Do We Really Have It Right?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Do We Really Have It Right?

Post by Some Schmo »

Another factor complicating things is that people have different reasons for participating in a message board. Some people are here for the information. Some for the entertainment. Some for the validation. Some to teach. Some to spread lies. Some to troll. And then there's the odd duck that actually wants a real conversation.

It's got to be much tougher to understand where someone is coming from if we don't really know why they post in the first place.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:03 pm
Man - this thread literally has my head spinning.
It's a really good topic, ceeboo. I'm digging everyone's thoughts on this.

ETA: Since participating on message boards, I've had a weird fascination with board cultures and meta-discussions.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:07 pm
Another factor complicating things is that people have different reasons for participating in a message board. Some people are here for the information. Some for the entertainment. Some for the validation. Some to teach. Some to spread lies. Some to troll. And then there's the odd duck that actually wants a real conversation.
Absolutely! I was thinking about this too and was going to post something similar to what you have.

It's not just "another factor" in my opinion, it's a huge factor. The motives of those that participate can certainly impact how others see them - And I would think that it has equal impact power regarding how they see others. And, it surely plays a significant role - or multiple roles - concerning the entire online persona discussion.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:10 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:03 pm
Man - this thread literally has my head spinning.
It's a really good topic, ceeboo. I'm digging everyone's thoughts on this.
Oh! Don't mistake my brain smoking as me not enjoying the discussion. I am thoroughly enjoying it and I am grateful to those who have contributed such thoughtful and thought provoking contributions to the discussion (You certainly included!)
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm
The motives of those that participate can certainly impact how others see them - And I would think that it has equal impact power regarding how they see others. And, it surely plays a significant role - or multiple roles - concerning the entire online persona discussion.
Yeah, that's another great point: your motives will influence how your perceive other people, in addition to how others see you. I'm also now thinking that there's likely a weird brand of miscommunication due largely to mismatched motives. If I'm here to play and you're here to have a serious discussion, I might think you're too uptight while you might think I shouldn't be taken seriously (just an example scenario - I believe we're both here for both play and real discussions).

ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Some Schmo wrote: I'm also now thinking that there's likely a weird brand of miscommunication due largely to mismatched motives. If I'm here to play and you're here to have a serious discussion, I might think you're too uptight while you might think I shouldn't be taken seriously
Yes, mismatched motives among any two posters is another really good point. Schmo. And the reality is that this "mismatch" doesn't even need to be taking place between two posters who are engaging each other - they don't even need to be on the same thread. The mismatched motives scenario can occur between any two posters anywhere on the entire board. Including lurkers.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Thanks, ceeboo! This is one of the most thought provoking threads I have yet seen on this board. I find it humbling because I don't think I am capable of saying anything here that matches the profundity and eloquence of many of the posts I have already seen here. To me, one of the most important takeaways from this discussion is how it reinforces the importance of not being so certain of our most cherished convictions that we render ourselves incapable of fairly and honestly considering contrary but valid views and evidence that may cast legitimate doubt on our own deeply held convictions. It is nice to see a thread that is not filled with acrimonious, hostile disagreements, profanity and name calling, and everyone addressing each other with mutual respect and civility.
Last edited by Gunnar on Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Xeno

Circling back to this post.
Xenophon wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:53 pm
I wouldn't read too much into my word choices, I'm not a good enough writer to make too many deep decisions along those lines. If it makes you think then I guess that is as good as anything though.
Your writing is beautiful (My eyes - Mine to behold)
I think struggling with a verb for our online personas (or any persona for that matter) is a very insightful point. Particularly online we have a lot of control over what parts of us we let leak out into the wide, wide world but not total control. Apart from probably a very select few it is difficult to keep up appearances forever.
I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly - You're suggesting that a phony online persona will fall apart sooner or later resulting in this online persona being unmasked eventually? If I am misunderstanding you, I will be forced to blame it on the significant limitations I am faced with while trying to communicate with you on a message board using only typed words, with no ability to use body language expressions, with no way to display voice tones, and with zero knowledge of anything that might be happening in your life behind the scenes. :)
Not to mention all the context that will naturally come out as time passes. Couple that with various lenses that readers are approaching you with and I think it does wind up being a mix of create/earn/attach/let slip.
Yeah, context is always a thing. Always.

Your "let slip" part is intriguing. Again, if I am understanding the above quoted section correctly, this "let slip" is one of the possible, and perhaps devastating, body blows that will ultimately result in our fictional phony online persona being knocked out. Yes?
I look forward to your further thoughts.
Why? :lol:
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Gunnar
Gunnar wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:44 am
This is one of the most thought provoking threads I have yet seen on this board.
It has indeed been thought provoking - deeply so, for me anyway.
I find it humbling because I don't think I am capable of saying anything here that matches the profundity and eloquence of many of the posts I have already seen here.
It's been humbling for me too.
To me, one of the most important takeaways from this discussion is how it reinforces the importance of not being so certain of our most cherished convictions that we render ourselves incapable of fairly and honestly considering contrary but valid views and evidence that may cast legitimate doubt on our own deeply held convictions.
Did you recently mention something suggesting that you might be incapable of contributing a profound, articulate and persuasive post to this thread? Yeah, right Gunnar! :)

This part of your post is really special in my opinion. It captures more than a few of my many racing, scattered, and unorganized thoughts from this thread and gathers them neatly together into a lovely small glass container that is placed on a sturdy ledge.

For what it's worth, when I wrote this OP, one of my intentions was to try and put away the binoculars and the microscope that I believe I may have been using on this board far too often and try to utilize something a bit different - something that I think I may have been neglecting - That something is a mirror.
It is nice to see thread that is not filled with acrimonious, hostile disagreements, profanity and name calling.
Yes, it is nice.

Thanks for an excellent thread contribution.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

ceeboo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:58 am
I think struggling with a verb for our online personas (or any persona for that matter) is a very insightful point. Particularly online we have a lot of control over what parts of us we let leak out into the wide, wide world but not total control. Apart from probably a very select few it is difficult to keep up appearances forever.
I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly - You're suggesting that a phony online persona will fall apart sooner or later resulting in this online persona being unmasked eventually? If I am misunderstanding you, I will be forced to blame it on the significant limitations I am faced with while trying to communicate with you on a message board using only typed words, with no ability to use body language expressions, with no way to display voice tones, and with zero knowledge of anything that might be happening in your life behind the scenes. :)
Not to mention all the context that will naturally come out as time passes. Couple that with various lenses that readers are approaching you with and I think it does wind up being a mix of create/earn/attach/let slip.
Yeah, context is always a thing. Always.

Your "let slip" part is intriguing. Again, if I am understanding the above quoted section correctly, this "let slip" is one of the possible, and perhaps devastating, body blows that will ultimately result in our fictional phony online persona being knocked out. Yes?
I think I may not have been entirely clear in my earlier posting. In rereading it and your response I may have inadvertently hinted at some nefarious or clandestine attempt at creating these "fake" personas and that wasn't really my goal. So I'll try to clarify further.

I believe the majority of posters here (let's keep it simple and focus on here for now) generally want to participate in good faith and aren't attempting to deceive or mislead. My comments were more about the idea that the online world allows us to strictly control what parts of ourselves we will reveal to those we interact with. No one is a totally open book and rightly so, you have an obligation to yourself to protect and guard your life, feelings, beliefs, family, and so on. That said, the longer and more you post the longer you leave open that narrow window for others here to peer in and occasionally gain a glimpse of a different part of you.

You have more control here than really any aspect of your life about the person that you present to the world (albeit a tiny world of Mormon discussions) , but even here it is difficult to maintain forever. I don't read anything maliciousness or deceptive in it. Just a natural part of human social interaction.

Edit: apologies for any trash formatting, I don't post from mobile much
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon