Rules and Moderator information

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Rules and Moderator information

Post by Marcus »

...Well beforehand, such content was considered ON topic, annoying as it was, and wasn’t split....
Just a minor correction, If I recall correctly you put considerable effort into splitting off many such derailmemts, particularly in a thread where grindael was announcing his selection as a Whitmer Historical Society speaker at their annual meeting, where he would present his paper, which was also selected for publication. It was a huge moment for him, and he was so proud to announce it here. Thank you for your work in that thread. I know he appreciated it.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Quick question.

Have my privileges been suspended when it comes to posting images?

It was a frequent feature of my posting habits for years until sometime last year I noticed I could no longer post them. I figured it might have surpassed a certain limit that rolled over every month, but more than six months later I'm still unable to post images while I see others posting them without any problem.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:44 pm
Quick question.

It was a frequent feature of my posting habits for years until sometime last year I noticed I could no longer post them. I figured it might have surpassed a certain limit that rolled over every month, but more than six months later I'm still unable to post images while I see others posting them without any problem.
Not that I'm aware of. If your privileges had been restricted in any way, we would have notified you.

How are you trying to post them -- as attachments or links to a hosting service?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:15 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:44 pm
Quick question.

Not that I'm aware of. If your privileges had been restricted in any way, we would have notified you.

How are you trying to post them -- as attachments or links to a hosting service?
The same way I always had before. I'd click on "attachments" then click on "add files" and then after uploading as many as three images from my desktop it would show the files in a table with the option to either "add file" to the post or "delete file." I could click on the order I wanted them posted. But the option to "add file" disappeared about a year or so ago and I just thought it was something that applied across the board until I noticed others beginning to post images.

The option to "add file" might have been called something else but its not there anymore so I'm just guessing that's what it said.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

OK. I see the button under the "attachments" tab. It says "Add Files." But when I selected a photo and tried to post it, I got an error message saying it was too big. I then tried a small jpeg that opened the window where you can add a comment before posting. There is a "Delete File" button, but no button that adds the photo to the post. Under the Status column, there is a little yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. Clicking on the triangle returns the message "Sorry, board attachment quota has been reached."

So I can't attach a photo either.

We had some issues with storage that were slowing the board down. Photos can take up lots of space. It may be that the admin folks stopped raising the quote to save space (which we have to pay for). Or maybe they didn't notice.

Most folks here who post images or photos use a free image hosting service like imgr. I use imgbb. If I understand it correctly, the image lives on the host's servers and not on ours. I took a quick look at several recent postings of images, and none of them used the board's attachment feature. They are either using a hosting service or a direct link to an online image.

The last thread where I could recall you posting photos was the Israel thread. That was in October. Here's one: viewtopic.php?p=2847462#p2847462
I can tell that you used the attachment function because of the file name under the photo. The attachment function adds that. It was in December, I think, that we started having storage problems.

Bottom line: no one can currently use the attachment feature. People that are currently posting photos are using hosting services. I recommend imgbb -- it's free and it's very easy to use. If you choose that one and have any questions, let me know and I'd be happy to help.
he/him

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware the board supported a script to share photos from outside.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

You're welcome. :D
he/him