Assualt weapons

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Assualt weapons

Post by _RockSlider »

maklelan wrote:It's pretty clear you don't have the foggiest idea what's going on in this discussion.

Mak, once again, not just in this thread but several others I've tried to listen to what you are saying and like I said in the previous post, I find you very intelligent and a good guy. But I'm afraid your constant belittlement of me is going to put you on my mental ignore. It's really too bad that in debates on this site you feel you need to beat people down ... dude, your arguments are plenty strong enough without that.

I'm sorry that I have offended you to such a point that you have felt these personal attacks to be necessary.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

maklelan wrote:But you've also pointed at the dropping rates of gun-related homicide.

I got sucked in and was not careful in my responses. I did not intend to argue this point (I think I quoted Tator was all).

Are the odds you'll need your gun dropping or rising? You can't have it both ways. Which is it?

ISIS scares me, France and CA scare me. Not based on any facts, just gut feeling and the seeming rise in these "mass shootings" I believe the odds are rising.

No, you're just rationalizing your desire to have guns around you, and you're doing a laughable job of it.

Once again, thanks for insulting me ... it helps a lot with the discussion. I believe I've already conceded, but of course keep bashing me Mak.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Ceeboo wrote:Having said the above already - early in the thread:

It seems clear to me that something needs to be done about gun control in the US. I simply and honestly have no idea what that something ought to be.

A few more thoughts - in no particular order of importance:

I think about the constitution -
I think about the sport -
I think about domestic violence -
I think about gang wars -
I think about mentally ill people -
I think about accidents -
I think about rights that people have died to defend -
I think about people who want to murder other people -

I think about the potential dangers of removing guns from law abiding citizens.

I think about what the impact will really be - the real impact - that any law - of any kind - will have on people who don't obey laws.

I think about things we have already made to be against the law and how that has had almost zero impact on the portion of people who have no interest in obeying laws.

I think about the probability of people who want to get an assault weapon - getting an assault weapon - no matter what the law is.

In short - this is a fantastically complex and deeply troubling issue/topic and I don't know what ought to be done - if anything - about it.

I want to repeat a few things:

I have never owned any guns - I personally don't like them.
I am very ignorant and uninformed about the many types of guns - and I am just as ignorant and uninformed about the various potential degrees of danger and damage that each type of gun brings.

Lastly, I am disappointed in how this thread has evolved. I thought it had a chance to be a very informative and valuable discussion about a very complex topic. But - that's just my opinion.

Peace,
Ceeboo

Spot on, great summary Ceeboo. And thanks for the support.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

RockSlider wrote:
maklelan wrote:But you've also pointed at the dropping rates of gun-related homicide.

I got sucked in and was not careful in my responses. I did not intend to argue this point (I think I quoted Tator was all).

Are the odds you'll need your gun dropping or rising? You can't have it both ways. Which is it?

ISIS scares me, France and CA scare me. Not based on any facts, just gut feeling and the seeming rise in these "mass shootings" I believe the odds are rising.

No, you're just rationalizing your desire to have guns around you, and you're doing a laughable job of it.

Once again, thanks for insulting me ... it helps a lot with the discussion. I believe I've already conceded, but of course keep bashing me Mak.

ISIS is a Death Cult, it wants to scare you into doing something stupid. Like banning all Muslims from the US, or closing Mosques in the western world. They win when we do. The best thing to do is capture/kill their leaders, take their money, and convince the vast majority of Muslim majority countries to fight them. Unlike Turkey, and Saudi Arabia funding/arming them, and John "McFool" McCain wanting to give money/arms to the "good rebels" in Syria.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

maklelan wrote:The solution is really not as amorphous and mysterious as some people make it seem. There are effective and informed solutions available, we just have the NRA dumping tens of millions of dollars a year into unilaterally impeding our attempts to implement them, since they will cut into their profits.

Hey Mak, it was immediately after I posted about a similar battle that raged for years, that you noted I was clueless about what was going on in this thead.

Seriously do you own any recreational vehicles? I wondered if you also fall into the "right" side of that battle. Or maybe you simply don't have a horse in that race?

The above quoted statement tells me you did not understand what I was trying to say/share there. Maybe it's not crystal clear your way, maybe 100% your way is not the right answer. Maybe it takes all those millions, and total nastiness on both sides to somehow "buy" some kind of balance. It's unfortunate that is the way our government works ... but that's just how it is.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Rock! :smile:

RockSlider wrote: And thanks for the support.

I wasn't really supporting you - I was just trying to see if I could get Kevin to blow another gasket!

_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey Rock! :smile:

I wasn't really supporting you - I was just trying to see if I could get Kevin to blow another gasket!

I wrote Kevin off, it's not even worth the bother.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

RockSlider wrote:Sorry for the horrible english/spelling Mak.

Hey, you know I keep coming around to believing you are a good guy. Do you really have to be rude and insulting to me? I poked a bit of fun at you getting caught with the feminist stuff but I don't think I've been rude and insulting to you?

I wasn't "caught" with any feminist stuff, my statements were just egregiously misconstrued, but I'm happy to apologize for being rude and insulting.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

mak wrote:I wasn't "caught" with any feminist stuff, my statements were just egregiously misconstrued

For a minute there I thought I was reading an ldsfaqs post. :eek:
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

maklelan wrote:but I'm happy to apologize for being rude and insulting.