The coronavirus spread updated in real time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: The coronavirus spread updated in real time

Post by _Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Lemmie wrote:So, no panicking, but the amount of effort necessary to ratchet up to a safer environment is costly and time-consuming. No one seems to mind, but this may well have a lasting impact on behavior after this crisis passes, which would be a good thing, in my opinion.

I had the exact same thought. We should come out the other side of this stronger, assuming it doesn't kill us.

But will Trump allow any of this to happen?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Gunnar wrote:And how confident can we be that Trump will not attempt to use this crisis as justification for suspending or canceling the general election in November?

This article on emergency powers does not mention the power to suspend elections - but Trump could apparently give himself the power to shut down or control the internet, or in various ways try to intimidate voters or even have his opponents locked up without trial.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... rs/576418/

If Trump is ever voted out of office (and actually then consents to leave the White House, which is not certain), surely one of the first actions of a new Congress must be to clean up the mess of emergency powers that are in effect (as the article says), loaded guns lying on the President's desk. They were of course set up in times when nobody could imagine that a President as corrupt, venal and ruthless as Trump could ever be elected. But they are still there ...

Wow! That article is truly frightening, and I can think of no one more likely than Trump to try to exploit those measures to the hilt to preserve his own power and prevent investigation of his corruption and venality. This is made the more frightening by the fact that Trump may come to a realization that that may be the only way he can avoid being indicted and tried for laws he has broken both before and during his presidency, once he is no longer president.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

EAllusion wrote:
Gunnar wrote:Speaking of crises Trump has faced during his presidency, other than the corona virus, can anyone name one not caused or invented or exacerbated by Trump himself?

Hurricane Maria. The Trump admin's handling of that was catastrophic, but they were able to successfully memory hole it with an assist from the domestic media.

Global warming is also a slow burning crisis (no pun intended) requiring government action that the Trump admin is badly screwing up.

Aren't both of those listed crises examples exacerbated by Trump?

― Harlan Ellison
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Gunnar wrote:Aren't both of those listed crises examples exacerbated by Trump?
I misread you because Corona related problems are also being exacerbated by Trump. I apologize.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I have done some experimenting on my own and have discovered that Corona, consumed in moderation, is effective in reducing Coronavirus panic symptoms in 90% of those experiencing symptoms of panic. Use the familiar variety rather than extra, because the panic is spread mainly through close contact. Do not exceed one dose per hour. Evidence on the effect of lime is equivocal at this time. But I have an extensive testing regimen planned over the next several weekends.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:I have done some experimenting on my own and have discovered that Corona, consumed in moderation, is effective in reducing Coronavirus panic symptoms in 90% of those experiencing symptoms of panic. Use the familiar variety rather than extra, because the panic is spread mainly through close contact. Do not exceed one dose per hour. Evidence on the effect of lime is equivocal at this time. But I have an extensive testing regimen planned over the next several weekends.

I have never been so impressed with a poster on this board as I am with you after reading your above statement. Not only have you taken time to diligently inform us regarding the nature of the current health crisis directly from it's epicenter. You have reported from on the ground the measures you are personally taking to combat the spread of illness in the face of pandemic and encouraging the rest of us to do likewise, and now....and now...you are devoting the remainder of your personal time to conduct experiments in your own self-created home laboratory in an attempt to reduce psychological and emotional impact to all of humanity. ASMR as it were.

Your sacrificial heart does not go unnoticed, RI!! I am humbled by your devotion!! A mere pupil at your feet!!! You are and forever shall be, our HERO!!!

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Some Schmo wrote:
Lemmie wrote:So, no panicking, but the amount of effort necessary to ratchet up to a safer environment is costly and time-consuming. No one seems to mind, but this may well have a lasting impact on behavior after this crisis passes, which would be a good thing, in my opinion.

I had the exact same thought. We should come out the other side of this stronger, assuming it doesn't kill us.

Interesting point, and best wishes that we all survive!!

Speaking of changed behavior, last night my spouse and I went to a new small place, one we chose deliberately because it is less crowded and we can easily get a 2 person table that is a decent social distance from everyone else. (Plus the food is good so it’s not like we are sacrificing much.)

We sat down, and the first thing my husband did was offer me some of his ever-present hand sanitizer, after which he left the bottle on the table. A friend walked past and extended his hand. We both instinctively shook hands but immediately after he passed by our table I said “we might have to stop that,” and my husband agreed, and then offered me his hand sanitizer again.

Later in the evening, our 30-something waiter struck up a conversation, noting the possibility of public school closings. I said that in our town, it would be not so much for the kids but for the grandparents and great-grandparents, noting that its common for several generations to live in one location.

He said, you know, you’re right, my parents are in their 60s, I really don’t want to be infecting them if I get it. My husband, in his 60s, looked at me with the slightest eye roll. I don’t think he feels THAT old, yet.

Then our server asked, “has there ever been another event that has changed our behavior as much as it seems like this will?” Of course, both of us immediately said, “9-11,” but then we realized this kid was probably not even in high school when that happened. He seemed a little nonplussed at first, but as we discussed it further, it seemed like history came alive for him and he understood.

Sometimes, learning about history comes best by interacting with those who lived through it.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

It seems one is more vulnerable if one has diabetes. It seems some states in the US have high rates of diabetes. Hope they have a hospital system in place.
"According to the most recent Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) data, West Virginia has the highest adult rate of diabetes at 16.2%. Nine of the 10 states with the highest type 2 diabetes rates are in the South. A record high number of Americans—40%, or more than 100 million adults—are living with diabetes or prediabetes according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Without significant changes, as many as 30% of people with prediabetes will go on to develop type 2 diabetes."

https://stateofchildhoodobesity.org/diabetes/
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Special kudos to members of the press who treated an idiot man- child with no relevant experience aside from being a con-man as a totally normal thing.

Jesus Christ almighty.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Schools are closed here next week (and the week after is spring break). Just told my church and my jiu jitsu class I'm going to avoid them for two weeks and assess. (Note: at almost 28 weeks pregnant, was mostly just observing at BJJ class anyhow, but I will miss the humor and camaraderie a lot.) Rescheduled my book club MeetUp (The Golden Compass) to the end of April. The club was going to see A Quiet Place 2 next weekend, but the film's release has been postponed.

Was going to do a tour of the hospital maternity ward tomorrow, but they called us to cancel that. I figured they would.

My 6yo has been going stir-crazy for playing with tech lately. He keeps wanting to reprogram the Raspberry Pi that I lovingly programmed with a few hundred not-entirely-legal retro ROMs. I finally ordered him a KANO computer kit. It will be a good project for him under house arrest.

I ordered more paint for the baby's crib. I am painting the 6yo's old brown crib beige.

Keep me posted on y'all's lives in the era of coronavirus.

EA, sorry to hear about about your flu (coronavirus?) bout. Glad you are feeling better.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter