Wager for Trump Supporters

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Wager for Trump Supporters

Post by _honorentheos »

Maxine Waters wrote:
Religious freedom is a core American value. A religious test on immigration could not be more fundamentally un-American.

I don't think religious beliefs that say Allah commands us to kill people who don't convert Islam should be protected under religious freedom.

There is a fairly well established and supported secular standard in US law that places a barrier between religious belief and criminal activity in the name of religious belief. It's remarkable in some ways in that the US has long established that belief does not justify an action that would otherwise be against the law of the land regardless of the belief system. See Reynolds v. US for example.

So, basically what you fear is ridiculous. People of all faiths are entitled to believe the most horrendous of fates await their fellow human beings, and that some divine being is going to show up any day and make the oceans red with the blood of <insert divine entitity>'s enemies. They can believe drawing certain pictures, performing certain medical procedures, using certain herbs or medicines are good/bad/necessary. But insofar as a belief becomes action and that action is against the law, the person will be judged and prosecuted according to the law.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

did any of these numbers change?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Some comparisons for the future. Wonder how Trump will do on these:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38663043

Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Res Ipsa wrote:... (snip)...fair amount of delusion...among liberals.

Nuff said
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

From Sean Hannity's speech January 2016:

The labor participation rate is near a 40-year low and has been under 63 percent now for 21 consecutive months. And instead of putting people back to work, under this president, the number of Americans dependent on government is surging. A near record 45 million Americans currently receive food stamps.

The labor participation rate, which is what the Right Wing media used to discredit low unemployment numbers throughout the Obama administration, was at 62.9% in January 2017 and after six months of Trump's pro-jobs "get Americans back to work" policies, is now at.... 62.9%.

Guess how many times "Labor Participation Rate" has been talked about in Right Wing media this year?

Also, the number of households receiving Food Stamp benefits peaked in 2013 at 23 million. That number has been gradually dropping ever since.

In January of this year that number was at 21,115,830. The number currently stands at 20,531,156.

Guess how many times the Right Wing media has raised the issue of American households on food stamps?
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Remember that time a Heritage Foundation shill tried to give Drumpf credit for the Obama economy.
SEE http://crooksandliars.com/2017/08/time- ... give-trump

This is a lot of fun to watch. Tim Doescher, a Heritage Foundation shill, comes on AM Joy to sing the economic praises of Donald Trump, and Joy Reid brings on Austan Goolsbee, former economic advisor to President Obama. (Which is the equivalent of the "Annie Hall" scene where Woody Allen brings out Marshall McLuhan to bolster his point against a fellow movie-goer.)

Doescher is lauding Trump for creating over one million jobs.

"This is a big win for Americans. This is a big win for coal miners in West Virginia, this is a big win for manufacturers right here in Detroit where I am, and so I don't really see this as something of obama's. this is definitely of Trump's," he said.

"Hold on a second," Reid said.

"You're saying that Trump hasn't signed any legislation that's made the economy grow, but he deserves credit for the economy but Barack Obama, who had eight years of signing legislation in policy, deserves no credit. Could we show the chart for job, so Obama deserves no credit for this, started off in the red and finished quite well, he deserves no credit but Donald Trump in seven months deserves all the credit?"

And it went downhill from there. Reid then drew Goolsbee into the conversation.

"I'll let you take this is being argued by your fellow Tim, Donald Trump, just the way he speaks, has made the economy flower but that Barack Obama in eight years did nothing," she said.

"Look, we've had, I believe, 84 months in a row of job growth, and the last six of those have been under Donald Trump. It's like a guy built a house and sold it to someone and that person walked in and turned the lights on and said, hey, look at this house I built," Goolsbee said.

Goolsbee said the economy was a continuation of the growth under Obama. "I would simply point out that when it happened under President Obama, it was Donald Trump himself saying you can't trust the statistics, these are all lies. There aren't this many jobs getting created, and literally with fewer jobs being created in the same statistics, Donald Trump is now saying, 'Look what I did!' "
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

The CCC wrote:This is a lot of fun to watch.

Yup. It's hilarious.

I do hope that this guy was just doing the job the Heritage Foundation pays him for, and that he did not believe the nonsense he spouted - and which was so immediately deflated by showing the charts online that showed, for instance, that Trump's rate of job creation so far is actually a bit less than in 2016 under Trump.

Oh yes - and you know those employment figures that Trump said were completely misleading when people cited them under Obama? Well, Trump is relying on the exact same data source to claim his alleged (but not actual) success since he took office.

Now who would have expected that?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Kevin Graham wrote:From Sean Hannity's speech January 2016:

The labor participation rate is near a 40-year low and has been under 63 percent now for 21 consecutive months. And instead of putting people back to work, under this president, the number of Americans dependent on government is surging. A near record 45 million Americans currently receive food stamps.

The labor participation rate, which is what the Right Wing media used to discredit low unemployment numbers throughout the Obama administration, was at 62.9% in January 2017 and after six months of Trump's pro-jobs "get Americans back to work" policies, is now at.... 62.9%.

Guess how many times "Labor Participation Rate" has been talked about in Right Wing media this year?

Assuming you classify Fox News and Fox Business as "Right Wing media", it would appear at least maybe 10 times?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fox+new ... 8&oe=utf-8

You could also search other news outlets that you consider "Right Wing" to get additional data.

Or was that a rhetorical question?

Also, the number of households receiving Food Stamp benefits peaked in 2013 at 23 million. That number has been gradually dropping ever since.

In January of this year that number was at 21,115,830. The number currently stands at 20,531,156.

Guess how many times the Right Wing media has raised the issue of American households on food stamps?

Again, it looks like Fox News has mentioned it at least a couple times:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... ood+stamps

Obviously the bigger questions are how much control the President has over the economy in general, and over specific measures of the economy specifically, and even so, how long it would take for Presidential actions to be reflected in numbers?

I'm guessing not a lot, not a lot, and a long time (certainly longer than six months).

Relevant Podcast:

How Much Does the President Really Matter?

I also wouldn't compare any subsequent President to Obama on the economy, since Obama entered office under exceptional circumstances so there is no way anyone could match any comparative statistics for growth, whether it was Sanders, Clinton, Trump or anyone else.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

I believe most economists consider the previous adminitration's economy to be influential through the first, and maybe second, financial quarters of the new administration. While this may have been the past trend, it may not be the current trend. And I believe Obama supporters blamed Bush for well over 2 quarters....well over.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent