Obama now wants guns from these 47,000 people....

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: Obama now wants guns from these 47,000 people....

Post by _Brackite »

ldsfaqs wrote:http://www.wnd.com/2015/12/obama-now-wants-guns-from-these-47000-people/

Not even Marines, air marshals, congressmen, journalists and babies safe from scheme
Just wow..... Obama and liberals are so out of touch.

I think that linking to the LA Times instead will be better than linking to World Net Daily on making the point against President Obama's position on this issue.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editoria ... story.html

One problem is that the people on the no-fly list (as well as the broader terror watch list from which it is drawn) have not been convicted of doing anything wrong. They are merely suspected of having terror connections. And the United States doesn't generally punish or penalize people unless and until they have been charged and convicted of a crime. In this case, the government would be infringing on a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution — and yes, like it or not, the right to buy a gun is a constitutional right according to the U.S. Supreme Court.

How certain is it that the people on the two lists are dangerous? Well, we don't really know, because the no-fly-list and the broader watch list are government secrets. People are not notified when they are put on, nor why, and they usually don't discover they have been branded suspected terrorists until they try to travel somewhere.

But serious flaws in the list have been identified. According to the American Civil Liberties Union, which is suing the government over the no-fly list, the two lists include thousands of names that have been added in error, as well as the names of family members of suspected terrorists. The no-fly list has also been used to deny boarding passes to people who only share a name with a suspected terrorist. Former Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) was famously questioned at airports in 2004 because a terror suspect had used the alias "T. Kennedy." It took the senator's office three weeks to get his name cleared.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I confess, I didn't read the article. I'm getting tired of extremists of the left or right. :rolleyes:
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

honorentheos wrote:
ldsfaqs wrote:Not even Marines...

Because prior military service makes one a patriot-saint, is that the implication?

I like you Betty...

My blog
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

ldsfaqs wrote:http://www.wnd.com/2015/12/obama-now-wants-guns-from-these-47000-people/

Not even Marines, air marshals, congressmen, journalists and babies safe from scheme
Just wow..... Obama and liberals are so out of touch.

A pathetic bit of naïve identity politics.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

deacon blues wrote:I confess, I didn't read the article. I'm getting tired of extremists of the left or right. :rolleyes:

I concur.
Extremism of any sort is tiresome, damaging and ultimately of no constructive worth to society in general.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')