Good News: 21st Century Cures Act Passed

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Good News: 21st Century Cures Act Passed

Post by _Analytics »

Yesterday, the senate passed the 21st Century Cures Act on a bipartisan vote of 94-5. The bill includes 14 of 19 recommendations of the Bipartisan Policy Center.

From their press release yesterday:

http://bipartisanpolicy.org/press-relea ... cures-act/

Washington, D.C. – Today, Congress put patients first by passing the 21st Century Cures Act—groundbreaking medical innovation and research legislation that will help millions of Americans with life-threatening diseases and their families. The Bipartisan Policy Center applauds Congress for working together to achieve this rare bipartisan compromise. It signals an encouraging moment for the nation that their government can make progress on behalf of the American people.

“The Cures Act is groundbreaking. Over the 40 years I have been in medicine, there has never been a more exciting time for medical innovation than today,” said former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist. “The Senate’s passage of this bill will impact millions of Americans and give a big voice to patients in improving their care. With an estimated 7,000–10,000 known molecular-based diseases without cures, we now have an opportunity to change that trajectory and find new cures and treatments for patients.”

“I congratulate my former colleagues on tackling this ambitious legislation and succeeding,” said former Rep. Bart Gordon. “It shows the American people that Congress can work together to create and pass meaningful legislation that will touch their lives. I am especially pleased to see the Senate honor Vice President Biden by renaming the cancer moonshot and NIH innovation projects in the bill for his son Beau, who lost his brave battle to cancer last year.”

$106.4 Billion in new government spending on something worthwhile over the next 5 years. Yea!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari