I have cancer

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

I have cancer

Post by _Kevin Graham »

I'm here at the doctor's office waiting for some someone to take blood. I just found out 5 minutes ago I have testicular cancer and one of them has to come out. They will then have to find out later whether or not it's spread anywhere else throughout my body. No idea why I'm posting this ... other than I am probably in shock
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: I have cancer

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kevin honey take a deep breath. You're probably posting because you feel cornered and need an outlet. We'd all do the same thing. See if you can do some deep slow breathing while you are there, try to put your shoulders down if you are tense. Do it again before you get in the car or while you are driving. Try not to let your mind run wild. Easier said than done, I know.

Prayers up for you, sir. We're here for you. We have a mutual friend who has taken this journey. Let me see if I can rally the man.

Jersey
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Oof. That's terrible. I had a buddy back in USASOC that underwent treatment for testicular cancer and survived. He had one of his nuts removed, too. You have a hard road ahead of you, man. I do not wish this on anyone.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

From cancer.net

For men with cancer that has not spread beyond the testicles (Stage 1; see Stages), the survival rate is 99%. Approximately 68% of men are diagnosed at this stage. For men with cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes in the back of the abdomen, called the retroperitoneal lymph nodes, the survival rate is about 96%.

It always feels like a kick in the nuts (pardon the analogy) when you get health news like this, but don't freak out yet. Your chances should be very good to excellent. Hang in there.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

ditto to what Jersey said, Kevin. Especially on not letting your mind run wild, that kind of ruminating is distressing. Wait to see the results, as medotorg pointed out the odds are in your favor! We'll be here for you.
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

Sorry to hear this Kevin, and I wish you the best. My wife had breast cancer and a mastectomy 2 years ago, so I can understand the shock and worry. Keep your energy positive and hang in there. If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out? Where you in for a routine physical or were you having a lump checked out?
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

The survival rate is one of the best. And, as seen here, it is no longer a deep, dark family secret. You have some great company.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

I'm sorry to hear that, Kevin! My best friend had that, too. He has been clear for about 6 years now. The recovery rate is very high for that particular cancer. 99% to 96%. If you have to have cancer, it's one of the better ones to have.

Best wishes for a complete recovery!
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Hang in there, Kevin. I have a cousin who went through this and came out fine. One step at a time, and try not to let your mind race ahead of you. Do you have someone who can drive you home?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Kevin,

Your doctors have probably already told you this, but the overall five year survival rate for testicular cancer is well above 90%. If it transformed cells are still in situ, overall chances of a full recovery are probably higher than that depending on your age, general health, and the type of cell involved.

One of my relatives, two years older than me, had the disease some 20 years ago. They removed one testicle and he has had no recurrence or lasting ill effects since the operation. Oncologists today know a lot more about effective treatments than they did 20 years ago.

Best wishes.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."