San Bernardino shooters got money from SLC Bank

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

San Bernardino shooters got money from SLC Bank

Post by _I have a question »

SALT LAKE CITY — A husband and wife who shot and killed 14 people at a holiday work party in San Bernardino, California, last week withdrew a loan from a Utah bank shortly before the shooting, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

The newspaper cites unnamed sources who say Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik took out $28,500 from Salt Lake-headquartered WebBank "just weeks" before the deadly incident, which has since been condemned as an act of terrorism.

Separate unnamed sources said investigators believe the couple used the money to purchase two rifles used in the attack, pay for pipe bomb materials later found in their home, arrange for target practice at a gun range and acquire a rental vehicle, the Times reports.

Terry Fahn, a spokesman for WebBank, issued a statement Tuesday saying he could not discuss specific loans, but added the bank will work with "agencies investigating this matter."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... -bank.html

*awkward*
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: San Bernardino shooters got money from Salt Lake City Ba

Post by _The CCC »

It is, but I don't hold the bank responsible for the acts of two mass murdering idiots. I seriously doubt the couple walked into that bank and asked for a loan saying they wanted the money to commit mass murder. More likely they kept quite about their motives, and just wanted to use other peoples money in the cause.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The CCC wrote:It is, but I don't hold the bank responsible for the acts of two mass murdering idiots. I seriously doubt the couple walked into that bank and asked for a loan saying they wanted the money to commit mass murder. More likely they kept quite about their motives, and just wanted to use other peoples money in the cause.

I think you're probably right.
The Bank Executives are probably losing sleep over checking that proper procedures for authorising the loan have been followed.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Imagine being the loan officer, or underwriter on this. Gotta be a hell of a thing to process through emotionally.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: San Bernardino shooters got money from SLC Bank

Post by _Some Schmo »

Loan Officer: ...and what is the loan for?

Syed: Well, we'll need a rental car to get to the...

Tashfeen (kicking Syed under the desk): ...to the dealership. We're buying a new car... because we don't have one... so rental car. Yeah...

Loan Officer: Very good. If you'll just sign here... and here... and here...
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

I will ask the obvious.

If any of those involved in approval of this loan were obedient Mormons, WHERE THE “F” WAS the holy ghost???
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:I will ask the obvious.

If any of those involved in approval of this loan were obedient Mormons, WHERE THE “F” WAS the holy ghost???

Whew. I was worried people here wouldn't be able to find a way to blame Mormons in some way for 14 deaths in San Bernardino.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

maklelan wrote:
Whew. I was worried people here wouldn't be able to find a way to blame Mormons in some way for 14 deaths in San Bernardino.

_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:I will ask the obvious.

If any of those involved in approval of this loan were obedient Mormons, WHERE THE f*** WAS the holy ghost???

Why wasn't Polygamy Porter at that bank to stop a crime before it ever happened?
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

The CCC wrote:Why wasn't Polygamy Porter at that bank to stop a crime before it ever happened?
Polygamy-Porter is a bigoted asshole as maklelan already pointed out. It doesn't do any good to respond to this lunatic.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom