Biden Takes Georgia; Violence on Horizon

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Biden Takes Georgia; Violence on Horizon

Post by Res Ipsa »

Biden is currently ahead in Georgia, but there are about 25K of various flavors of ballot left to count. I'm also seeing some dialing back of the rhetoric, so, while there may be a few instances of violence, I'm not expecting anything widespread. Law enforcement seems to be keeping things in check.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

There should be some concern about Trump supporters going into armageddon mode. They have been stockpiling weapons and ammunition for years. Plus they have good reason to believe the Russian army will back them up.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Bannon “... said he would go further: "I'd put the heads on pikes. Right. I'd put them at the two corners of the White House as a warning to federal bureaucrats. You either get with the program or you are gone."”

He’s talking about Fauci and Wray.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:59 pm
Bannon “... said he would go further: "I'd put the heads on pikes. Right. I'd put them at the two corners of the White House as a warning to federal bureaucrats. You either get with the program or you are gone."”

He’s talking about Fauci and Wray.

- Doc
I think the words "The self-described Leninist" should always precede the words "Steve Bannon."
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:47 pm
Biden is currently ahead in Georgia, but there are about 25K of various flavors of ballot left to count. I'm also seeing some dialing back of the rhetoric, so, while there may be a few instances of violence, I'm not expecting anything widespread. Law enforcement seems to be keeping things in check.
Trying to articulate my thoughts on the matter, Republicans in the Trump era fit into the following categories:
  1. Mouth breathers who believe the rhetoric (e.g. ldsfaqs)
  2. Republicans who cynically use falsehoods to stir up hate for money and power (Limbaugh, Hannity, Newt Gingrich)
  3. People who enjoy the rhetoric but don't really believe it or take it too literally (my brother?)
  4. Republicans who don't condone (or condemn) the speech but like and support Trump for what he gets done or what he can do for them (Mike Lee?)
  5. Republicans who think integrity matters (Mitt Romney, Lincoln Project, Daniel Peterson)
The members of group I are the scary ones, and members of group II are absolutely evil. Group II will always enable group I and would gleefully watch America burn in order to get their asses kissed and promote their own financial interests. Those cynics are the real enemies of America.

I'm left with two questions:
  1. How big is group I, really?
  2. When things get real, do groups III and IV carry enough influence to calm down the idiots in groups I and II? Do they have the balls to do so?
I'd like to think things will calm down. But if the people in group I are really the base of the GOP, maybe there could be an actual rebellion, led by Republicans who don't want to be accused of being RINOs. It was important in 2000 for Al Gore to concede to George W. Bush. It is vital now for Trump to do so, too. But is he capable of that? I don't think so.

So what happens after Trump fails in the courts?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Senator Joni Ernst of Lower Hades, Iowa warned that 'President Joe Biden' could be impeached over Ukraine 'the day after he would be elected'.

https://www.businessinsider.com/senator ... ine-2020-2

Why should the Republican Senate wait for the election results when they could impeach Biden before the Christmas break? Fox News might be calling for it. Hope Russia dotted their i's and crossed their t's when it came to manufacturing evidence. Bet it is pretty sophisticated since it passed the Rudy Giuliani test.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Does DiscussMormonism.com have any policy when it comes to calls for beheadings? Like if Jersey Girl said, "Off with his head" would TempAdmin mind?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:06 pm
Does DiscussMormonism.com have any policy when it comes to calls for beheadings? Like if Jersey Girl said, "Off with his head" would TempAdmin mind?
You do realize we have some conservative posters that can be unduly swayed by that sort of thing, right?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Analytics wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 pm
It was important in 2000 for Al Gore to concede to George W. Bush. It is vital now for Trump to do so, too. But is he capable of that? I don't think so.
I can only try to answer that as someone who has spent a good deal of time trying learning about narcissists. There are different types of narcissists. Covert, overt, malignant, vulnerable, etc.

Trump as I see him: Overt, malignant, vulnerable.

Is he capable of conceding? Not unless he thinks it will win him praise and admiration.

Will he do it? Not unless he thinks it will win him praise and admiration.

So...if someone (or a group--Pence, his kids, trusted associates--re:Giuliani) can convince him to go out in style and that he will win the admiration of a grateful nation...then it's possible but still unlikely since he has backed himself into a corner.

Right now, he is experiencing repeated narcissistic injuries which is what narcs fear most. He's getting it in spades. The election results, legal actions getting kicked back in his face, and most importantly--his army of flying monkeys is dwindling right before his eyes.

Flying monkeys are people who do the narcs bidding. His surrogates. You could think of them in shorthand as "hit men". Guiliani is one of his flying monkeys, Cohen used to be. The Senate Republicans are his army and they are now openly criticizing him for claiming unsubstantiated fraud and attacking the democratic process.

It's going to be like Farmer in the Dell where the cheese stands alone. Except for his base.

In my online travels earlier today, I heard someone on CNN (I think) say that he's wanting to hold a rally this weekend. CNN tends to lean Dem/left from what I can tell so I don't know if that is true.

But since he believes he can rely on his base, I tend to believe that he really is trying to hold a rally this weekend. Why? Because the antidote to narc injury is adulation and the rallies is exactly where he gets it.

All things considered, I don't see him conceding the election. I think the more likely scenario is for him to go full on scorched Earth. To coin a phrase, he'll take a flamethrower to this place. Nod to Lt. Col. Slade. ;-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!