The coronavirus spread updated in real time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: The coronavirus spread updated in real time

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Somebody smart said something like that. C'mon Utah. You watched New York. You watched New Jersey. You watched Washington. You watched Arizona. Be smarter than this. https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/25/ ... rus-cases/

Here's this week's blog from the Covid tracking project: https://covidtracking.com/blog/weekly-update-oct-22 Trump's final argument is turning out to be rising death rates in states he needs to win.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

[quote="Res Ipsa" post_id=1240913 time=1603729882 user_id=16705]C'mon Utah... Be smarter than this. [/quote]

I mean, you might as well say, "C'mon Republicans, be smarter than this." It ain't happenin', bro.

- Doc
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Who said Christie? Christie was hospitalized at Morristown Medical Center in the ICU. He got top notch ICU medical care from the day he was admitted (including the administration of Remdesivir) and if you think the average person who presents with covid symptoms gets that, then you are slap out of your mind. Anyone else would have been told to go home, quarantine, and not return unless they couldn't breathe.

Upon discharge, Christie penned a letter demonstrating that he was wrong not to wear a mask, wrong not to socially distance and was CHASTENED by the experience where blowhard Trump resumed rallies and boasted to the point of comparing himself to SUPERMAN.

Say what you will about Christie. He is a well educated person, one with a heart and soul, and man enough to admit publicly that he was wrong so that his statement will serve to ENCOURAGE OTHERS to take every precaution against the virus.

But not to worry, Trump says we're rounding the final turn. Tell that to over 200K Americans who rounded their final turn in the past 8 months and all those who will follow since our numbers are surging at record highs.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a top GOP ally of President Trump, said he's surprised that Vice President Pence is hitting the campaign trail after Pence's chief of staff and other aides tested positive for the coronavirus.

"I think everybody's got to put the health of the people they're going to be in touch with first," said Christie, who tested positive for the coronavirus and was hospitalized earlier this month.

"You got to keep yourself away from everybody, and I'm a little bit surprised," he said on ABC's "This Week" in response to a question from host Martha Raddatz about the news from Pence's office.

"The whole getting of COVID to begin with and the not wearing of masks has been a problem," Christie said at the beginning of his remarks.
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... t-covid-19
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:07 am
As I continue to record the daily numbers nationally and locally (I started back in early April), I noticed our local number of cases recently and steadily starting to shoot up. I just found this article from CNN...it confirms it. Fauci's been saying this would happen for a long time already. He wasn't wrong.

Please read the article below and pay attention, folks. Get your shots!

'Hunker down': The fall Covid-19 surge is here

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/health/u ... index.html

Local number of new cases--

The day masks were mandated: 156

About 2 weeks into the mandate: 48

A month into the mandate: 33

Last week: 117

Today: 103

USA total cumulative reported cases as of today: 8,013,228
USA total new cases today: +50,560
Here are current numbers from our county. Just as a demonstration...remember the last number of daily reported cases that I posted was 103.

Chinese Proverb
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:35 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:31 am
This "thing"...KILLS. Currently 1K deaths per day on average.
Yet Christie and Trump survived in it within a few days...and they are not textbook examples for healthy vibrant old folk.
They both needed ICU attention, and in Trump’s case, a full array of treatment options, some of which aren’t even available to the general public.

Let’s hope that you have an excellent healthcare plan with a very low deductible if your own case of COVID just happens to be anything similar to that experienced by your two ‘successful’ examples.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:25 am
subgenius wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:35 pm
Yet Christie and Trump survived in it within a few days...and they are not textbook examples for healthy vibrant old folk.
They both needed ICU attention, and in Trump’s case, a full array of treatment options, some of which aren’t even available to the general public.

Let’s hope that you have an excellent healthcare plan with a very low deductible if your own case of COVID just happens to be anything similar to that experienced by your two ‘successful’ examples.
I do have good healthcare, and enjoy the luxury of not being oh-so-close to octogenarian status and I dare say my exercise and eating habits are not the same as the 2 examples above (kinda the point here)...but more importantly, I enjoy the knowledge...the scientific knowledge, that covid19 has 99% survivability rate...which is a great deal higher than the survivability of reason between your ears.
So, while mooks run around amazed that more testing has yielded more positive cases...aw shucks, this all just fell between your ears.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:22 pm
canpakes wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:25 am

I do have good healthcare, and enjoy the luxury of not being oh-so-close to octogenarian status and I dare say my exercise and eating habits are not the same as the 2 examples above (kinda the point here)...but more importantly, I enjoy the knowledge...the scientific knowledge, that covid19 has 99% survivability rate...which is a great deal higher than the survivability of reason between your ears.
So, while mooks run around amazed that more testing has yielded more positive cases...aw shucks, this all just fell between your ears.
Plenty of non-octogenarian folks have faced difficulty or death from COVID regardless of better eating and exercise habits, or their pride in either.

Should you need some ICU attention, your out of pocket cost won’t be nonexistent. That sort of issue can break the budget of many households now strained from reduced employment or the loss of their coverage.

By the way, increased testing isn't responsible for increased hospitalizations, the latter of which are once again on the rise. You should have figured this out by now, but your injured pride keeps you coming back over and over to present ignorant talking points after being called out for heckling the number of worldwide cases at 60K and rising back in February. ; )
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Here's my county

It's not increased testing. Our positivity rate is also rising.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

We're already over 90K new reported cases in the country today. It's only 8:30-ish p.m. where I am. The numbers don't freeze for the day until midnight so far as I can tell.

Fu-Celestial Kingdom Trump.
Chinese Proverb