Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

Post by Jersey Girl »

The Petito parents are on their way to WY to bring their daughter home.

Human detection K-9 units in the Carlton Reserve. The reserve is closed. Again.

One positive that has come from this case is that it has brought heightened awareness to the need for training on the part of LE with regard to to identifying signs of DV and also the need for victim's advocates on the scene of a suspected case of DV. Untrained persons who have watched and examined the traffic stop video in UT, can see where the weak spots and red flags were in the interaction between LE, GP, and Brian Laundrie. I think that's been a valuable form of public education.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:56 pm

One positive that has come from this case is that it has brought heightened awareness to the need for training on the part of LE with regard to to identifying signs of DV and also the need for victim's advocates on the scene of a suspected case of DV. Untrained persons who have watched and examined the traffic stop video in UT, can see where the weak spots and red flags were in the interaction between LE, GP, and Brian Laundrie. I think that's been a valuable form of public education.
Interesting and perceptive stuff. But perhaps we are getting something of a surfeit of acronyms here? I believe

LE = Law enforcement = (basically) police - so what would we lose by just saying plain old 'police'?

And so on ... no disrespect intended, but the effort of decoding slows down reading.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Something is going down in the Carlton Reserve. Cadaver dog and the county medical examiner are on the scene. :shock: I don't see any confirmation on what this about. Could have nothing to do with the case. There's chatter about 'articles' of Brian Laundries being found. No idea why that would involve a ME. I would think...there would be some kind of public clarification later this afternoon or tomorrow.

Then again, this case is it's own animal so who knows.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ETA: Something about partial remains. I haven't verified this claim yet. Doing that now.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Confirmed articles and partial remains.

I'll just post part of this article. It's out from WFLA in Florida. Going to bold a few things.
TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Law enforcement officials searching for Brian Laundrie found partial human remains in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Wednesday, according to NBC News.

The Sarasota County Medical Examiner’s Office has been called to the North Port park where authorities have been searching for the 23-year-old, an office representative has confirmed.

The news comes after items belonging to Laundrie were reportedly found at the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park. Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino told WFLA’s Mahsa Saeidi that Laundrie’s parents went to the park to search for their son on Wednesday morning, and met with North Port police and the FBI.
https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-coun ... continues/

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Listening to WFLA and sharing my thoughts here.

Previously, there were human detection dogs in the park. I'm sure I wrote about it above. The park was open to the public yesterday and then closed this morning. My thinking is that someone found articles, LE arrived, called in the parents to identify the articles, then LE (or someone else) located partial human remains. ME would have been called following that. Or, ME could have possibly been called in to collect the articles for testing.

I see quite a lot of comments online from frustrated people...if he was there the whole time, WHY didn't they locate him? First of all, we don't know if the human remains AND the articles belong to Brian Laundrie. All I've seen is statements that articles related to the case have been found and then later, human remains. We don't know if this is Brian Laundrie partial remains or not and I think it's unlikely that we'll know until the ME collects and examines the remains UNLESS there is something about the remains that makes the remains identifiable by the parents.

So, assuming these are his articles AND remains, why didn't they find him sooner? Here's my answer to that oft repeated question. The Carlton Reserve is 25 THOUSAND SQUARE ACRES of land. A grid search, in the sense that we think of a grid search, couldn't be conducted. That is to say, there were not lines of people walking in one direction shoulder-to-shoulder in grids as happens in cases we've seen before. Given the make up of the reserve itself, that would have made that type of grid search clearly impossible.

Some part of me hopes that the human remains ARE NOT that of Brian Laundrie. Some part of me hopes that he is still at large and will be taken into custody alive, arrested, served with an additional warrant for murder in WY, tried, convicted of all charges, and put in a cage for the rest of his miserable life.

Because death of a suspect isn't justice. in my opinion.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

If anyone is interested (I doubt it, but still) this is what I'm listening to and viewing. WFLA right out of the Florida. They've got all the direct reports and eyes in the air.

WFLA Now: Partial human remains found during search for Brian Laundrie, reports say #HeyJB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuo-ErNGmAA

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Yeah so at least one item belonging to Brian Laundrie is the backpack that has been found. I assume it was identified as belonging to him by his parents or that they at least were asked to describe it. Apparently seasonal receding waters is what changed the search game here. No idea if the partial human remains had also been under water. Unless they found a body part that could have been easily identified as belonging to Brian Laundrie (getting a little graphic here) such as an arm or hand with tattoos, I wouldn't expect to have any further information coming forth for a good long while. If the hypothetical arm or hand were above ground and not under water, it's still possibly to identify tattoos even with skin slippage present. But who knows.

I hold out a hope that the remains are not Brian Laundrie for prosecution purposes. Dead body/not justice.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:02 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Interesting and perceptive stuff. But perhaps we are getting something of a surfeit of acronyms here? I believe

LE = Law enforcement = (basically) police - so what would we lose by just saying plain old 'police'?

And so on ... no disrespect intended, but the effort of decoding slows down reading.
I'm sorry, I hadn't seen this post until just now.

LE: Law enforcement
Brian Laundrie: Brian Laundrie
GP: Gabby Petito
DV: Domestic violence
FBI: Federal Bureau of Investigation.

It's quicker for me to abbreviate. That's why I do it. That's how I do it when discussing with other true crime followers.

I also (though it doesn't apply to the post you are replying to above) want to differentiate between FBI and LE because there are 2 different cases at work here. One for the federal crime (bank/wire fraud) and what will hopefully become a murder charge at state level in WY.

I guess I haven't said this on the thread, I am not sure, this isn't the main place I discuss these things. Anyway...the only pending charge right now is the bank/wire fraud which is a federal crime. There has not been an arrest warrant for murder out of WY and there won't be until after he is taken into custody alive, if that is even possible at this point given the partial remains discovered today in Florida.

If the remains are not those of Brian Laundrie, and if (lots of ifs here) he is taken into custody alive based on the federal arrest warrant, at some point after that WY will issue an arrest warrant for murder (probably not first degree) because the state of WY has a 180-day window of time from the issue of the arrest warrant to bring the case to trial, so they have to have their ducks lined up good and proper prior to that arrest and indictment. In other words, it seems that timing is all important.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The guy on the left might be the reason why people reported seeing Brian Laundrie on the AT:

He had his door kicked in by US Marshalls while staying at Fontana Village, which is 77 miles north of the trailhead in GA.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.