Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:24 pm

And this is a "Syndrome"?

Jesus. Looks like a problem. I had no idea. I just figured there were more unsolved murder podcasts than actual unsolved murders and the media was just doing what media do - sell crap.
Yes it is a syndrome. For profit. In much the same way that the media covers political events and issues. The youtubers largely pick up the high profile cases from the media so that increases wide spread attention--high profile cases--involving white folks.

Here's an experiment. Here's a link to Dr. Todd Grande's channel. Scroll down the thumbnails and notice how many POC you actually see represented.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ToddGrande/videos
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Gorilla
Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Gorilla
Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So...if anyone is interested in following crime cases on youtube, it will take you a long while to figure out who is bullshitting for dollars and who really offers extensive coverage of cases. Who is sloppy, who is meticulous at picking up on breaking news. Which ones come in at the end of the day to recap and those who stream in real time using multiple scanners from various sources--police scanners, news outlets, you name it.

It might sound crazy but keep in mind that the travel vloggers who came up with the video of the van in Spread Creek likely helped to confirm part of the case for LE. The rest of youtube picked it up and are examining it in still shots...then you get the crazy people who are altering the stills. :roll: Those are the one's bullshitting for click bait bucks.

It can be difficult. Some youtubers are top notch, others not so much. I don't rely on any one channel. I visit those whom I've determined are more reliable. Some are former investigators, former LE, attorneys, psychologists, some are just regular folks who became interested. I pull from a variety of channels depending on their focus. You just have to sample them for yourself and see which channels align with your own intentions regarding crime cases.

Hands down no contest recommendation would be Stephanie Harlowe. She tends to cover cases after the fact. Cold cases, high profile, historical cases, and if you like spooky weirdness, she devotes the entire month of October to Harloween in which she covers the weirdest off the wall historical cases imaginable. She is one who does the deepest dive I've ever seen on youtube, and covers cases including the backgrounds of persons involved--into their childhoods, family dynamics, the whole nine yards.

Have a cozy fall evening coming up and want something new? Let Stephanie Harlowe tell you a story. 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:35 pm

I will do it. Why did you pick this particular channel or person? Who TF is this to you? Just curious.
You mean, Todd Grande? I watch him from time to time to hear his psych analysis. He's one that I tripped over while sampling channels some years back. Probably the Chris Watts case.

Some of the posters here liked his take on political figures I linked to.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:43 pm
That guy looks weird.

This is weird seeing this as I scrolled down.

https://youtu.be/RncoHSVSYB0

I was at the scene outside the Deseret Gym when Hofmann was still on the ground next to his bombed car. I was there before the cameras. I stuck around and watched them load his bombed ass in the ambulance. I was just a kid. My mom was with me too. Strange times.
I posted about that one on the previous board. He made some mistakes in conveying LDS concepts and JSJr.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hmmmm...thinking about this. What hard evidence is there that Laundrie returned to Florida besides the parent's claim? I can't think of any at the moment. The van was in the parent's driveway...that doesn't mean that Brian Laundrie was there. So...there's going to have to be some evidence between Wyoming and Florida (the trip, gas stations, security footage) to prove that he actually returned home with the van.

:shock:

So, resorting to conjecture, he could have phoned home, Dad flew out to get the van/give him money, drove the van home while Brian took off to parts unknown. Hopefully the van itself will tell part of the story. These days, vehicles talk.

Then again, so far as we know, there's no hard evidence that Brian Laundrie did anything wrong at all. He could have simply ditched her and the rest remains a mystery.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Just putting this out there. FBI left the coroner's office about a half hour ago. Autopsy is probably complete. I am sure the coroner will make a statement later in the day or early evening.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I just scrolled through this thread and couldn't find the link to the traffic stop--I thought I had posted it? Whatever. It turns out that the 911 operator dropped the ball to some degree. The man who called in the 911 specifically stated that the man was hitting the woman. The 911 operator did not convey that information to LE. So when LE showed up, all they knew was that there was a disturbance of some kind between the two. Gabby admitted that she was the one hitting Brian. According to the recording of the 911 call, that's not what was reported.

Missed opportunity to thwart a possible homicide. Had LE had the details, they might have been able to do more than separate the couple and encourage her to press charges---call her parents, get her home to safety.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 pm
Hmmmm...thinking about this. What hard evidence is there that Laundrie returned to Florida besides the parent's claim? I can't think of any at the moment. The van was in the parent's driveway...that doesn't mean that Brian Laundrie was there. So...there's going to have to be some evidence between Wyoming and Florida (the trip, gas stations, security footage) to prove that he actually returned home with the van.

:shock:

So, resorting to conjecture, he could have phoned home, Dad flew out to get the van/give him money, drove the van home while Brian took off to parts unknown. Hopefully the van itself will tell part of the story. These days, vehicles talk.

Then again, so far as we know, there's no hard evidence that Brian Laundrie did anything wrong at all. He could have simply ditched her and the rest remains a mystery.
Apparently a neighbor sighted Brian in the family driveway cleaning out the van, milling about there.

Slava Ukraini!