The Demise of Polls

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
subgenius
Stake President

The Demise of Polls

Post by subgenius »

No matter who wins the President election of 2020, I do not see how the pollster industry survives. They once again missed the target in dramatic fashion. Is there any redemption for what are amounting to nothing more than political horoscopes?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
canpakes
God

Re: The Demise of Polls

Post by canpakes »

Agreed; this was no shining moment for 538 or so many others.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:42 pm
I'm curious what your particular issue with 538 was. Assuming Nevada and Michigan finish out the way they are trending their model is going to be nearly entirely spot on. Results look like they are going to fall right into the distribution models for both 538 and the Economist. The only true anomaly was they expected Florida to be a tighter race but that seems to be due to bad pollster considerations around Cuban voters. I agree that individual polls were fairly weak this time around but the actual modeling tools that take those polls, run them through thousands of simulations and provide probability outcomes were fairly on point this year.

ETA: Their modeling data below. A significant segment of their results falls right in line with where the results are going to be regardless of who wins. Yes they pollsters messed up again in over stating Biden's position but it seems most of the models out there are going to have done a great job accounting for that.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... -forecast/
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

The RCP average had Trump + 0.2 in North Carolina
Biden +0.9 in Florida
Trump +1.0 in Georgia
Biden +0.9 in Arizona

All within the margin of error I think.

Of course, Wisconsin and Michigan were obviously way out of whack.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Xeno -

I’m thinking along the lines of margin of error. 538 seemed overly optimistic for my jaded senses when Nate was on an interview with Rick Wilson and Molly Jong-Fast on the New Abnormal podcast last week. This looks like much more of a squeaker than predicted and runs to the margins of ‘margin of error’. : ) But I haven’t taken a deep dive into their analysis; I’m just going off of his conversation. It may be that 538 ends up looking better than that sounded.

ETA: sorry, Xeno - it was an Ezra Klein podcast. Not enough sleep these busy days, lol.
Last edited by canpakes on Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Icarus wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:57 pm
Biden +0.9 in Florida
Trump +1.0 in Georgia
Biden +0.9 in Arizona

I'm wondering if voter suppression is taken into account in polling.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:42 pm
I’m perfectly happy to wait and see the final vote tallies before condemning 538 to the dustbin. Too many people interrupted his model’s forecast of 90% chances of a Biden win as a prediction of a Biden landslide. That’s not correct. That 90% included lots of very close outcomes, including 270-268. If I recall correctly, the model predicted only about a 30% chance of a Biden landslide.

There’s no question polling has gotten harder, especially if supporters of one of the presidential candidates have become convinced that pollsters are part of the enemies of the people. There will be plenty of time for the polling postmortem once the votes have been counted.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Themis wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:02 pm
Icarus wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:57 pm
Biden +0.9 in Florida
Trump +1.0 in Georgia
Biden +0.9 in Arizona

I'm wondering if voter suppression is taken into account in polling.
It should be reflected in the likely voter screens, although it may not be expressly labeled.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

It's funny how the GOP was trying to get the drive-through voting tossed out in Texas, in a primarily Democrat stronghold district, while here in Utah, up in Layton county, they didn't say bupkis about the drive-through voting.

Huh. Weird.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm
It's funny how the GOP was trying to get the drive-through voting tossed out in Texas, in a primarily Democrat stronghold district, while here in Utah, up in Layton county, they didn't say bupkis about the drive-through voting.

Huh. Weird.

- Doc
Yes, weird how politics and elections have a tactical aspect to them...unlike your thread derail here.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams