The Atlantic - Identity Separation Key To Freedom?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

The Atlantic - Identity Separation Key To Freedom?

Post by _honorentheos »

There's an interesting article in the Atlantic I thought was worth bringing up as others here might find it interesting.

The article begins with the premise that part of the modern, post-enlightenment world we've come to enjoy included the ability of an individual to move between different domains in their life where their identities shifted to the needs of that domain. From the article -

After Europe’s religious wars, Anderson mused, as centuries of conflicts between Catholics and Protestants gave way to a liberal, live-and-let-live order that tolerated freedom of religion, something remarkable happened:

People now have the freedom to have crosscutting identities in different domains. At church, I’m one thing. At work, I’m something else. I’m something else at home or with my friends. The ability not to have an identity that one carries from sphere to sphere but, rather, to be able to slip in and adopt whatever values and norms are appropriate while retaining one’s identities in other domains? That is what it is to be free.

That’s a bold claim! Yet one needn’t accept Anderson’s definition of freedom to appreciate her insight. Here’s a more modest version: The ability to slip into a domain and adopt whatever values and norms are appropriate while retaining identities in other domains is something most Americans value, both to live in peace amid difference and for personal reasons.

A 28-year-old woman might attend a march of radical feminists on Saturday, be a deferential caregiver to her ailing conservative grandfather on Sunday, teach high-school sophomores virtue ethics on Monday, perform open-mic comedy that no 15-year-old should hear on Tuesday, indulge a guilty pleasure for Disney musical numbers in the privacy of her car on the way to work on Wednesday morning, and meet up on Thursday night with the pierced, tattooed punk rocker she is dating. And if she interviews on Friday for a new job in a typical field of employment? Most of that will be none of the interviewer’s business.

This rings true to me, and I think reflects on the richness a person might experience in life where their personal freedom is not defined by rigid, pervasive social identity but is, instead, defined differently based on context and one's relationships in that context that don't necessarily transfer to every other context in the same way. That isn't to say freedom is defined by amorphous inauthenticity, but rather that authenticity is defined by freedom to let aspects of ones identity advance or recede as appropriate to a context without those that are receding being anyone else's business within that particular domain.

The article then points out how the internet has evolved as part of this dynamic, at first being a place where expression and finding like-minded others could be facilitated that enhanced this level of self-expression and identity flux -

If humans lost something when most of us ceased to live our whole lives in small tribes, if American life is no longer organized around small towns with all that they offer their residents, at the very least we made these countervailing gains. And this freedom to be different things in different spaces was enhanced by the early internet. Every subculture had its chat rooms. Far-flung people with niche interests could find one another. And no one knew if you were a dog.

- to something quite the opposite today where it serves to collapse domains into a new "small town" dynamic that makes what you do on a Saturday night and your job on Monday overlap more and more; where your home life in balanced respect with a true believing Mormon spouse could be collapsed in on one's anonymous expressions of dissatisfaction with the LDS church very easily with full expectation by others that this is just how things work.

In edge cases, almost all Americans will see the implications for freedom, as with China’s push toward an Orwellian society of surveillance cameras, facial-recognition technology, machine learning, and a state-assigned score for every citizen to rate their merits.

Thornier cases will implicate norms and manners that evolve as a society adapts to relatively new modes of non-state, non-coercive interaction.

For example: I’m sitting in a coffee shop as I write this. Imagine that a man sitting at a nearby table spilled his coffee, got a phone call just afterward, and simply left, so that staff had to clean up his mess, a scene that culminated in a haggard-looking barista drooping her shoulders in frustration. Was the call a true emergency? We don’t know. But if not, almost everyone would agree that the man behaved badly.

Yet almost all of you would react with discomfort or opprobrium if I followed the man back to his office, learned his name, spent a half hour waiting to see his boss, adopted an outraged tone, explained his transgression, felt righteous, then commenced a week-long mission to alert his extended network of friends, family, and professional contacts to his behavior, all the while telling masses of strangers about it, too.

On the other hand, if that man spilled his coffee, leaving that same haggard barista to clean it up, and if I captured the whole thing on my phone camera and posted it to Twitter with a snarky comment about the need to better respect service workers, some nontrivial percentage of the public would help make the clip go viral, join in the shaming, and expend effort to “snitch-tag” various people in the man’s personal life. Some would quietly raise an eyebrow at my role in that public shaming, but I mostly wouldn’t be treated as a transgressor.

Food for thought.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ge/579553/
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: The Atlantic - Identity Separation Key To Freedom?

Post by _MeDotOrg »

A great topic. Saw it just before I realized I was 2 hours late going to sleep, but this touches on a lot of issues about the instantaneous transmission of information that I think are both little understood and tremendously important. The way we process that instantaneous information is one of the greatest difference between the industrial age and the information age.

With respect to our social awareness, the internet is a like a billion new nerve endings.The virtual overnight success of the #metoo movement is a testament to rapid assimilation of shared experience. Women who were suffering alone are no longer suffering alone. Imagine how much more rapidly the civil rights movement would have been both vigorously supported and opposed if documentary cell phone video evidence would have been available.

And what does all of that rapid change in identity mean about our American identity? What defines us in a time where the winds of change seem to have blown us into a new landscape?
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote:A great topic. Saw it just before I realized I was 2 hours late going to sleep, but this touches on a lot of issues about the instantaneous transmission of information that I think are both little understood and tremendously important. The way we process that instantaneous information is one of the greatest difference between the industrial age and the information age.

With respect to our social awareness, the internet is a like a billion new nerve endings.The virtual overnight success of the #metoo movement is a testament to rapid assimilation of shared experience. Women who were suffering alone are no longer suffering alone. Imagine how much more rapidly the civil rights movement would have been both vigorously supported and opposed if documentary cell phone video evidence would have been available.

And what does all of that rapid change in identity mean about our American identity? What defines us in a time where the winds of change seem to have blown us into a new landscape?

Great points, MeDotOrg. The breaking down of geographical boundaries, or the coming together of people who may have shared common experiences that previously felt isolated or unique is liberating for individuals and elevating society to a greater form of consciousness. Without a doubt global connectivity has upsides.

What I think the article also asks, though, is if we are creating a single non-diverse domain through social media that essentially functions like a small town rather than a broad web of interconnected but still separate domains? Is having a Facebook account essentially ensuring your boss, social circle, friends from a particular hobby or activity, in laws, nephews and nieces, etc., etc., suddenly have access to ever aspect of your identity? Where in the past the ability to move between these domains and allow aspects of one's identity to advance or recede was/is an essential component of liberal democratic society? And unsaid in the article but what occurs to me: Is the urge people feel to demand conformance to one particular domain a totalitarian impulse that is driving us into deeper into our conflicted tribalism? Is there a connection here between the openness of the online small town community and the decline of regard for liberal democracy around the world but especially among younger generations?

It raises many questions. And it made me reflect on my own online presence and realize I really maintain domain boundaries online. My posting here, for example, is a domain where my anonymity isn't so much a protection from those closest to me who know my thoughts and sometimes read what I'm posting over my shoulder. But it certainly serves to keep this aspect of my life contained into something I think is very appropriate. If this were all transferred to Facebook under our in real life names, I'd stop participating. Not because my views would be shameful, but because I just don't live life like that. Facebook is not a forum I post in frequently, and treat it much like I would if a reporter was going to print what I said in the newspaper. I very early on decided it was not helpful to my social network to have everyone I know or kinda know suddenly standing around looking in on every aspect of my life and interacting with each other. People start self-selecting to not associate because suddenly the domain where we overlapped turned out to be less meaningful to them than other domains where we may disagree such as in regards to politics or religion. I like domain separation. It allows my life to maintain a certain richness and diversity that throwing it all out online damaged.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think we're all born into a paradigm which doesn't define who we are at our core. Not only do we have to struggle with our internal identity, but we also have to struggle with the how the Other views us. Escaping the prison into which we're born is a terrible burden, and it is interesting how the Internet is allowing so many people to escape this inborn prison.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Ah, yes.

And would it have been worth it, after all,
After the cups, the marmalade, the tea,
Among the porcelain, among some talk of you and me,
Would it have been worth while,
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball
To roll it toward some overwhelming question,
To say: “I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—
If one, settling a pillow by her head,
Should say: “That is not what I meant at all.
That is not it, at all.”

ETA: Thanks, Steuss! Any day that starts with a little T.S. Eliot is a good day.
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

I ended up revisiting Emerson's Self-Reliance recently. I was surprised by how new it felt, even though I have read it multiple times in the past. It's been a while since the last time, and my thoughts are different enough now that much of it took on slightly different meaning.

The topic of this thread and my thoughts on it are part of what influenced it taking on new meaning, so I thought I'd append it with what seemed like appropriate snippets while it was still lingering on the first page.

What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and in intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it. It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude…

For nonconformity the world whips you with its displeasure. And therefore a man must know how to estimate a sour face. The by-standers look askance on him in the public street or in the friend's parlour. If this aversation had its origin in contempt and resistance like his own, he might well go home with a sad countenance; but the sour faces of the multitude, like their sweet faces, have no deep cause, but are put on and off as the wind blows and a newspaper directs…

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them…

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may
as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.

https://emersoncentral.com/texts/essays ... -reliance/
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Came across this, felt it was worth a bump.