Res Ipsa says words about trolling -- people react

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Rules and Moderator information

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:45 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:16 pm

Unlike you, I’m not in competition with others with regard to posting. Fail.
BS. Fail.
You’re breaking, counselor. Get your crap together.

Edit: speaking of breaking, the board quote feature seems to be on the fritz. Seems apt given RI’s current meltdown.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:15 pm

Edit: speaking of breaking, the board quote feature seems to be on the fritz. Seems apt given RI’s current meltdown.

- Doc
It was me. I caused it, and I freely admit it. It’s that massive talent I have for manipulating certain people into breaking ….uh, rules.

~M
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:21 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
It was me. I caused it, and I freely admit it. It’s that massive talent I have for manipulating certain people into breaking ….uh, rules.

~M
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

B.S.. Fail.

- Doc
What are you seeing that's going wrong with it?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:39 pm
:lol: You can haz ALL the cheezburgers.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

B.S.. Fail.

- Doc
LOL! You're killing me Doc.

Starting with your request for a rule change and ending with Shades' decision, who do you think were the winners, the losers, and why?
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:13 pm
I’ve been trying to think of the times Res Ipsa is referring to. I do recall these two times when res Ipsa moderated the people responding to what must surely be, according to him, events where i provoked a response due to my trolling, where he moderated the response but NOT me, the troll.

Some months ago, Binger repeatedly made threatening statements about what my employer and my students would say if “someone” just happened to call them and tell a bunch of lies, generated by him. Topics he said would be reported to my employers and my students were my alleged bigotry, use of homosexual epithets, use of hate speech, misattribution of sources, etc, etc. All lies of course, but the threat was deeply concerning to me, especially considering his unbalanced language and demeanor.

Even though the moderators warned him to stop referencing my in real life employers 4 or 5 times, he continued. I finally compiled a list of 9 of his threats, dated and with links, and sent them to the mods. It was dealt with, or I assume it was, because his comments became more vague, apparently just skirting the rule. His intent is still clear, though.

In a post above a mod suggested I consider rule 13, regarding the spirit of the law, not just the letter of the law. I wish someone had thought to request that of the troll as well, because his compliance with no in real life-type threats clearly only follows the letter of the law. Is there anything in place to prevent him from starting up those threats again? Nothing that I am aware of.

Additionally, the troll continues to be allowed to post here. He already proved he wouldn’t stop breaking rules because in my case he made at least 4 more in real life-type threats after his first 5 warnings.

It’s no secret I used to post under a name more easily identified as female. I changed, and for one reason.

The sexual harassment I endured here was unspeakable. It was vile, it was reprehensible, it should not have been allowed to go on as long as it did. It affected me profoundly, and significantly and permanently changed certain elements of my online experiences. I wouldn’t be here at all except I am just stubborn enough to not want the idiots to win.

Some of the sexual harassment was moved to forums where sexual harassment is allowed, a bit that involved my family members was removed, but most, including the subtle but clear stuff remains.

So, those are just two examples. Was it my own fault I was threatened and sexually harrassed, simply because I am a world class troll?

Our mod has publicly stated here that I provoke, people over-respond, and he doesn’t moderate me because I am so skilled at the provocation. ”Every time.”So yes, that’s a mod saying it’s my own fault I was publicly threatened and sexually harassed.
That's brilliant trolling. Again, my hat's off to you.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:29 pm
Marcus wrote:
I’ve been trying to think of the times Res Ipsa is referring to. I do recall these two times when res Ipsa moderated the people responding to what must surely be, according to him, events where i provoked a response due to my trolling, where he moderated the response but NOT me, the troll.

Some months ago, Binger repeatedly made threatening statements about what my employer and my students would say if “someone” just happened to call them and tell a bunch of lies, generated by him. Topics he said would be reported to my employers and my students were my alleged bigotry, use of homosexual epithets, use of hate speech, misattribution of sources, etc, etc. All lies of course, but the threat was deeply concerning to me, especially considering his unbalanced language and demeanor.

Even though the moderators warned him to stop referencing my in real life employers 4 or 5 times, he continued. I finally compiled a list of 9 of his threats, dated and with links, and sent them to the mods. It was dealt with, or I assume it was, because his comments became more vague, apparently just skirting the rule. His intent is still clear, though.

In a post above a mod suggested I consider rule 13, regarding the spirit of the law, not just the letter of the law. I wish someone had thought to request that of the troll as well, because his compliance with no in real life-type threats clearly only follows the letter of the law. Is there anything in place to prevent him from starting up those threats again? Nothing that I am aware of.

Additionally, the troll continues to be allowed to post here. He already proved he wouldn’t stop breaking rules because in my case he made at least 4 more in real life-type threats after his first 5 warnings.

It’s no secret I used to post under a name more easily identified as female. I changed, and for one reason.

The sexual harassment I endured here was unspeakable. It was vile, it was reprehensible, it should not have been allowed to go on as long as it did. It affected me profoundly, and significantly and permanently changed certain elements of my online experiences. I wouldn’t be here at all except I am just stubborn enough to not want the idiots to win.

Some of the sexual harassment was moved to forums where sexual harassment is allowed, a bit that involved my family members was removed, but most, including the subtle but clear stuff remains.

So, those are just two examples. Was it my own fault I was threatened and sexually harrassed, simply because I am a world class troll?

Our mod has publicly stated here that I provoke, people over-respond, and he doesn’t moderate me because I am so skilled at the provocation. ”Every time.”So yes, that’s a mod saying it’s my own fault I was publicly threatened and sexually harassed.

So, to recap:
Marcus wrote:
<tells of 9 in real life threats, mostly dealt with by mods, tells of sexual harassment, partially dealt with by mods, and the resulting impact on interaction on internet.>
Receives this response from a moderator:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:29 pm

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Ah, Marcus, you're too modest. Your "recap" left out the well done troll. Shades identified it upthread, although he didn't recognize it for the well-done troll that it is. viewtopic.php?p=2819151#p2819151 As he put it:
??? He’s clearly pointing out that the problem is with the reactor; i.e. the problem is *NOT* with you.
As anyone who can read can tell, I've consistently stated the position that a trollee is 100% responsible for how they respond to a troll. The genius of this specific trolling technique of yours is that it has absolutely worked on me a number of times in the past. I have an emotional, gut response when I see someone misrepresenting, twisting, or outright lying about things I have said. And, in the past, I've responded to this exact trolling technique by angrily arguing over what I actually said, forgetting that the readers here are pretty smart people who can read my words and understand them. It was only after reading and thinking about the literature on trolling that you linked to that I understood how good you are at trolling. My responses were 100% percent my choice and my responsibility -- you are responsible in no way, shape or form for my reactions. That's all on me. Once I learned to appreciate the high level of skill you display at trolling, (to my embarrassment) I realized that I was reacting exactly in the wrong way.

My admiration for your high level of skill is just that -- it is not a moral judgment. Trolling is a thing that most people in forums due to some degree from time to time. From the standpoint of a moderator, I'm simply amazed at how you are able to troll within the rules and how often some individuals choose to respond by violating rules. From the standpoint of a user, I want to be smarter about recognizing when I'm being trolled and responding in a more appropriate way.

TL/DR: trolling is thing most people do; you do it exceptionally well; you are responsible for your trolling; you are not responsible for how people respond to your trolling; no moral judgment expressed or implied. Easy peasy!
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

RI:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.