Netflix

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Netflix

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hey Steuss!

Feel free to put whatever recommends you have on this thread. We're about to go into our usual loooooooong winter here and I'm happy to see anything that will help fend off the cabin fever! :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Here's one from me. Disney Plus is airing a series beginning Thanksgiving night called The Beatles Get Back!

https://www.disneyplus.com/series/the-b ... cWEeWVqrkE

I'd be even happier about this program if only I had Disney Plus! :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

It may not be up everyone's alley but I thought Arcane was quite good. It is a series based on the lore behind the video game League of Legends. Despite that it doesn't fall into a lot of the usual traps for video game based shows/movies. More showing than telling, no over reliance on expositions, leaving the world open enough that it is understandable by someone that isn't familiar with it.

The animation style is striking, the voice acting good and the story captivating enough that even my non-playing partner found it enjoyable.

The first 3 episodes are out now with 3 more coming for the next 2 Saturdays.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I finished watching Squid Game a few days ago. Man, what a great series! I won’t spoil it for you, but I will say that it has some of the most suspenseful moments I’ve ever experienced in any media, ever.

I highly recommend that you watch this series.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:20 pm
I finished watching Squid Game a few days ago. Man, what a great series! I won’t spoil it for you, but I will say that it has some of the most suspenseful moments I’ve ever experienced in any media, ever.

It took me three attempts to get through the first episode but I ended up binging the rest. I liked it, and I was happy to see South Korea make something worth watching. It could be predictable. whatever the characters expected you could count on the game being the exact opposite. But even still it was almost never boring.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I've been enjoying the series Midsomer Murders. Started at season 1 episode 1 and am now up to season 10 episode 8. All episodes can be found on YouTube. I'm a big fan of British murder mysteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7O4ZC42SfY Murder at Badger's Drift

My daughter and I make it a habit to watch some series together. We have enjoyed the Squid Games, Queen's Gambit, Stranger Things, and other shows.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

There's a Norwegian comedy on Netflix called Norsemen. It's set in the 8th century, but the comedy comes from all of the dialog being modern, and how they are all sort of likeable characters who's main source of economy is raiding and pillaging. They're all rapists and murderers, but you'd only know that by watching them do it. They seem fairly normal when they aren't "working."

It's not laugh out loud funny, just highly entertaining/amusing. It's got an actual plot.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:51 pm
There's a Norwegian comedy on Netflix called Norsemen. It's set in the 8th century, but the comedy comes from all of the dialog being modern, and how they are all sort of likeable characters who's main source of economy is raiding and pillaging. They're all rapists and murderers, but you'd only know that by watching them do it. They seem fairly normal when they aren't "working."

It's not laugh out loud funny, just highly entertaining/amusing. It's got an actual plot.
I enjoyed the first season quite a bit (not sure if there are more). Like you say it is quite dry but very humorous.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:20 pm

You need to get caught up on Korean cinema. I've been watching South Korean, and Asian media in general for over a decade.

I enjoyed Squid Game, but it's pretty par for the course as far as their shows go. Try the Vengeance Trilogy for starters. South Korea and Japan's movies may have much smaller budgets than the US blockbusters, but that means they had to come up with truly creative narratives without relying on special effects. Not that I don't enjoy US blockbusters too, I saw the Eternals last night with my wife and daughter.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:02 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:51 pm

I enjoyed the first season quite a bit (not sure if there are more). Like you say it is quite dry but very humorous.
There are three seasons, but it's been cancelled.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.