Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

Post by Lem »

It seems that the Laundrie family had to have known more than they are saying.

The search has been going on for more than a month. Shortly after the time when Brian L. went into the preserve, the rain caused flooding, which didn't recede until very recently, in the particular place where the remains were found.

Just days after the water receded, if I understand the story, the dad, Chris Laundrie, walked into the area of the preserve, about .6 miles from where Brian parked 5weeks ago, and within ONE HOUR, went off the main trail and into thick brush and undergrowth, and came out a few minutes later with a white hiking drybag and another large item belonging to his son. He said he found them 'just lying on the ground, beside the trail.' There is video of this. His wife stood absolutely still on the larger trail (or road), facing away from him when he went into the brush, and just waited. Chris L. didn't wait for LE to recover the evidence, he picked it up and walked it back to the LE officers. They were searching near where he searched and around that time or just after, LE found a backpack, a journal identified as Brian L.'s, and skeletal remains.

In my opinion, he knew exactly where to look, and he knew his son would be there dead, I assume from suicide, because he left him exactly there 5-6 weeks earlier. He had to have known what happened and that Brian didn't leave there, given how quickly he found his sons things.

He, his wife, and his son did not respond at all to the Petito's calls when their daughter was missing. Brian Laundrie drove from Wyoming to Florida, alone, in Gabby Petito's van, and they went on a family camping trip from around Sept 3 to7. Brian was never physically seen, as far as I know, after about Sept 6, in spite of police assuring everyone they knew exactly where he was (it came out later they did not).

The van was confiscated from the Laundries home around Sept 11th, when gabby was officially declared a missing person. Her body was found around the 18th, and cause of death was manual strangulation, announced a couple days later.

Approx.. 2.5 million was spent on the search for Brian Laundrie, at first as a missing person, then as a POI, finally as a fugitive. There was a warrant out for Brian Laundrie's arrest, due to illegal use of Gabby's bank accounts (casth withdrawals over $1000) around 8/30 - 9/1. Gabby was determined to have died sometime between 8/27 and 8/30. Brian was considered a person of interest in her murder, but the last week or so the FBI and LE news reports referred to him as a fugitive wanted in connection to her murder.
Last edited by Lem on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:05 am
There is clearly a lot going on here.

Jersey Girl - would it be possible for you to sum up the story so far in a few sentences, so people can decide whether they want to try to understand the current sequence of events?

I don't think I can sum it up in a few sentences. I can cobble together a timeline if you would like. Let me know. I might do it anyway just for myself.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:04 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:57 pm
Well, I’m interested in reading your thoughts now that this has come to light.

- Doc
Oh I just posted initial thoughts before seeing this post by you. We might have been posting at the same time. I'm going to stick with what I wrote in the wee hours yesterday, since I haven't had any time at all to process today's events re: FBI Denver press release. I just got in from a lengthy appointment. If I have more to say later, I will sure do that.

This is what I wrote in the wee hours of what was actually this morning. No, I wasn't up in the night on account of the case. A case of insomnia and thoughts about the case just collided in real time. ;-)
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:42 am
Seriously, where are you people when I'm up having murder/suicide epiphanies in the middle of the night? Pray (atheists, you too) that the notebook (paper OR electronic) was in the dry bag. PRAY that the contents of the notebook are recoverable. PRAY that the contents tell the story...partial lies or not, because truth will be present somewhere between the lines.

Theory...guy kills his girlfriend in the throes of a narc rage. He drives back to Florida (funded by using her bank card) to bring the van and himself back home. Feeds his parents a line of crap when he gets back. Gabby is going to meet up with her friend in (wherever it was supposed to be) and fly back later. Meets up with his family members for the last time at Fort DeSoto, they don't know it's the last time they'll ever all be together again, but he does. He goes home, packs up his stuff, leaves the burner phone and his wallet behind (because he's reached the final “F” it stage) tells his parents he's going to take a hike (he means it) and don't come looking for him. He takes the Mustang to Carlton Reserve and goes off into the wilderness to off himself but before he does, he composes a suicide note that either says goodbye OR includes a confession that describes what happened and why it happened and puts the notebook in the dry bag ensuring that it will be found intact, then takes the Taurus 380 he allegedly owns and shoots himself to death.

Because the guy didn't go into the swamp to let himself be torn apart by panthers, alligators, or other forms of wildlife including wild boars...die that way. He's not into suffering. He simply went there to sort himself out or had already sorted himself out(I think so), and decided to off himself.

Do I think he was remorseful? Perhaps, but I tend to think not. I think he figured that he boxed himself into a corner, couldn't face a trial, or life in prison, and headed for the nearest exit.

Let's just see how it goes...

If you all think I am insane with the true crime stuff, feel free to keep it to yourself. ;)

I need to check the timeline again. I believe the Petito parents informed the Laundrie parents that they were going to call the police on 11 Sep. His parents at first reported on 17 Sep that they hadn't seen him since the 14th. Then, they changed that to the 13th. So...he already had the heads up that LE had been notified and he got out of Dodge before her body was located so he didn't have to face the consequences of what he had done because narcs aren't equipped to deal with consequences that aren't coming from them. Consequences coming TO them? They're gone. Because they cannot withstand the narcissistic injury involved in a court trial and public scrutiny/condemnation that goes with it.*

I'll try to refine this later. Or tomorrow. Which is actually now.

*Which is exactly why Chris Watt went belly up and confessed to his crimes. He said he confessed because he didn't want to put the families through a trial. Nonsense. He didn't want to put himself through a trial. He could barely keep himself from jumping out of his own skin during the sentencing phase, particularly during the victim impact statements.
I need to correct something in the above comments. I just learned that the phone wasn't a burner phone. It was an AT&T phone with a corresponding account. More about that later...probably.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Lem wrote:In my opinion, he knew exactly where to look, and he knew his son would be there dead, I assume from suicide, because he left him exactly there 5-6 weeks earlier. He had to have known what happened and that Brian didn't leave there, given how quickly he found his sons things.
Sounds right, but why would they leave him there believing him to be a suicide risk? As bad as facing the music would be, wouldn't most parents still want to see their kid live?

option 1) maybe they aided him covering up his murder in a material way that would get them in trouble should Brian Laundrie testify in court. better he die.
option 2) they were all there together; he suddenly killed himself; they mourned, but they scattered to cover up the fact that they had material knowledge of what happened and weren't reporting it. they had to make it look like they didn't know where he was.

or what am I missing?
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:07 am
Lem wrote:In my opinion, he knew exactly where to look, and he knew his son would be there dead, I assume from suicide, because he left him exactly there 5-6 weeks earlier. He had to have known what happened and that Brian didn't leave there, given how quickly he found his sons things.
Sounds right, but why would they leave him there believing him to be a suicide risk? As bad as facing the music would be, wouldn't most parents still want to see their kid live?

option 1) maybe they aided him covering up his murder in a material way that would get them in trouble should Brian Laundrie testify in court. better he die.
option 2) they were all there together; he suddenly killed himself; they mourned, but they scattered to cover up the fact that they had material knowledge of what happened and weren't reporting it. they had to make it look like they didn't know where he was.

or what am I missing?
If I recall correctly, the dad said he went back to look for him, one day after he went hiking. He could have found him dead by suicide then, but that still doesn't explain why he didn't just tell police then, unless it was something like your option 2.

Its possible they sent him off for a hike and he was supposed to just lay low, or disappear, and he changed his mind and suicided, or died by accident. It may have finally dawned on the parents he hadn't escaped so they went back to where they left him to check.

I think he may have thought gabby's body wouldn't be found for a long time, if ever. I think it really was a fluke that the other van had their dash cam on and saw his van on the 27th in a really isolated section, just 900 feet from where her body was eventually found. I think that video went to the fbi, and they found her body just a day or two later, even though they had been searching for several weeks already.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:32 am

Law enforcement believes that guy is in an alligator infested area. It is possible his body doesn't exists anymore.
"God, I hate being right all the time" - Ian Malcolm
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kukulkan wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 pm
I was always under the impression he wasn't going to be found alive. He never struck me as a cold blooded killer who planned it all out, more so that he probably killer her in a spat of delirious rage. I've interpreted his departure from his family off into the woods was solely with the intent of ending his own life. I don't think he planned on coming back.
It was obvious. It is crazy that a lot of people reported seeing him everywhere, it just proves how unreliable human memory really is.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:07 am
they scattered to cover up the fact that they had material knowledge of what happened
Why?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

There's probably no way of knowing how this whole episode might have played out, had Gabi's body never been found. If Brian Laundrie did murder her, and he therefore decided to commit suicide, at least he spared society of the legal costs of indicting, prosecuting, trying, convicting and incarcerating him.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

They knew their son Brian was grieving- Steve Bertolino

I'm sorry I can't find a copy of this video anywhere else at the moment. All I have to offer is the reporter's comment on Twitter and the video is beneath that. Best I can do with a Twitter link.

Kristin Thorne
@KristinThorne
Emmy-award winning reporter for WABC Channel 7 Eyewitness News. Undergrad
@Georgetown
. Grad
@MedillSchool

Kristin Thorne
@KristinThorne
·
17h
For the first time, we are hearing about the moments before Brian Laundrie left his parent’s home on Sept. 13 to go to the Carlton Reserve. I asked attorney Steven Bertolino whether Brian’s parents feared Brian may hurt himself. His answer:
https://Twitter.com/KristinThorne?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor

Slava Ukraini!