Rules and Moderator information

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Rules and Moderator information

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus, that’s the way I am currently leaning. And Mike’s description of how he would use thread starter rights is a good illustration of why I am skeptical of enacting a thread starter rights rule. In Mike’s example of Ajax, if Ajax or anyone else reports the post, we delete the personal attack or move the post. But in his other example, he wants to simply remove any posts he doesn’t like. In other words, he wants to completely censor any opposing viewpoint from threads he starts. Talk about the opposite of free speech.

But I don’t think that problem would be limited to Mike. I’ve seen clear patterns in reports of rule violations and am skeptical that giving OPs thread starter rights would be applied in any kind of fair or objective manner.

We do defer to an OP by looking at the first post, the title, and the OPs other posts in the thread. And I’ve PM’d OPs when the scope of the topic isn’t clear. What we don’t do is permit OPs to limit who can participate in their threads based on who they like and don’t like.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:57 pm
… i’ll change Spirit prison…
…and I’ll change Spirit paradise….
No one would normally consider it their right or announce a plan to change entire forums when newly entering an existing community within those forums. Announcing a plan like this, especially when this poster has defined this community as “infested with … cockroaches,” is further evidence of intent to disrupt.

More evidence that enforcing our rules is what is needed, not, at least in my opinion, rule changes.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Potential Rule Changes

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks!
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:04 pm
Marcus, that’s the way I am currently leaning. And Mike’s description of how he would use thread starter rights is a good illustration of why I am skeptical of enacting a thread starter rights rule. In Mike’s example of Ajax, if Ajax or anyone else reports the post, we delete the personal attack or move the post. But in his other example, he wants to simply remove any posts he doesn’t like. In other words, he wants to completely censor any opposing viewpoint from threads he starts. Talk about the opposite of free speech.

But I don’t think that problem would be limited to Mike. I’ve seen clear patterns in reports of rule violations and am skeptical that giving OPs thread starter rights would be applied in any kind of fair or objective manner.

We do defer to an OP by looking at the first post, the title, and the OPs other posts in the thread. And I’ve PM’d OPs when the scope of the topic isn’t clear. What we don’t do is permit OPs to limit who can participate in their threads based on who they like and don’t like.
Sounds absolutely reasonable. Reddit had a similar situation recently. A change was made so that when redditors block people, it also blocked those people from responding to any thread they started. Some enterprising trolls took advantage of this by blocking anyone who had a different philosophy or had disagreed with them, and then started controversial threads. In smaller forums this had a censoring effect in direct opposition to forum rules, similar to what you are describing above.

( Here’s how one forum handled it, if you’re interested. )

(Edited to correct the link)
Last edited by Marcus on Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:

Please give me the thread starter rule. Pretty please. I promise if you give me complete control over my threads I’ll have 10 new members here within a year sharing their positive opinions on how we move forward in life without having to muck through the negative influences of progressivism. I’ll change spirit paradise for the better.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:19 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Sounds absolutely reasonable. Reddit had a similar situation recently. A change was made so that when redditors block people, it also blocked those people from responding to any thread they started. Some enterprising trolls took advantage of this by blocking anyone who had a different philosophy or had disagreed with them, and then started controversial threads. In smaller forums this had a censoring effect in direct opposition to forum rules, similar to what you are describing above.

Plus, it would just become a thread battle where one thread is pitted against another. Seems like a pointless exercise.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Please give me the thread starter rule. Pretty please. I promise if you give me complete control over my threads I’ll have 10 new members here within a year sharing their positive opinions on how we move forward in life without having to muck through the negative influences of progressivism. I’ll change spirit paradise for the better.
Give you the ability to censor speech you don’t like? You who has been pretending to support Shades vision of a libertarian utopia? Thanks for giving me an early laugh. I am entertained.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:29 pm
Marcus wrote:

Plus, it would just become a thread battle where one thread is pitted against another. Seems like a pointless exercise.
It would be just like the odd skirmishes between folks here and on Peterson’s blog. Twice as many threads with little actual engagement.
he/him

Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:38 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:

Give you the ability to censor speech you don’t like? You who has been pretending to support Shades vision of a libertarian utopia? Thanks for giving me an early laugh. I am entertained.
😂🤣😂🤣 Do you see what I did there. Do you see what I got you to admit to. Man I should’ve been a lawyer.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:48 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:38 pm

😂🤣😂🤣 Do you see what I did there. Do you see what I got you to admit to. Man I should’ve been a lawyer.
😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
he/him