Res Ipsa says words about trolling -- people react

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God

Re: Rules and Moderator information

Post by Morley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:20 pm
As anyone who can read can tell, I've consistently stated the position that a trollee is 100% responsible for how they respond to a troll. The genius of this specific trolling technique of yours is that it has absolutely worked on me a number of times in the past. I have an emotional, gut response when I see someone misrepresenting, twisting, or outright lying about things I have said. And, in the past, I've responded to this exact trolling technique by angrily arguing over what I actually said, forgetting that the readers here are pretty smart people who can read my words and understand them. It was only after reading and thinking about the literature on trolling that you linked to that I understood how good you are at trolling. My responses were 100% percent my choice and my responsibility -- you are responsible in no way, shape or form for my reactions. That's all on me. Once I learned to appreciate the high level of skill you display at trolling, (to my embarrassment) I realized that I was reacting exactly in the wrong way.

My admiration for your high level of skill is just that -- it is not a moral judgment. Trolling is a thing that most people in forums due to some degree from time to time. From the standpoint of a moderator, I'm simply amazed at how you are able to troll within the rules and how often some individuals choose to respond by violating rules. From the standpoint of a user, I want to be smarter about recognizing when I'm being trolled and responding in a more appropriate way.

Ha! A master chiding another master for being a master, all while subtly displaying their own mastery (and pretending they're not chiding). I laughed all the way through this. Well done.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Morley wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:20 pm
As anyone who can read can tell, I've consistently stated the position that a trollee is 100% responsible for how they respond to a troll. The genius of this specific trolling technique of yours is that it has absolutely worked on me a number of times in the past. I have an emotional, gut response when I see someone misrepresenting, twisting, or outright lying about things I have said. And, in the past, I've responded to this exact trolling technique by angrily arguing over what I actually said, forgetting that the readers here are pretty smart people who can read my words and understand them. It was only after reading and thinking about the literature on trolling that you linked to that I understood how good you are at trolling. My responses were 100% percent my choice and my responsibility -- you are responsible in no way, shape or form for my reactions. That's all on me. Once I learned to appreciate the high level of skill you display at trolling, (to my embarrassment) I realized that I was reacting exactly in the wrong way.

My admiration for your high level of skill is just that -- it is not a moral judgment. Trolling is a thing that most people in forums due to some degree from time to time. From the standpoint of a moderator, I'm simply amazed at how you are able to troll within the rules and how often some individuals choose to respond by violating rules. From the standpoint of a user, I want to be smarter about recognizing when I'm being trolled and responding in a more appropriate way.

Ha! A master chiding another master for being a master, all while subtly displaying their own mastery (and pretending they're not chiding). I laughed all the way through this. Well done.
You are too, too kind. I am but a humble novice sitting at the feet of masters.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Morley wrote:
My favorite was that in reading through the literature on trolling, he concludes that I am the expert at it. Meanwhile, we’ve had a couple years of AtlanticMike, Cultellus and Binger shredding various parts of the forum with their trolling. But, what he learned from the literature on trolling is that the person who disagrees with him and who he can’t force into intellectual submission is the master troll. :roll:

I’m pretty sure that is just code for “Because I always have to be right, I can’t bring myself to say let’s agree to disagree. So instead, I’ll just say you are good at being bad.” Sour grapes for the internet era.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Oh no, Master Marcus, the amateurish and clumsy trolls should not be mentioned in the same sentence as you. While you are the glory of the firmament, they are a burned out flashlight. Their trolling may be more voluminous, but it is entirely lacking in style and grace. They have not even begun to master the exquisite art of trolling while staying within the rules.

But trolling is not the only lesson I have learned from you. I have also learned the important lesson that expressing any form of disagreement with the wisdom that springs forth from your mouth is an evil attempt to force you into intellectual submission. Your words are holy, and those who express disagreement are evil infields who shall be castigated, even to the nth degree. Henceforth, I will rebuke any who dare to contradict your words.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:34 pm
Oh no, Master Marcus, the amateurish and clumsy trolls should not be mentioned in the same sentence as you. While you are the glory of the firmament, they are a burned out flashlight. Their trolling may be more voluminous, but it is entirely lacking in style and grace. They have not even begun to master the exquisite art of trolling while staying within the rules.

But trolling is not the only lesson I have learned from you. I have also learned the important lesson that expressing any form of disagreement with the wisdom that springs forth from your mouth is an evil attempt to force you into intellectual submission. Your words are holy, and those who express disagreement are evil infields who shall be castigated, even to the nth degree. Henceforth, I will rebuke any who dare to contradict your words.
:lol: You go, you!

(I highlighted your response-well, projection would be more accurate- to my suggestion that saying “let’s agree to disagree” is an option. It certainly reinforces my statement above.)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:43 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:34 pm

(I highlighted your response-well, projection would be more accurate- to my suggestion that saying “let’s agree to disagree” is an option. It certainly reinforces my statement above.)
I agree. I must agree to avoid subjecting you to intellectual domination. I understand now that when you tell me to agree, I must submit and agree as you command. To refuse would be to attempt to subject you to intellectual domination.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:19 pm
:D
Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:43 pm

I agree. I must agree to avoid subjecting you to intellectual domination. I understand now that when you tell me to agree, I must submit and agree as you command. To refuse would be to attempt to subject you to intellectual domination.
:lol: :lol: You are on a roll!

Keep treating people like this, it’s very instructive to see! 8-)
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Morley wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:23 pm
You are too, too kind. I am but a humble novice sitting at the feet of masters.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:19 pm
:D

:lol: :lol: You are on a roll!

Keep treating people like this, it’s very instructive to see! 8-)
I must agree.
he/him