Thursday Election Updates

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Thursday Election Updates

Post by Gunnar »

I can't help wondering if Susan Collins' vote against confirming Amy Coney Barrett gained her just enough additional votes to push her past Sara Gideon in the Maine Senatorial race. I suppose there is no way to be sure, one way or the other.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 am
subgenius wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:11 am

I believe the point, the obvious point, is that "vote" isnt just every piece of paper that shows up. And while you are about to tout the legitimacy here for the "legality" of everything going on, i will be busy re-reading your post about the inherent corruption and evil of the legal system in this country....
My, my, my. We’re really butt hurt tonight, aren’t we Trump sycophant?

GA: 2400

AZ: Biden lead shrinks to 46K.

GA: 2000

PA: 42,000
All that aside, given your vast, albeit admittedly steeped in systemic racism training, legal knowledge- what is your opinion on
the Boockvar case ?
Is there merit in the argument that the U.S. Constitution directly grants "election powers" to the legislature of Pennsylvania, thus state courts have no authority to alter state election law for federal office, including the presidency. Ergo, the U.S. Supreme Court could strike down the extension of the Pennsylvania deadline to accept ballots until Friday and order the state to reject any ballots that arrived after Election Day on Tuesday ?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:42 am
subgenius wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:58 am

and it only took a water main break...
Did you even listen to what Trump himself said or are you hell bent on misquoting him?
Shouldn't you still be in a frenzied panic about the boogeyman du jour?
I wasn't quoting or misquoting anyone...just referencing a coincidental fact.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

subgenius wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:44 pm
Do you mean Trump? Yeah, we would all like a break from that train wreck.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The report said only 160,000 more mail-in ballots to count in Pennsylvania. They will probably be through before Nevada if they do not get invaded by some right-wing insurrectionists.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:51 pm
subgenius wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:44 pm
Do you mean Trump? Yeah, we would all like a break from that train wreck.
I do appreciate how succinctly subs has described Trump there.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, the bogeyman pissed off a bunch of Republicans with regard to to his attempts to undermine our faith in voting:

https://www.axios.com/trump-republicans ... 52b85.html

Not that I’d expect any —-o O o——s to actually click on the link and read the quotes. There’s scrolling involved, after all.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

And just like that PA shifts to Biden's favor. If states finish where they are now at that puts Biden at 306, right in line with the majority of models for this election.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:26 pm
Well, the bogeyman pissed off a bunch of Republicans with regard to to his attempts to undermine our faith in voting:

Not that I’d expect any —-o O o——s to actually click on the link and read the quotes. There’s scrolling involved, after all.

- Doc
Always ready to help those in need ....

"This is getting insane": Republicans rebuke Trump over baseless election claims
A growing list of Republicans have reproached President Trump for his baseless claims of widespread voter fraud.

Why it matters: In televised remarks on Thursday evening. the president provided no evidence for his claim that widespread voter fraud has caused his initial lead in the presidential race to slip away. He also pledged to continue fighting to have ballots thrown out in the courts.

What they're saying:

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie: "We heard nothing today about any evidence. This kind of thing, all it does is inflame without informing. And we cannot permit inflammation without information."

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah): "Counting every vote is at the heart of Democracy. That process is often hard and, for those running, frustrating. The votes will be counted. If there are irregularities alleged, they will be investigated and ultimately resolved in the courts. Have faith in democracy, in our Constitution, and in the American people."

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.): "I saw the president's speech last night and it was very hard to watch. The president's allegations of large-scale fraud and theft of the election are just not substantiated. I'm not aware of any significant wrongdoing here."

Former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.): "No Republican should be okay with the President's statements just now. Unacceptable. Period."

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R): "There is no defense for the President’s comments tonight undermining our Democratic process. America is counting the votes, and we must respect the results as we always have before. No election or person is more important than our Democracy."

Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas): "A sitting president undermining our political process & questioning the legality of the voices of countless Americans without evidence is not only dangerous & wrong, it undermines the very foundation this nation was built upon. Every American should have his or her vote counted."

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.): "We want every vote counted, yes every legal vote (of course). But, if you have legit concerns about fraud present EVIDENCE and take it to court. STOP Spreading debunked misinformation... This is getting insane."

Rep. Denver Riggleman (R-Va.): "Like [Rep. Kinzinger], I took an oath to defend this country and fight for the democratic ideals it stands for. Count every vote, yes, but stop the Bravo Sierra, Mr. President, and respect the democratic process that makes America great."

Rep. Paul Mitchell (R-Mich.): "Every legal vote should and will be counted — as they always are. Where there are issues there are ways to address them. If anyone has proof of wrongdoing, it should be presented and resolved. Anything less harms the integrity of our elections and is dangerous for our democracy."

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge (R): "With his remarks from the White House tonight, the President disrespected every single American who figured out a way to safely vote amid a pandemic that has taken 235,000 lives. Not to mention those who are dutifully counting that vote. Absolutely shameful. Yet so predictable."

Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer: "I haven't seen any evidence of it. And again, I don't think it helps his case ... If he sees an instance in Pennsylvania or Nevada and this particular thing happened, then call it out. ... But saying voter fraud ... You can't just throw a term out that without being specific."

19 former U.S. attorneys, all of whom served under Republican presidents, said in a statement: “We hereby call upon the president to patiently and respectfully allow the lawful vote-counting process to continue, in accordance with applicable federal and state laws, and to avoid any further comments or other actions which can serve only to undermine our democracy."

Of note: Many Republicans who have condemned Trump's recent comments have been critics of the president in the past.

The big picture: Vice President Mike Pence, who did not appear with Trump at Thursday's televised briefing, tweeted, "I Stand With President [Trump]. We must count every LEGAL vote."
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:26 pm

——D o c——
Because the relentless and false claims about Russians in 2016 entitles guys like you to feign contempt now...legit.
oh.
and I went ahead and F.I.F.Y.