Rules and Moderator information

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Re: Rules and Moderator information

Post by dantana »

Hmm, is there a poisoners sock puppets handbook available anywhere? I mean, can't one just set up a sock on a diff. computer? Like, a person could just use a spouse or a friends computer, and A. Mike, well... I guess he could just go rent one.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:39 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Are you positive about that? Is it automatic, or would the suspension have to be done manually for each?
If I recall correctly it's manually for each. When a mod opens a user history display, it shows all the socks as well.
Right. Banning one account does not automatically ban any others.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

DoctorCamNC4Me:

People are allowed to behave and act in ways that annoy others, just so long as they don’t break any rules.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:46 am
DoctorCamNC4Me:

People are allowed to behave and act in ways that annoy others, just so long as they don’t break any rules.
No one is talking about annoyances, Shades. Please don't be facetious. Your new(ish) mods are doing a great job, but what is being talked about currently are the disruptions, the derailments, and the very real harassment taking place in our conversations, as instigated by a single participant. These things have a real effect on our community. It's also having a very real effect on our community that this participant is taking advantage of the fact that you allow the targeted sexual harassment of the very few posters here who are known to be female. (yes, yes, I know it's "only" allowed in two places. Do you really think that changes anything?)

To that end, it would be helpful to know what happens when someone does break the rules? And then continues to break the rules? And then breaks the rules some more? And then are publicly warned not to break the rules? And then have the rules publicly explained to them? And then continues to disrupt, harass and derail, ad nauseam?

Note this is ONE single poster I am describing, and who others have described in this thread, including the commenter you are responding to, as well as several mods. This is one single poster, who continues to participate with a publicly stated goal of disrupting, derailing, and harassing. This is not just a difficult or annoying person (God knows every single one of us qualifies for that description at different times). This is a person who has clearly signaled his intent to continue to harass, disrupt and derail, with no intention of voluntarily stopping. It is not an unclear situation. Is there a way to maintain our community that keeps your goal of free speech intact?

And lastly, just an observation: we owe the mods a 2021 bonus. Or at least hazard pay. They are doing a great job being your clones. : D
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
DoctorCamNC4Me:

I don't think that Cam was referring to being annoyed. If I am wrong, I'm happy to be corrected. Did any of the mods keep a copy of the post that I reported for sexual harassment and if so, did you read it? What would your own ruling have been on that particular post?

I just want to say this, too. You wouldn't know it by my overall posting history on this board but I can be as crude and disgusting as the next guy around here. If you doubt that, you need only ask Gunnar or Gad as reliable references. I have seen more trials by fire than anyone has a right to and I promise you I can fight fire with fire and give as good/worse as I get, and I can sustain it for years ongoing. Again, ask those two posters for confirmation that what I have stated is true and accurate of my posting history before you ever laid eyes on LSD.

The thing is...is that I don't do it on this board. I respect the nature and rules of this board and I do my best to follow them. The troll in question tries to do neither of those things. They in fact, put all their efforts into, well, crapping up the place.

Once again, have you seen a copy of the post that I reported and if so, how would you yourself have ruled on it?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:36 pm

And lastly, just an observation: we owe the mods a 2021 bonus. Or at least hazard pay. They are doing a great job being your clones. : D
Touche! (Especially that last bit.)
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
DoctorCamNC4Me:

You fantastically misread my exegesis if you read it at all, and you perfectly ‘object lessoned’ my point about the absentee father archetype. Again, it’s your sandbox, so if you mind the cat using it to do his business and having your mods picking up the crap and moving it to another box then cool. The slow bleed will continue unabated. Personally, quarantining the cat on occasion would seem the wiser course, but like I said it’s your show and despite the turbulence I still want to express gratitude to you and the mods for the forums. Some of the conversations here, that are still happening, are *chef’s kiss*.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
DoctorCamNC4Me:

You fantastically misread my exegesis if you read it at all, and you perfectly ‘object lessoned’ my point about the absentee father archetype. Again, it’s your sandbox, so if you mind the cat using it to do his business and having your mods picking up the crap and moving it to another box then cool. The slow bleed will continue unabated. Personally, quarantining the cat on occasion would seem the wiser course, but like I said it’s your show and despite the turbulence I still want to express gratitude to you and the mods for the forums. Some of the conversations here, that are still happening, are *chef’s kiss*.

- Doc
You're welcome, Doc. I've read and participated in what I think are some wonderful conversations lately. I hope I can play some role in allowing that to continue to happen.
he/him

Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:36 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
DoctorCamNC4Me:

No one is talking about annoyances, Shades. Please don't be facetious. Your new(ish) mods are doing a great job, but what is being talked about currently are the disruptions, the derailments, and the very real harassment taking place in our conversations, as instigated by a single participant. These things have a real effect on our community. It's also having a very real effect on our community that this participant is taking advantage of the fact that you allow the targeted sexual harassment of the very few posters here who are known to be female. (yes, yes, I know it's "only" allowed in two places. Do you really think that changes anything?)

To that end, it would be helpful to know what happens when someone does break the rules? And then continues to break the rules? And then breaks the rules some more? And then are publicly warned not to break the rules? And then have the rules publicly explained to them? And then continues to disrupt, harass and derail, ad nauseam?

Note this is ONE single poster I am describing, and who others have described in this thread, including the commenter you are responding to, as well as several mods. This is one single poster, who continues to participate with a publicly stated goal of disrupting, derailing, and harassing. This is not just a difficult or annoying person (God knows every single one of us qualifies for that description at different times). This is a person who has clearly signaled his intent to continue to harass, disrupt and derail, with no intention of voluntarily stopping. It is not an unclear situation. Is there a way to maintain our community that keeps your goal of free speech intact?

I agree with all the points made by Marcus. This is not about "annoyance", but about intentionally destructive behaviour pursued with great energy and determination.

The price of allowing AM to continue his deliberate rule-breaking disruption and nastiness in this forum is indeed its steady diminution as a place people are willing to come to for discussion. Eventually there will be nothing here but AM congratulating himself from the summit of his self-created dunghill. I have him on ignore, but any new potential poster who turns up here can hardly avoid getting an eyeful of AM's odoriferous emissions within 24 hours of their arrival. And then they are unlikely to stick around.

Shades, is that a price worth paying?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:59 am
I have him on ignore, but any new potential poster who turns up here can hardly avoid getting an eyeful of AM's odoriferous emissions within 24 hours of their arrival. And then they are unlikely to stick around.

Shades, is that a price worth paying?
The other issue is that not only will this conduct drive potential new posters away, it will encourage the registration of new posters who are of the same ilk. We had two of them going on at the same time for months here. Do we really want to see the place overrun with this kind of activity?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!