Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:24 am
Finally. My favorite true crime youtuber has uploaded commentary on both the Brian Laundrie "confession" and the upcoming lawsuit. You can NOT beat Stephanie Harlowe for true crime. She provided some commentary that opened my eyes to issues that I hadn't previously considered. I knew the information but I didn't connect the dots the way she did.

She's like a sickness in my brain... 8-)

Coffee and Crime Time: Brian Laundrie and His "Confession"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYYdWgLB5g

Coffee and Crime Time: The Laundrie's And The Lawsuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYsJCi1VgQ
Watching time now - nice skulls, Ms. C&C.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:30 pm
I followed this case pretty closely, mostly because at the time this was going on, my oldest son, who had a remote job due to covid, was spending his first year out of college on the road, in utah, nevada, washington, and california, skiing and exploring. And also working wirelessly for a hefty salary. :roll: what a life, right?

Most of the time he had an air bnb with friends, but they also spent a fair amount of time living the "van life" on the road. if you recall, the two newly married women in Moab, living out of their van, were also killed during this time. I was a wreck trying to keep tabs on my kid while letting him do his thing. (the first HOUR he was in utah, a car crashed in front of him forcing him off the I-15 and destroying two tires.)

Consequently I followed this case very closely.

i would be interested in your opinion as a lawyer, as it seems to me that the FBI has a great deal of additional information that it seems won't be publicly available unless it is part of a deposition in a court case, putting the information into the public realm. That was my impression as to why the Petito's are bringing this suit--not for the money but just to bring more information to light. Is that possible?
I’ve never practiced criminal law, so I don’t know anything about what the FBI shares and does not share in a situation like this. I suppose it’s possible that the motive is information, but I guess I’m skeptical that information will give them anything they need to cope with their horrendous loss and move forward. I don’t think I’ve ever got to the end of a lawsuit and had all my questions answered.

I just feel bad for the four of them.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:40 pm
Marcus just one thing about the lawsuit. There exists a letter written by Brian's mother with various "offers" made to him within and a note written on the envelope with instructions that he burn it after he read it. It exists. I don't who has possession of that, the FBI or the Laundrie attorney? Someone has it and it exists. If they bring out that letter it might help to forward their case.

I'm not prepared atm to make many more comments on this. I will be soon. I'll try to find out who has possession of that letter.

I think Brian’s parents have it. The Petitos’ lawyer said the LEOs found it in their house.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:21 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:40 pm
Marcus just one thing about the lawsuit. There exists a letter written by Brian's mother with various "offers" made to him within and a note written on the envelope with instructions that he burn it after he read it. It exists. I don't who has possession of that, the FBI or the Laundrie attorney? Someone has it and it exists. If they bring out that letter it might help to forward their case.

I'm not prepared atm to make many more comments on this. I will be soon. I'll try to find out who has possession of that letter.

I think Brian’s parents have it. The Petitos’ lawyer said the LEOs found it in their house.
This goes with the link I posted above. So...if LE once had it I think they must've taken photos of it.
Reilly claims the letter appears to be written by Brian’s mother, Roberta Laundrie, to her son after Gabby Petito was killed. Bertolino has that letter, according to Reilly, who said he doesn’t have a copy.
https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-coun ... -you-read/
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

New Whole Foods surveillance footage considered to be the last known images of Gabby Petito alive. Dated 27 Aug 21. The same suspected day of her murder. Prior to this the only known footage of Gabby still alive was the traffic stop in Moab.

NEW Video of Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie hours before she was killed | LiveNOW from FOX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZIaxP5ldkg
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:49 am
New Whole Foods surveillance footage considered to be the last known images of Gabby Petito alive. Dated 27 Aug 21. The same suspected day of her murder. Prior to this the only known footage of Gabby still alive was the traffic stop in Moab.

NEW Video of Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie hours before she was killed | LiveNOW from FOX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZIaxP5ldkg
So heartbreaking. I really hope her parents were given some notice before this aired. Even with warning, suddenly seeing your child in their very last moments when you know what's coming would be beyond overwhelming.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Not exactly sure what to think about this. I am sure it was done under the advice of their attorney but not exactly sure why. Seems sketchy to me.

Laundries file to limit depositions in Gabby Petito lawsuit, protect themselves against ‘annoyance, embarrassment’

SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — An attorney for Chris and Roberta Laundrie, the parents of Brian Laundrie, have filed a motion to limit the scope of their depositions in a lawsuit filed by the parents of Gabby Petito.

The new court documents obtained by WFLA.com on Thursday show the Laundries are seeking to avoid having to disclose “irrelevant matters” in order to protect them from “annoyance, embarrassment, oppression, undue burden and expense.”

“This has been a truly heartbreaking experience for both families,” the motion reads. “The public who followed the case and the Plaintiffs are likely curious about Brian Laundrie’s life, his last days, his interaction with his parents, and the thoughts and feelings experienced by his parents. But curiosity is not a reason to require the Defendants to discuss such personal and heart wrenching details. Rather, the discovery must be relevant to the cause of action at issue.”

The motion seeks to limit the depositions to the events that occurred between Aug. 27, 2021 and Sept. 19, 2021, the day Petito is believed to have been killed and the day her remains were discovered.

“We are just looking to confine the questioning to matters and the time frame relevant to the claim that has been filed,” Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino told WFLA.com Thursday.

The depositions had been originally scheduled for Oct. 20, but were postponed earlier this month for unknown reasons. A rescheduled date has not yet been set.

Pat Reilly, an attorney for Gabby Petito’s parents, has not yet responded to WFLA.com’s requests for comment.

Petito’s parents, Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt, filed the lawsuit in March on the grounds of “intentional infliction of emotional distress,” claiming the Laundries were aware Brian had murdered their daughter and chose not to act. The lawsuit also includes claims that Chris and Roberta Laundrie sought to help their son flee the country and took steps to block Schmidt on her phone and Facebook page.

Judge Hunter W. Carroll heard arguments in June on the Laundrie’s motion to deny the lawsuit from proceeding to a jury trial, but ruled against it. The hearing, which Petito’s parents attended but the Laundries did not, marked the first court event in the Petito case.

Court records show the jury trial is scheduled for August 2023.

Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito were traveling together on a cross-country van trip in July 2021 before Laundrie returned home to North Port, Florida without his fiancée, spurring an intense, nationwide search for Petito.

Gabby Petito family attorney claims Roberta Laundrie sent letter to son marked ‘burn after you read’
During the search, the Laundries released a statement through their attorney, saying it was their ”hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is reunited with her family.” Petito and Schmidt claim the Laundries released this statement knowing Gabby was dead and the location of her body.

Petito’s remains were found in September in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. After an exhaustive manhunt led by the FBI, Laundrie’s remains were found in the Carlton Reserve in North Port. His death was later ruled a suicide from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Earlier this year, attorneys released an eight-page notebook confession left behind by Brian that provided his explanation for claiming Petito’s life.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

The motion seeks to limit the depositions to the events that occurred between Aug. 27, 2021 and Sept. 19, 2021, the day Petito is believed to have been killed and the day her remains were discovered.
And Sept 20th was the day Brian Laundrie's missing person's case became a criminal investigation and the Laundrie home was searched. I wonder if that has anything to do with this request.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:18 pm
Well, as I've said before with regard to true crime. It's not over until it's over. And even then, it's not over.

Laundrie's letter about shovel, burying a body could change Gabby Petito case | #HeyJB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6EEpbGBKHA

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moab PD is getting sued. This is 2 minutes, 25 seconds.

New photo of Gabby Petito shows injuries on day of police encounter, attorneys say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRWlBT3jIZw

Slava Ukraini!