest for justice. They are leaving no stone unturned but in the end, they'll still have that hole in their hearts that will never be filled.

All things considered though, I think our system typically works well.

Slava Ukraini!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I couldn't find anything on 'flix or Amazon to interest me in the last 2-3 months. Considered cancelling my Netflix after 20 years at least.

Anyway, discovered "From" on Amazon. It's derivative but with all the bs out there, getting back to the roots of Lost isn't a bad idea. I was lucky to discover it a week before season 2 starts. I believe Sunday is SE2:E1
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:19 am
I couldn't find anything on 'flix or Amazon to interest me in the last 2-3 months. Considered cancelling my Netflix after 20 years at least.

Anyway, discovered "From" on Amazon. It's derivative but with all the bs out there, getting back to the roots of Lost isn't a bad idea. I was lucky to discover it a week before season 2 starts. I believe Sunday is SE2:E1
Thanks for the recommendation. I've started watching this series and have enjoyed it. I'm still on the first season, but I can't help thinking how this series is a perfect metaphor for Mormonism.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The first solid connection to Mormonism I noticed was when the family finally had to enter the town and all the creepy people of the town stared at them and gave them dirty looks. Enter any Mormon Utah town from St. George to Ogden or Tooele to Holiday, rich or poor, and it doesn't matter if you are a gentile or even a lifelong member yourself from elsewhere, that is the reception you'll get.
Gadianton
God

Skinwalker Ranch

Post by Gadianton »

Watched most of Season 1 of Skinwalker Ranch yesterday, as I suffered through a hangover induced by the single beer I drank the night before.

I've known about the series, but even as a general UFO fan and Area 51 fan, I haven't had the slightest interest in it because the premise is just so stupid. So, I'm kicking back watching YouTube, I fall asleep, and when I wake up, this guy is talking about getting radiation burns and nobody can identify the source, and it's the guy who is the star of Skinwalker Ranch. I continued listening, and he's going on about how we've got a whole generation of people who don't know how to think critically, says "scientific method" more times than I could count, and so people should watch his show to learn how science works. And then he's going to do this other show with the Ancient Aliens guy, and he mentions Joseph Smith encountering a UFO and it's too much, but, in passing he also mentions things like textbooks in physics he's written and it turns out, the guy, Travis Taylor, has 3 masters and 2 phds. lol. Well, I figure I've got to at least give it a chance.

Ill give the series this: If nothing else, it depicts Chapel Mormonism point blank. I mean, literally. The opening scene is SLC, and within a few minutes, a helicopter pilot is saying a Mormon prayer for safety as they are about to fly over the Ranch. If you were to transcribe the structure of Mormonism into another medium, this show would be an example. There is constant testimony bearing about experiences and reverence for the forces at the Ranch. And all the Mormons speak in typical missionary "spiritual giant" dialect while "priesthood 'splaining" the phenomena to newcomers. The ranch owner is Mormon, and some of his staff are former mission companions. So, if you're an anthropologists interested in cults, then look no farther than this show.

For the UFO part, how good is it? Better than I though it would be, but you just can't say as absolutely everything shown could be staged. A huge issue is the conflict of interest, making money, and also the rampant Mormonism -- Mormonism literally trains you to lie to yourself as much as possible, and plenty of Mormons out there have advanced degrees while still being complete dupes. And in fact, like the apologists, they may use their talents to further bury their heads in the sands. It becomes "inappropriate" to question the narrative, and so on. And so the "science" going on is enough to pique interest, but not enough to make serious progress. But then again, maybe they could go faster, but want to keep the seasons rolling.

The show gets lots of criticism for having limited material, and stretching it out. True, but that does give it some credibility that what they do have, is sincere. And that little bit is actually quite a bit, if it's real. I hate to be fooled twice by Mormonism, but it feels more or less sincere. Yes, antics are staged, but I don't think they are inventing instrument readings etc. Whether or not they are trying hard enough to explain the readings or making a mountain out of a molehill is another story.

Some of the science seems okay, like, they triangulate the source of microwave radiation, but then there's so much nonsense. Travis continually lectures on "the scientific method" -- confirming or falsifying hypothesis, and then suggests radical things like wormholes that can't be tested. And they aren't thorough enough. They really need to get the Mythbusters guys out there to help them. They apparently have a substantial budget, but if a laser dies or a drone doesn't work, they chalk it up to the unexplained and go on to the next thing. There's this one part around "camp 2" where they have lots of problems with batteries dying or cellphones going crazy. A lot of manufactured drama over batteries dying. Well, that is pretty dramatic if it's actually happening. They could really test that if they wanted to: get dozens of different types of batteries, do thorough and documented tests on them fully charged, and then set them on a table at camp 2.

Anyway, this show may get you closer than you'll ever be to the early days of the Church, with Joseph Smith and Oliver mixing up folklore, magic, and sincere curiosity with a whole lot of the will to believe, that DCP promotes. Season 1 is free on Netflix, season2 can be bought on Amazon. There is a chance I will purchase Season 2, we shall see.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

My wife and I drove out to the ranch, got to the entrance and saw aliens, big foot, and Elvis had to turn around because all the signs said to go away (there are surveillance cameras, too!). The ranch is located either adjacent to or inside Ute territory- you have to drive through the reservation to get to the ranch, at least that’s the case for us.

Any way, it’s located in a totally unremarkable area. Like. The topography is bland. Everything about Skinwalker Ranch is an exercise in blandness and depression. It’s perhaps the most bland land I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t wait to leave because I felt bland for having gone to Bland Land. How that ranch managed to find a way into our UFO zeitgeist is a testament to bored people telling each other stories to pass the time.

- Doc