Netflix

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Netflix

Post by Jersey Girl »

So I've shared that I got a new smart tv and figured out how to use Netflix. I haven't watched actual television programs for decades. When I see television programs they are usually at someone else's house or if someone was staying with us. I've seen the Jersey Shore, Kardashians, Fixer Upper (LOVED IT), other HGTV shows, South Park, bits of the Food Channel--diners and dives (?), and there was something about the OJ trial that I saw--a dramatization I think. Oh and I've seen some of Big Bang Theory.

Anyway, really enjoying watching Netflix from time to time though it's hard to get me to sit still because I feel like sitting and "watching" is a waste of time. I should really get over myself, I know.

The Crown, Anne with an "E", watched documentaries on the Royals, and last night...I found me a little slice of heaven!

We love him like butterscotch candy and if you happen to watch the above, I think you'll start to figure out why. 8-) The documentary goes through his childhood exposure to various genres of music and follows his journey through his greatest influences. You'll see how candid and well spoken he is. His wealth of knowledge re: the development of music over time. Music is his one true language, it's where he lives and breathes. In this, you'll begin to see the musical roots of many of his own compositions.

The man is a walking history book...and he has certainly earned his chapter.

If you've got any Netflix shows you've really enjoyed, feel free to list them here and tell us why you liked them!
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Netflix

Post by Atlanticmike »

Haha! You watch jersey Shore. I knew my nickname for you was appropriate. You go Snooki!! You go girl! Go Snooki! Go Snooki!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:00 pm
So I've shared that I got a new smart tv and figured out how to use Netflix. I haven't watched actual television programs for decades. When I see television programs they are usually at someone else's house or if someone was staying with us. I've seen the Jersey Shore, Kardashians, Fixer Upper (LOVED IT), other HGTV shows, South Park, bits of the Food Channel--diners and dives (?), and there was something about the OJ trial that I saw--a dramatization I think. Oh and I've seen some of Big Bang Theory.

Anyway, really enjoying watching Netflix from time to time though it's hard to get me to sit still because I feel like sitting and "watching" is a waste of time. I should really get over myself, I know.

The Crown, Anne with an "E", watched documentaries on the Royals, and last night...I found me a little slice of heaven!

We love him like butterscotch candy and if you happen to watch the above, I think you'll start to figure out why. 8-) The documentary goes through his childhood exposure to various genres of music and follows his journey through his greatest influences. You'll see how candid and well spoken he is. His wealth of knowledge re: the development of music over time. Music is his one true language, it's where he lives and breathes. In this, you'll begin to see the musical roots of many of his own compositions.

The man is a walking history book...and he has certainly earned his chapter.

If you've got any Netflix shows you've really enjoyed, feel free to list them here and tell us why you liked them!
I love your discussion of the documentary, thanks for the recommendation! Give me a minute, I’ll share what we’ve enjoyed.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Anne with an 'E' was positively enchanting for me. I absolutely fell head over heals in love with their casting for Matthew. When it was all over, I was left hoping for a new creation spinoff that was all Matthew.

The wife and I really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:51 pm
Anne with an 'E' was positively enchanting for me
Seconded! I'm sorry it ended before the Indian kids could be rescued from their horrible school, which no doubt was intended.

But of course the fact that they stayed there was all too realistic. They might not even have come out of it alive.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Anne with an 'E' was positively enchanting for me. I absolutely fell head over heals in love with their casting for Matthew. When it was all over, I was left hoping for a new creation spinoff that was all Matthew.

I'm so happy to see that you, too, are a fan of the series!

On the previous board, I described how I fell in love with this quote I found and ordered from Etsy. It' was Anne's October quote. (They didn't do justice to it in the series though.) and asked about the Anne of Green Gables story. RI said he thought I would enjoy it. I listened to it on audio book and oh my god, I went totally all in for it. I don't know how many times I've listened to the entire book since then and I am not a fan of fiction. But the writing simply transports you somewhere else and the way Anne relates to, notices and observes nature is SO much like me it's unreal.

I found the Netflix series and while it was hard to shift to the actress who played Anne, it didn't take long.

My absolute favorite scene regarding Matthew is when he and Marilla are talking about their mother and how she didn't take care of them. The way the actors portrayed it was exceptional because you got the feeling that these were two seniors who never DARED to ever discuss their feelings of abandonment and how it changed the trajectory of their individual life courses. They had developed such a deep love for Anne and they knew they would do anything for her to have a good life and prepare her to live on without them, and they did. It was akin to watching two innocent young children go where they never dared to go before and who didn't want to speak ill of their mother, and yet they acknowledged the impact it had on them as adults.

Amazing writing and talent in that series! I stop short of admitting how many times I've watched it since I found Netflix!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:25 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Anne with an 'E' was positively enchanting for me
Seconded! I'm sorry it ended before the Indian kids could be rescued from their horrible school, which no doubt was intended.

But of course the fact that they stayed there was all too realistic. They might not even have come out of it alive.
I love that you appreciated the series! For some reason, it got cancelled, I can't recall why at the moment. Anyway, do you think the government intrusion on the Indian's life is historically accurate? See, there are so many areas of interest in that series you could devote several months of investigation to it.

As I said above, the character of Anne was so relatable to me. And then to discover that she is even Scottish like I am. That was just the icing on my cake.

I've got the whole book series in my Amazon cart waiting to order for winter reading. And have you researched the life of the author? She came to a very sad end, it seems.

Doesn't that series make you want to travel to PEI and just BE there and experience it? Personally, I'd go in fall when those October leaves I wrote about are falling. ;-)

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

We did too! It was mesmerizing. And beyond the story and characters, the visual impact was stunning. Every detail of costuming, hair, make-up, cars, grand hotel lobbies, ny basement apartments, even the shelf contents when they visited a store, were ALL so well done.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I want to show a pic of the first October watercolor quote from Etsy that resonated with me. Since then, I've bought a book page wall hanging piece with the whole quote on it. When I was a child we had a tall maple tree that grew outside my bedroom window. I'd watch it change throughout the seasons, collect the leaves, and took the helicopter seeds to grow my own tree farm.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:01 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:

We did too! It was mesmerizing. And beyond the story and characters, the visual impact was stunning. Every detail of costuming, hair, make-up, cars, grand hotel lobbies, ny basement apartments, even the shelf contents when they visited a store, were ALL so well done.
I will look for this one!

Slava Ukraini!