Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:58 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:45 am
Sorry about that!

No he wasn't. Something about the court rejecting expert witnesses for the prosecution. I don't know why. But listen. If the forensics investigation of her remains and the site at which they were found turns up anything (after 3 years but still it's not impossible) the whole case is back on the table again and if there are any ties to him, it starts all over again with him as suspect.

The precise location hasn't been disclosed nor anything else regarding the condition of the remains, clothing, whatever else may have been found there. I think it'll be quite some time before any information re: forensics is made public and for all we know, it might not be made public until there's an arrest affidavit in place.

I just hope they have something. Anything. That provides some information as to what happened to her. We have to keep in mind that this is likely a dump site and not the actual location of the crime.
Maybe not. A current theory is he kept her alive so cadaver dogs wouldn't respond, and then he killed her at the dump site.
If you ask me, Barry Morphew is guilty but what do I know?
I agree.
Oh how horrid. I haven't heard that theory yet. :shock:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:58 am
A curse be upon you for leading me to read the entire arrest affidavit. Was the husband charged? Tried? What a horrible case.
Sorry about that!

No he wasn't. Something about the court rejecting expert witnesses for the prosecution. I don't know why. But listen. If the forensics investigation of her remains and the site at which they were found turns up anything (after 3 years but still it's not impossible) the whole case is back on the table again and if there are any ties to him, it starts all over again with him as suspect.

The precise location hasn't been disclosed nor anything else regarding the condition of the remains, clothing, whatever else may have been found there. I think it'll be quite some time before any information re: forensics is made public and for all we know, it might not be made public until there's an arrest affidavit in place.

I just hope they have something. Anything. That provides some information as to what happened to her. We have to keep in mind that this is likely a dump site and not the actual location of the crime.

That would be my bet.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sorry about that!

That would be my bet.
You know maybe the rejection of expert witnesses and ditching the first trial will turn out to have been a blessing in disguise. As a result of the discovery of her remains there could be evidence that ties BM directly to the murder that they didn't have before.

And they'll nail him this time.

I'm all about accountability and justice. I hope both can be had in this case.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

What did I say? It's not over until it's over and even then, it's not over. It's never over.

Brian Laundrie told parents Gabby Petito was ‘gone’ three weeks before remains found

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/bri ... UO2QFLV74/
In a recent court filing, Petito’s parents said that Laundrie called his parents on Aug. 29, 2021, saying that Petito was “gone” and that he needed a lawyer.

The filing says that Laundrie’s mother and father contacted an attorney the same day as the call with them, sending a retainer to the lawyer, Steven Bertolino, on Sept. 2, 2021. Bertolino then retained legal representation for Laundrie in Wyoming, the complaint said, according to CNN.
The True Crime Community and national news outlets just blew a gasket. Again.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'll bet. Awful case gets awfuller. :( :(
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:18 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53 am
That would be my bet.
You know maybe the rejection of expert witnesses and ditching the first trial will turn out to have been a blessing in disguise. As a result of the discovery of her remains there could be evidence that ties BM directly to the murder that they didn't have before.

And they'll nail him this time.

I'm all about accountability and justice. I hope both can be had in this case.
It might be on...autopsy results of Suzanne's remains have been released.

Suzanne Morphew’s death ruled a homicide, animal sedatives found in her body
More here: https://krdo.com/news/2024/04/29/colora ... morphew-2/
EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) - An autopsy by the El Paso County Coroner’s Office found missing Salida woman Suzanne Morphew was killed.

On May 10, 2020, Morphew supposedly went on a bike ride along County Road 225 and West Highway 50 in Chaffee County and never returned home. A neighbor reported her missing and her bike and helmet were eventually found along the side of the road the day she disappeared.

More than three years later, her body was found buried in a shallow grave just south of Moffat, along Highway 17, roughly 50 minutes south of her Salida home. The El Paso County Coroner’s Office performed an autopsy days later but the results weren’t released until Monday.

The report said multiple bags of bones were recovered from the Saguache County site where her body was discovered, as well as seven bags worth of clothing.

The coroner determined Morphew died by “homicide by unspecified means in the setting of butorphanol, azaperone and medetomidine intoxication.” Those three drugs are commonly used as an animal sedative for dogs, cats, pigs and even elephants.
“These drugs are marketed as a compound injectable chemical immobilizer for wildlife providing pharmacologically reversible analgesia, sedation and immobilization,” the autopsy report said.

“Before this autopsy came back, I had told several people I bet its going to come back with tranquilizer (drugs) in her,” said Tisha Leewaye, who became Suzanne’s friend after she started coming to her hair salon. “But at that point, two or three years later, after they found her, was there going to be anything even in her remains.”

However, she said even with the autopsy report, the Salida community is still left with many unknowns. “There's not a lot of answers yet,” Leewaye said. “With this autopsy coming out, it raised a lot more questions.”

A year after Morphew disappeared, her husband Barry was arrested and charged with murder. During the investigation, authorities found a sheath to a tranquilizer dart in the Morphew's dryer. Prosecutors planned on calling a veterinarian to testify about animal tranquilizers and how it affects humans, but the judge ruled against it, citing a lack of Morphew's DNA on the tranquilizer sheath.

These problems persisted until April 19, 2022, when the 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office dropped the charges against Barry because of a lack of evidence. Now, two years later, Iris Eytan, Barry Morphew’s attorney, said the family is still “skeptical about the integrity of this investigation.”

“The Morphews have prayed the authorities would remove their blinders and not only find Suzanne, but find the suspect responsible for her disappearance and murder,” said a statement from the family following the release of the autopsy report. “However, the Morphews are left with more questions than answers and a lack of justice for Suzanne, the family and the community.”

Eytan said unknown male DNA was found in Morphew’s car, where her bike was parked and even on her bike. However, she said authorities won’t tell the family if her clothes have been tested for DNA. The Colorado Bureau of Investigations is also in possession of a single “weathered bullet.”

“DNA left on her clothing by the murderer could bring justice for Suzanne, her family and the community,” the statement said. “The authorities will also not provide the Morphew’s any information regarding whether they have performed any testing on the bullet that was collected with Suzanne’s remains.”

Since Morphew’s body was discovered in Saguache County, the 12th Judicial District Attorney Anne Kelly is part of the investigation and would be the one to press charges.

“I am aware that the autopsy report of Suzanne Morphew is now complete and that the cause of death was established as homicide by undetermined means. Suzanne Morphew’s remains were found in the area surrounding the town of Moffat in Saguache County. Because Saguache County is located in the Twelfth Judicial District, my Office continues to provide guidance to the investigation team. Because the case is still under active investigation, I am unable to comment further at this time. We will continue to follow the evidence and seek justice for Suzanne.”

- Anne Kelly

The Morphew family was offered to retrieve Suzanne’s body, but “they want to ensure the suspect is apprehended before they take what could be an important piece of evidence in the suspect’s prosecution.”

Anyone with information regarding this case can contact the Morphew Tip Line Phone at 719-312-7530 or the Morphew Tip Line Email: cdps_suzannemorphew_tipline@state.co.us
I wouldn't have known about this today if it weren't for a True Crime youtuber's coverage coming up in my feed. Here it is if anyone is interested. This is DutyRon (retired NYC detective) and his CSI colleague Ed, also retired. They went through the autopsy report. Ed knows two of the expert docs who participated at autopsy. This is over an hour but a good hour well spent I'd say.

Suzanne Morphew Autopsy report Results what's next for Barry Morphew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgJjLBatkU

I'll issue a little spoiler. They speculate that Barry sedated her and injected the rest of the drugs into her chemo port.

Slava Ukraini!