Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:00 am
I got distracted by in real life...getting ready for a sales event here...and missed the Brian Entin special. :roll: Here it is on replay if anyone cares to watch it. I'm just now starting it and so will not comment right now.

Getting Answers: Gabby's Final Days | NewsNation Prime Special Report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ7QBQal5t4

Run time is 42:18.

RI don't watch it. If there are legal issues or other matters of possible interest, I will time stamp them. I understand where you're coming from. The photo you see of Gabby standing in front of a wall painted with wings...that location is approx. 40 minutes from my home. It skeeves me out when I see their photos there, with the Peak in the background, and on the Sand Dunes.

And...Imma gone.
Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The Brian Entin piece was not particularly informative for anyone who has followed the case. Locals in Moab would not speak to him, same thing with the SLC hotel and adjacent restaurant where employees shared that they'd been instructed not to speak to media.

When he goes to Jackson WY, he does speak to someone at the Merry Piglets which was the last location where Gabby was ever spotted alive. The person shared that the event at the Merry Piglets was overblown in the media and not accurate. You can find his reporting on that here:

Later in the special, the focus turns to some of the following, how social media impacted the case, how it resulted in more coverage on the married couple whose bodies had been found (Interviews the person who found them), and answers questions from call-in viewers. Example, will the FBI be able to make the case that Brian Laundrie murdered Gabby and how? Yes and I agree with virtually every aspect and method of evidence collection that was contained in the commentary, having seen it pieced together to prove cases where the body of the deceased was never recovered.

What struck me, and this has nothing to do with the details of the case, were the views of the location where Gabby's body was discovered. Brian Entin used the Red, White, and Bethunes video (on camera and as he was driving through Spread Creek) to pinpoint the location of the van, then walked through an icy cold stream to the location where her body was actually discovered and as he stood at the cross constructed by Gabby's step dad. The weather has changed in the area, much like it has in my own area. The trees are stripped of their leaves and the place looks frosty and cold. It seems still and desolate as if frozen in time.

For me, it seemed symbolic of the aftermath of Gabby's death and subsequently, of Brian Laundrie's death. The devastation experienced by both families, two young souls forever suspended in time, now gone, and the finality of the silenced landscape, as the world watched and shared the journey. Learned from it, benefited from it, how others will benefit from it in the future.

Joe Petito has challenged the fact that although Amber and Silver alerts exist for lost/missing children and seniors, there is no alert system in place for teens, young and somewhat older adults. Imagine if there were. How many people, especially teens and young adults, who have been abducted and trafficked, might be recovered before they fall off the grid and disappear forever?

Just imagine that. And imagine what could happen if the traffic stop video were to be used in training videos and to support efforts to re-fund the police so that victim's advocates could be present at encounters such as that in Moab?

I think if we can fathom those things, we can imagine the possibilities, the changes, the steps forward, that this case has the potential to produce to the benefit of society as a whole. If that is the case, then Gabby's death isn't for nothing nor is it entirely senseless. I admire the Petito/Schmidt's family commitment to honoring the life of their daughter by creating a positive from their loss.

It's not for nothing if people make it count for something.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:07 am
The Brian Entin piece was not particularly informative for anyone who has followed the case. Locals in Moab would not speak to him, same thing with the SLC hotel and adjacent restaurant where employees shared that they'd been instructed not to speak to media.

When he goes to Jackson WY, he does speak to someone at the Merry Piglets which was the last location where Gabby was ever spotted alive. The person shared that the event at the Merry Piglets was overblown in the media and not accurate. You can find his reporting on that here:

Later in the special, the focus turns to some of the following, how social media impacted the case, how it resulted in more coverage on the married couple whose bodies had been found (Interviews the person who found them), and answers questions from call-in viewers. Example, will the FBI be able to make the case that Brian Laundrie murdered Gabby and how? Yes and I agree with virtually every aspect and method of evidence collection that was contained in the commentary, having seen it pieced together to prove cases where the body of the deceased was never recovered.

What struck me, and this has nothing to do with the details of the case, were the views of the location where Gabby's body was discovered. Brian Entin used the Red, White, and Bethunes video (on camera and as he was driving through Spread Creek) to pinpoint the location of the van, then walked through an icy cold stream to the location where her body was actually discovered and as he stood at the cross constructed by Gabby's step dad. The weather has changed in the area, much like it has in my own area. The trees are stripped of their leaves and the place looks frosty and cold. It seems still and desolate as if frozen in time.

For me, it seemed symbolic of the aftermath of Gabby's death and subsequently, of Brian Laundrie's death. The devastation experienced by both families, two young souls forever suspended in time, now gone, and the finality of the silenced landscape, as the world watched and shared the journey. Learned from it, benefited from it, how others will benefit from it in the future.

Joe Petito has challenged the fact that although Amber and Silver alerts exist for lost/missing children and seniors, there is no alert system in place for teens, young and somewhat older adults. Imagine if there were. How many people, especially teens and young adults, who have been abducted and trafficked, might be recovered before they fall off the grid and disappear forever?

Just imagine that. And imagine what could happen if the traffic stop video were to be used in training videos and to support efforts to re-fund the police so that victim's advocates could be present at encounters such as that in Moab?

I think if we can fathom those things, we can imagine the possibilities, the changes, the steps forward, that this case has the potential to produce to the benefit of society as a whole. If that is the case, then Gabby's death isn't for nothing nor is it entirely senseless. I admire the Petito/Schmidt's family commitment to honoring the life of their daughter by creating a positive from their loss.

It's not for nothing if people make it count for something.
Amen.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

JB Biunno
@WFLAJB
·
6h
TUESDAY: Gabby Petito's family, including
@Nikischmidt927
and
@josephpetito
, will be joining me on #WFLANow at Noon ET.

We'll be discussing #JusticeForGabby, the
@gabbsfoundation
& featuring your #HeyJB comments during the interactive interview. http://8.wfla.com/3DlB2mg
@WFLA
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

idiot offed himself. No surprises there.

Brian Laundrie died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head, lawyer says

https://www.aol.com/news/brian-laundrie ... 54708.html

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Brian Laundrie died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head, lawyer says

Wow! Law enforcement should have reported that Laundrie had a gun with him. He was potentially dangerous.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:32 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Wow! Law enforcement should have reported that Laundrie had a gun with him. He was potentially dangerous.
They may have not known he had a gun with him. So far as I can tell, he DID own a gun. I keep forgetting the name of it...begins with a T. Like...I dunno, I forget. Taurus? Whatever.

We don't know what anyone knew about anything yet. Not anything. Not really.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

It's over. From FBI Denver. Bold/enlarged emphasis mine. It's what we didn't know until today.
January 21, 2022

FBI Denver Provides Final Investigative Update on Gabrielle Petito Case

Yesterday, the family of Gabrielle Petito met with the FBI at the Tampa Field Office as the investigation will be closed in the near future.

“All logical investigative steps have been concluded in this case,” said FBI Denver Division Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider.

“The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito. The FBI’s primary focus throughout the investigation was to bring justice to Gabby and her family. The public’s role in helping us in this endeavor was invaluable as the investigation was covered in the media around the world. On behalf of the FBI, I want to express my deepest appreciation to the public for the thousands of tips that were provided during the investigation, and to our local, state and federal law enforcement partners for their work throughout the investigation.”

The FBI opened its investigation into the disappearance of Ms. Petito on September 12, 2021, upon receiving reports from Gabby’s family that Ms. Petito was missing. The FBI, working with federal, state and local officials, organized a search of a remote area within the Grand Teton National Park and the Bridger-Teton National Forest.

On September 19, 2021, the search team located the remains of Ms. Petito at the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area near where she and Brian Laundrie had been seen together. Ms. Petito was found approximately three weeks after her last known communication. The Teton County Coroner’s Office subsequently concluded Ms. Petito died of “blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation.” While law enforcement investigated all logical leads, the investigation quickly focused on the last person believed to see her alive—Mr. Laundrie.

The following is a timeline of the investigation:

The FBI investigation revealed that, between August 30 and September 1, 2021, Mr. Laundrie had used Ms. Petito’s debit card without authorization on his drive back to Florida from Wyoming.

After Ms. Petito’s death, there were several text messages identified between Mr. Laundrie’s telephone and Ms. Petito’s telephone. The timing and content of these messages are indicative of Mr. Laundrie attempting to deceive law enforcement by giving the impression that Ms. Petito was still alive.

On September 15, 2021, Mr. Laundrie’s Ford Mustang was recovered from the T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Memorial Reserve and Myakkahatchee Creek Park in North Port, Florida.

On September 17, 2021, Mr. Laundrie’s parents reported him missing shortly after law enforcement conducted a welfare check at their residence.

On September 18, 2021, law enforcement officials commenced an extensive search of the park where Mr. Laundrie’s vehicle was parked and did not locate Mr. Laundrie. The area where Mr. Laundrie’s remains were later found was part of this search area, but the area was submerged due to recent flooding at the time of this initial search.

On September 22, 2021, the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming issued a federal arrest warrant for Mr. Laundrie. The warrant was issued pursuant to a Federal Grand Jury indictment for violation of federal statute 18 U.S.C. § 1029(a)(1): “Use of Unauthorized Access Devices” related to Mr. Laundrie’s activities following the death of Ms. Petito.

On October 7, 2021, after law enforcement made a request through Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino, the Laundries provided personal effects to law enforcement which were to be used to assist in the search of the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.

On October 20, 2021, after water had receded from the area and the park was reopened, Mr. Bertolino notified law enforcement that Mr. Laundrie’s parents intended to return to the park to search for Mr. Laundrie. Law enforcement officers were present when Mr. Laundrie’s parents located an item in the park later determined to belong to Mr. Laundrie.

Upon further search of the area, investigators found human remains later confirmed to be Mr. Laundrie, along with a backpack, notebook, and a revolver. A review of the notebook revealed written statements by Mr. Laundrie claiming responsibility for Ms. Petito’s death.

On November 23, 2021, the District 12 Medical Examiner’s Office in Sarasota, Florida, released its report on the manner and cause of death of Mr. Laundrie. The report concluded Mr. Laundrie died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The FBI thanks all the law enforcement agencies involved in the investigation including the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Teton County Sheriff’s Office, Teton County Search and Rescue, Jackson Police Department, Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office, Northport Police Department, Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office, Sarasota Police Department, Lee County Sheriff’s Office, Brevard County Sheriff’s Office, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-of ... etito-case

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

I keep thinking about Andy Warhol's observation that in the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. YouTube channels are the perfect medium. If someone isn't doing dramas and sitcoms about struggling YouTube channels, they should be.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Brian Laundrie full autopsy report. First reports said partial skull and mandible. They had nearly a whole skeleton. :shock:

https://www.fox13news.com/news/brian-la ... l-examiner

Slava Ukraini!