Do We Really Have It Right?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Xenophon
God

Re: Do We Really Have It Right?

Post by Xenophon »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

It's a painful process to uncover one of these blind spots, but it's really worth it. It leads to better relationships and a clearer understanding of everyone else. The pain of the process leaves strong scar tissue.
Yes. All of it. But especially this. Agreed. Emphatically agreed.
I just have to second your agreement here. That was a great post Schmo, thanks for sharing.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm
Some Schmo wrote:

It's a painful process to uncover one of these blind spots, but it's really worth it. It leads to better relationships and a clearer understanding of everyone else. The pain of the process leaves strong scar tissue.
Yes. All of it. But especially this. Agreed. Emphatically agreed.
I would be delighted to be the third person who finds your post to be a really good one, Schmo.

Thanks!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Just popping in to say that I have very much been enjoying this conversation. Lots of good observations and insights.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Mind Change.
Last edited by ceeboo on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:01 pm
Just popping in to say that I have very much been enjoying this conversation. Lots of good observations and insights.
+1000

Great thread topic Ceeboo, and a sincere thank you to all who have participated.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Steuss
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:01 pm
+1000

Great thread Ceeboo, and a sincere thank you to all who have participated.
I have enjoyed it immensely. When I wrote the OP I never imagined that there would have been as many thoughtful and thought provoking contributions as there have been. It was really and truly a most pleasant surprise. I want to add my thanks and appreciation to all who have contributed as well.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey again X-Factor
Xenophon wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:17 pm
ETA: I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Lem called out the exact same comment I did but it was brushed aside. Adding weight to my second example, in my opinion.
I just now noticed your ETA.

It wasn't brushed aside, I replied to it, directly, to Lem. Unless you thought I should rewrite the same reply again?
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:21 pm
Hey again X-Factor
Xenophon wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:17 pm
ETA: I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Lem called out the exact same comment I did but it was brushed aside. Adding weight to my second example, in my opinion.

It wasn't brushed aside, I replied to it, directly, to Lem. Unless you thought I should rewrite the same reply again?
Hey to you also! Brushed aside is probably not the correct word choice so I'm sorry for being unclear . I only mean to say that if me raising the same point leads to more introspection or consideration than Lem's initial comment on it I can see how that could be read in particular ways.

Also perhaps I'm just totally missing it (a probable scenario) I don't see where you directly addressed Lem's point where she says:
Lem wrote:Make an inappropriate remark, and then assure everyone you were kidding.
I see some later follow up about her next post and perhaps that is what you mean.

I'm also not trying to dictate how or what you reply to. Just pointing out that we both pointed out that line from you but received very different responses. In an already charged conversation I am sympathetic if someone were to read more into that than was likely intended by you.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Some Schmo wrote:
I suppose that's because I'm only dismissive of people I don't respect. If someone I respect criticizes me, I will eventually come around and try to see it from their perspective.
So, I have been chewing on this part for a while and I think, for me at least, it's true.

Another great contribution, in my opinion, Schmo.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:15 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:21 pm
Hey again X-Factor

Hey to you also! Brushed aside is probably not the correct word choice so I'm sorry for being unclear . I only mean to say that if me raising the same point leads to more introspection or consideration than Lem's initial comment on it I can see how that could be read in particular ways.

Also perhaps I'm just totally missing it (a probable scenario) I don't see where you directly addressed Lem's point where she says:
Lem wrote:Make an inappropriate remark, and then assure everyone you were kidding.
I see some later follow up about her next post and perhaps that is what you mean.

I'm also not trying to dictate how or what you reply to. Just pointing out that we both pointed out that line from you but received very different responses. In an already charged conversation I am sympathetic if someone were to read more into that than was likely intended by you.
Perhaps we are splitting hairs at this point? If you don't see it that way, let me know and I would be happy to discuss further.

Almost immediately after I did respond to Lem's question "I wonder why" - She made a post that she was leaving the thread. So, I'm not sure how much more introspection and/or consideration I could have had with Lem since Lem left the building. That was precisely why I told her that I hoped she would reconsider when she said it was her last post in the thread, as I thought more engagement might have provided some benefit to both of us (as well as possible benefit to all who are involved with the thread)
Last edited by ceeboo on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.