Removing Trump will Doom GOP for decades

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Removing Trump will Doom GOP for decades

Post by _Some Schmo »

I'd love to know how many people who used to be open to voting for a Republican but now vow they never will again without a massive overhaul (like me).

I kind of get the feeling people in this category are few and far between.

Bill Maher's right. Americans are generally dumb. The fact that the GOP has a chance in any elections at all proves that point.

I mean, seriously. Can anyone name a single thing the GOP is good for in terms of governance? They're useless! They are a cancer on the American experiment. Just the fact that their base would elect this fat “F” shows what kind of base it is.

"Deplorable" is too nice a word.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I'd love to know how many people who used to be open to voting for a Republican but now vow they never will again without a massive overhaul (like me).

Not enough to elect candidates like John McCain or Mitt Romney. A lot of people don't understand this principle of politics. Compromise and weak stances on issues doesn't win elections.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

ajax here is the quid pro quo.

TRUMP QUID PRO QUO wrote:I would like you to do us a favor though,

Full stop. Right there. That's it. That's undeniably it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:I'd love to know how many people who used to be open to voting for a Republican but now vow they never will again without a massive overhaul (like me).

I kind of get the feeling people in this category are few and far between.

Bill Maher's right. Americans are generally dumb. The fact that the GOP has a chance in any elections at all proves that point.

I mean, seriously. Can anyone name a single thing the GOP is good for in terms of governance? They're useless! They are a cancer on the American experiment. Just the fact that their base would elect this fat ____ shows what kind of base it is.

"Deplorable" is too nice a word.

I’ve always voted for a D or an I in presidential elections, but that’s been more a function of who the candidates were than party affiliation. In my state and local elections, I’d always voted for who I thought was the best candidate, which means I’ve voted for lots of Republicans over the years.

Starting about when Newt Gingrich became speaker, I began to become concerned about the direction the Republican Party was taking. That concern was amplified by the rise of right-wing radio and the effect it was having on the party. But I didn’t change my voting philosophy.

When I saw how the Republican Party reacted to Obama’s election, I concluded the party had lost its moral compass and had thrown any semblance of loyalty to the country out the window in favor of winning at any cost. From that day forward, I have never voted for an R again. And given the Tea Party’s complete capture of the Republican Party, I doubt I ever will again. I feel bad for the sane candidates on the right (and there are lots of them) because they don’t have a political party that they can call home. But every time they’ve had the chance to show some moral courage to stand up to the pernicious ideology that first infected and then seized control of their party, they rolled over like obedient lap dogs.

So, yeah, you can put me down as someone who has voted for lots of Republicans in his life, but never will again.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey RI
Res Ipsa wrote:When I saw how the Republican Party reacted to Obama’s election, I concluded the party had lost its moral compass and had thrown any semblance of loyalty to the country out the window in favor of winning at any cost.

Did you actually write that? LOL!
_schreech
_Emeritus

Post by _schreech »

Ceeboo wrote:Image

I can count to potato! I have a degree from prager U!!!!
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:I feel bad for the sane candidates on the right (and there are lots of them) because they don’t have a political party that they can call home. But every time they’ve had the chance to show some moral courage to stand up to the pernicious ideology that first infected and then seized control of their party, they rolled over like obedient lap dogs.

This is the crux of it for me too, RI. Trump doesn't bother me nearly as much as the feckless, craven politicians enabling and normalizing his behavior. I won't vote for a Republican for the simple fact that they allow themselves to be associated with a known liar and crook rather than stand up for their morality and the future of the country. To belong to the GOP is to put party before country. And it's become clear you can't defend Trump or the party without lying, or admitting flatly to the crimes they're committing.

But another big piece of it is just the fact that the entire party's MO is misinformation and hypocrisy. They do virtually nothing to redeem themselves. They revel in BS.

I don't really consider this a conflict between Repubs and Dems. It's a conflict between people who care about facts and the law and those who don't. I'm not a particular fan of Democrats, but they really are the only reasonable choice, which is very unfortunate.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey RI
Res Ipsa wrote:When I saw how the Republican Party reacted to Obama’s election, I concluded the party had lost its moral compass and had thrown any semblance of loyalty to the country out the window in favor of winning at any cost.

Did you actually write that? LOL!

Yes. And I’m dead serious.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Ceeboo wrote:Did you actually write that? LOL!

Res Ipsa wrote:Yes. And I’m dead serious.

I don't blame you. The GOP treatment of Obama was beyond irrational. Only a blind partisan could miss it.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:

Ceeboo wrote:Did you actually write that? LOL!

Res Ipsa wrote:Yes. And I’m dead serious.

I don't blame you. The GOP treatment of Obama was beyond irrational. Only a blind partisan could miss it.

This sums up the way I feel as well. Like POMM, I used to be a loyal Republican. The party is now the party of anti-science and corrupt multi-billionaire, corporate oligarchs and businessmen whose only moral compass is the unlimited accumulation of wealth and political power for themselves, and the hell with anyone or anything else! The Democrat party is not perfect either, but they are not yet nearly as odiously depraved and devoid of sound policies and ethical awareness as the Republican party has become. I am becoming ever more strongly convinced that the Supreme Court decision in the case of Citizens United v. FEC of 2010 is largely what made inevitable the massive corruption that now pervades the U.S. Government, that resulted in the election of Trump and his cronies to the highest political offices in our land. Until that decision is overturned or invalidated by a constitutional amendment, it will remain possible for politicians to be bought and owned by the highest bidders and the most mercenary and corrupt special interests. That decision abundantly revealed that even the the Supreme Court is not immune to corporate corruption and manipulation.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison