Personal Debt/Goals/Accomplishments

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Personal Debt/Goals/Accomplishments

Post by Physics Guy »

Ten pounds a month might really be too optimistic. A pound gained or lost is supposed to be about 3500 calories, so you'd need to cut or burn almost 1200 calories a day to get 35000 in a month. That's running a marathon, or fasting completely for 24 hours, almost every second day. (Just breathing for 24 hours uses about 2500 calories for a taller man, so that's the default burn rate that you normally cancel out with eating. A marathon is apparently around 2600.) These numbers all vary with circumstances, but only by maybe ±20%, so I'm pretty sure the point stands. A pound a week is the fastest reasonable rate to expect to lose weight unless you're really doing something heroic (and probably dangerous).

I can sometimes lose up to a couple of pounds between weighings less than one day apart, but that's not a sustainable rate because it's not losing fat. It's processing through a big meal. Conversely I can gain a couple of pounds in a day, according to the scales. Drinking eight ounces of water ups your weight half a pound, after all—for a while. I don't know how long it takes to make or lose fat but it's slower than that. The daily ups and downs aren't the real story.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:21 pm
Hey PG
Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:03 pm
It will still take at least the better part of one year, maybe longer. So that much patience you have to have anyway.
While you most certainly may be right, I sure as hell hope not. :lol: I was kind of thinking about 3 months or so (to loose the 30 I want to loose) but maybe I'm all wet. We shall see.
That’s very aggressive, Ceeboo. You’d need to reduce your daily calorie intake to something akin to 1100 calories under your maintenance calorie requirement (which may not be the same as your current average daily calorie intake, if you’re still gaining slightly).

ETA: I just saw that Physics Guy posted the same numbers. Apologies on redundancy!

Your maintenance calorie level will drop a bit as you continue to lose weight.

The hardest part of this might be that you’d attempt it during the time of year when big family meals and seasonal treats abound. Everyone will be coming at you with plates of cookies, or meaty dishes with delicious gravies, or cakes and pies. You’re going to need a cattle prod to keep all of those good-hearted and well-intentioned folks at the appropriate distance.
: )

If you’re ‘going for it’, keep the gang here posted on progress!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

So it seems like my 30 pounds in 3 months might be a little unreasonable. Oh well. Maybe I'll move the goal it to 30 pounds in 6 months.

crap, who am I kidding, I would be very pleased to loose 10/15 pounds in 90/180 days (I have a closet full of pants that I might be able to wear again)

Anyway, I'm going to try this - Starting at 228 pounds - need to go shopping and do some food prepping so I will probably start this coming Thursday - And I will post the progress (or no progress)

But tonight it's nachos for dinner! :lol:
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:48 pm
So it seems like my 30 pounds in 3 months might be a little unreasonable. Oh well. Maybe I'll move the goal it to 30 pounds in 6 months.

crap, who am I kidding, I would be very pleased to loose 10/15 pounds in 90/180 days (I have a closet full of pants that I might be able to wear again)

Anyway, I'm going to try this - Starting at 228 pounds - need to go shopping and do some food prepping so I will probably start this coming Thursday - And I will post the progress (or no progress)

But tonight it's nachos for dinner! :lol:
30lbs in 3 months isn't unreasonable. If I remember correctly, you said you feel "rusty" which is normal if you haven't exercised in a while. Let me tell you some little tricks that have helped some of my family members, especially my uncle who I helped lose a lot of weight after going to the doctor and the doctor told him he had prediabetes.

Weight loss comes down to staying motivated. If you're really serious, use an app like envision body to show you what you will look like at your desired weight. Then make copies of the image and post the pictures everywhere. On your bathroom mirror, in your car, on the door of the refrigerator. Also, get a paper calendar and hang it up somewhere convenient so you can see it everyday. You said 30lbs in 90 days, so make that your goal. Be OBSESSED with the calendar and write down everything you eat. My uncle watched a lot of TV so we found him a used recumbent bike off of Craigslist for like $80 and instead of sitting on the couch watching TV he rode that thing for hours while watching TV. Once he got in somewhat good shape he started walking at the local track. The key to walking and losing weight is, even while your body is losing weight, you need to supplement the weight loss with some kind of weight. We bought him a weight vest and used lead fishing sinkers to supplement his weight while he walked the track. When he started exercising riding the recumbent bike he was 270lbs. When he started walking he was 255lbs. Just by walking he lost 40lbs in 5 months. When he hit 210lbs he was carrying around 40lbs of lead in his weight vest while walking the track. Weight is the key. The more weight you carry the faster you'll lose weight. I think I remember you said you have back problems. You could do a weight belt instead of a weight vest. Also ankle weight or wrist weight. Good luck dude! 30lbs is very doable, if you think it isn't then you've already lost half the battle.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Thanks, Mike!

I appreciate the information/advice.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Gorilla
Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Keep in mind that anything more than about 2 pounds a week is considered "extreme weight loss" which 30 pounds in 3 months more than passes. I'd assume your goal is also not to just drop all the weight but instead perhaps shift your lifestlye to be sustainably healthy? Otherwise just chop off a few limbs and call it a day.

I plan to post more on your new thread but thought I'd slide this point in here.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:34 pm
I'd assume your goal is also not to just drop all the weight but instead perhaps shift your lifestlye to be sustainably healthy?
Yes, of course.
Otherwise just chop off a few limbs and call it a day.