Wager for Trump Supporters

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Wager for Trump Supporters

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:And I believe Obama supporters blamed Bush for well over 2 quarters....well over.

Of course they did.

But suppose somebody suggested that your reasoning might be a little bit circular in this respect?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Again, it looks like Fox News has mentioned it at least a couple times:

I clicked on the link to see those examples and here is the context:

Jul 4, 2017 -After the food stamp rolls swelled for years under the Obama administration, fresh figures show a dramatic reduction in states that recently have moved to restore work requirements.

May 22, 2017 - President Trump is calling for major cuts to Medicaid and food stamps

Mar 3, 2017 - The cost of Food Stamps, or SNAP (the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), has ballooned the past two decades.

So yeah, I stand by my claim of hypocrisy in the Right Wing media. When the numbers are bad during a Democrat administration it is because of the President. When the numbers are bad during a Republican administration, it is because of some other reason.

Assuming you classify Fox News and Fox Business as "Right Wing media", it would appear at least maybe 10 times?

In the context of blaming Trump? Never. Correlation only equals causation when a bad cause correlates to a Democrat President.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

subgenius wrote:I believe most economists consider the previous adminitration's economy to be influential through the first, and maybe second, financial quarters of the new administration. While this may have been the past trend, it may not be the current trend. And I believe Obama supporters blamed Bush for well over 2 quarters....well over.

I heard Rush Limbaugh attribute the booming Clinton years to not only Bush, but also Reagan. Republicans are nothing if not inconsistent. From Cheney's famous "deficits don't matter" to their sudden concern for the debt under a Democrat President. I don't know that economists generally draw a line in the timeline sand as to when a new President should be credited the state of the economy, but I suspect it is a case by case basis depending on what policies are enacted. Thus far Trump has done nothing legislatively and he's trying to take credit for an economy that has been clearly on the upswing for years.

It is laughable listening to these people brag about the DOW breaking 20,000 for the first time ever under Trump. Had they really been paying any attention to the DOW beyond the last six months they's know it broke records some 30 different times under Obama. But in each instance that happened the Right Wing media downplayed it or ignored it. I also laugh when they speak of amazing job numbers like 200,000 in 4 out of 6 months during Trump. That happened 10 times in 2014, twice going over 300,000. Trump's admin has created on average just 179,000 per month and suddenly he's called the job creator.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Chap wrote:Of course they did.

But suppose somebody suggested that your reasoning might be a little bit circular in this respect?

President Obama entered the office when the US was losing about 3/4 million jobs per month.

Also remember that Republicans blamed Obama for the response to hurricane Katrina.
SEE https://thinkprogress.org/more-louisian ... 6990dc25a/
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Even God couldn't crap a turd this foul.

https://news.vice.com/story/trump-folde ... hite-house

Twice a day since the beginning of the Trump administration, a special folder is prepared for the president. The first document is prepared around 9:30 a.m. and the follow-up, around 4:30 p.m. Former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and former Press Secretary Sean Spicer both wanted the privilege of delivering the 20-to-25-page packet to President Trump personally, White House sources say.

These sensitive papers, described to VICE News by three current and former White House officials, don’t contain top-secret intelligence or updates on legislative initiatives. Instead, the folders are filled with screenshots of positive cable news chyrons (those lower-third headlines and crawls), admiring tweets, transcripts of fawning TV interviews, praise-filled news stories, and sometimes just pictures of Trump on TV looking powerful.

One White House official said the only feedback the White House communications shop, which prepares the folder, has ever gotten in all these months is: “It needs to be more damned positive.”

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Official unemployment rate: 14.7%
U6 unemployment rate: 22.8%
Labor Participation Rate: 60.2%
Federal debt: $25+ trillion
Federal deficit: $984 billion (2019) $3+ trillion (2020)
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

[quote=EAllusion post_id=1014124 time=1478802890 user_id=1078]barring some sort of absolutely catastrophic, world-altering event that no one wants to see.
[/quote]

Whoops.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

EAllusion wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:34 pm
EAllusion wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:34 pm
barring some sort of absolutely catastrophic, world-altering event that no one wants to see.
Whoops.
You nailed it.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Icarus wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:04 pm
how ignorant for you to post pandemic statistics in the context of this thread.
Thanks for stopping by!
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

subgenius wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:48 pm
Icarus wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:04 pm
how ignorant for you to post pandemic statistics in the context of this thread.
Thanks for stopping by!
Says the guy who spent 8 years arguing as if the great recession happened on Obama's watch so the best metric for measuring his performance was 2005...

Oh, and about Tara Reade. What day did that happen again? You said she remembered.