MDB Bible Study

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

MDB Bible Study

Post by _Ceeboo »

Circa 1440 BC

Abraham Tested
1 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!” “Here I am,” he replied. 2 Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.” 3 Early the next morning Abraham got up and loaded his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about. 4 On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. 5 He said to his servants, “Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you.” 6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together, 7 Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, “Father?” “Yes, my son?” Abraham replied. “The fire and wood are here,” Isaac said, “but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” 8 Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.” And the two of them went on together. 9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!” “Here I am,” he replied. 12 “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.” 13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided.” 15 The angel of the LORD called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.” 19 Then Abraham returned to his servants, and they set off together for Beersheba. And Abraham stayed in Beersheba.

What can we make of this bizarre story?
Could this story in the Old Testament be a for-shadowing of Jesus?
Is the New Testament the Old Testament revealed?
Is the Bible 66 books, written by 40 authors, over 2,000 years - Or is it possible that the Bible comes from One Author and that everything in the Old Testament points to Jesus and everything the New Testament points back to Jesus?

Verse 2 - Interesting
Verse 6 - The father (Abraham) placed the wood on his son (Issaac) for the sacrifice.
Verse 8 - God himself would provide the lamb for the sacrifice.
Verse13 - He saw a ram? Not a lamb? Hmmmmmmmm? Interesting
Verse 14 - He called that place "The Lord will provide?" -------- 1,500 hundred years later, Jesus (the son) was provided (the lamb of God) by the Father as the ultimate and final sacrifice - on the very same spot.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: MDB Bible Study

Post by _Some Schmo »

Later that evening, lying in bed shaking and feeling an insecurity he had no idea was inside him, Isaac thought, My dad's a damned lunatic.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

More edited verses from the Bible:

23. When they returned, the two servants tended to the donkey and then retired for their dinner.
24. As the began their repast, one servant said, "Where is the crust of bread you promised?"
25. The other servant was surprised. "It is you who should give me the bread. I won."
26. The first servant said, "Did he kill the boy?"
27. The second servant swallowed and said, "He would have. He was about to do it, but then he went into one of his insane trances. It was the only thing that stopped him. For all we know, he thought the trapped animal was the boy."
28. The first servant bristled. "That wasn't the wager. You bet he'd do it."
29. The second servant smiled. "Well... you know he's insane. The night's still young."
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Consider why that burnt protein aroma so pleasing unto the Lord can’t be bacon. That’s just not right.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

The idea that the Old Testament makes predictions that come true in the New Testament which proves that the Bible's divinity makes me laugh.

By that standard, every book series is divine.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Re: MormonDiscussions.com Bible Study

Post by _Ceeboo »

As Jesus hung on the cross, he said "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me"

What did Jesus mean by this?
Over the years, I have heard a few different ideas - some more interesting than others.

To give an example from today: What if a second grade teacher said "Jack and Jill went up the Hill" - Obviously the class would have known exactly what the teacher was referencing.

Let's get back to Jesus.

Considering the audience was loaded with religious Jews (as well as Pharisees) who were very familiar with the Tanakh (Old Testament) - could Jesus have been referencing something to them that they would have instantly recognized/understood?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 22 - A psalm of David (1,000BC)

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? 2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest. 3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the one Israel praises. 4 In you our ancestors put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. 5 To you they cried out and were saved; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. 6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by everyone, despised by the people. 7 All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads. 8 “He trusts in the LORD,” they say, “let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him.” 9 Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast. 10 From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God. 11 Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help. 12 Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me. 13 Roaring lions that tear their prey open their mouths wide against me. 14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted within me. 15 My mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. 16 Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet. 17 All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me. 18 They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment. 19 But you, LORD, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me. 20 Deliver me from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs. 21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions; save me from the horns of the wild oxen. 22 I will declare your name to my people; in the assembly I will praise you. 23 You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel! 24 For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help. 25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly; before those who fear you I will fulfill my vows. 26 The poor will eat and be satisfied; those who seek the LORD will praise him— may your hearts live forever! 27 All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him, 28 for dominion belongs to the LORDand he rules over the nations. 29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship; all who go down to the dust will kneel before him— those who cannot keep themselves alive. 30 Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord. 31 They will proclaim his righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it!
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:The idea that the Old Testament makes predictions that come true in the New Testament which proves that the Bible's divinity makes me laugh.

By that standard, every book series is divine.

I know, right? I remember reading some essay, I think by Rappleye, where he was arguing Joseph smith was a divine prophet, and then supported his argument by... quoting the Book of Mormon where a verse predicted Joseph Smith would be a divine prophet. Note this verse was in a book WRITTEN by Joseph Smith. :rolleyes:
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: MormonDiscussions.com Bible Study

Post by _Some Schmo »

Ceeboo wrote:As Jesus hung on the cross, he said "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me"

What did Jesus mean by this?

It was the moment he realized he was an atheist.

Lemmie wrote:I know, right? I remember reading some essay, I think by Rappleye, where he was arguing Joseph smith was a divine prophet, and then supported his argument by... quoting the Book of Mormon where a verse predicted Joseph Smith would be a divine prophet. Note this verse was in a book WRITTEN by Joseph Smith. :rolleyes:

I suspect many religious people seem off-kilter because they're dizzy from making circular arguments.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I kinda wish you started off with the she-bears:

- doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Genesis 19 wrote:1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;

2 And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.

3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

9 And the men are like, "Virgin girls?! What good are girls? This is Sodom. We want the men! We want the men!"

Biblical Moral of the Story: When a mob comes to rape your guests, it's always good to have a couple of daughters around to distract them for a bit while you think of a plan.