The coronavirus spread updated in real time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: The coronavirus spread updated in real time

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Can someone help me understand just what the “F” is the obsession with toilet paper right now?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Can someone help me understand just what the ____ is the obsession with toilet paper right now?

- Doc

It's a self-reinforcing loop of people knowing that other people are buying out toilet paper and reacting by preemptively buying out toilet paper only to cause others to know that people are buying out toilet paper.

Spouses who insisted on getting a bidet are probably gloating throughout the country.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:This is why tracking numbers are so difficult:

So. Yeah.

- Doc

This story is what I think hasn't sunk in with people yet. This counts as one of the "don't worry, non-old people aren't dying" stories. She almost died and would have if there wasn't critical medical care available for her. It caused extreme anguish for her and likely for her loved ones.

The rate that this happens with corona is much higher than the death rate. A lot of the infected develop a very serious illness. Every area that has been significantly afflicted keeps talking about this, but because our society seems to be in full terror management mode coming up with reasons to think "it won't be me", I don't think it's really sinking in yet.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

MsJack wrote:
EAllusion, sorry to hear about about your flu (coronavirus?) bout. Glad you are feeling better.
90% recovered? I still have a cough I can't shake and occasional echos of my earlier symptoms. This happens with the flu plenty often, so no need for me to assume I'm a Corona early adopter, but I also can't shake the thought that this is what happens with Corona.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Can someone help me understand just what the “F” is the obsession with toilet paper right now?

- Doc

I withhold my opinion on why folks do this. But I will wonder aloud why stores don’t just impose a limit on the number of packages that can be purchased on each trip through the registers. It wouldn’t halt all of the stupidity, but it might cut it down enough to allow normal folks a chance to buy what they need, too.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Bidets, man. $14. Amazon. For real.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

canpakes wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Can someone help me understand just what the ____ is the obsession with toilet paper right now?

- Doc

I withhold my opinion on why folks do this. But I will wonder aloud why stores don’t just impose a limit on the number of packages that can be purchased on each trip through the registers. It wouldn’t halt all of the stupidity, but it might cut it down enough to allow normal folks a chance to buy what they need, too.

My local costco imposed a 2 per customer rule. I think that was partially honor system as there didn't seem to be a way to prevent people from just buying 2 at a clip several times.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Bidets, man. $14. Amazon. For real.

**salutes**
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Ajax mentioned how difficult it is to get medical supplies. My best friend's daughter has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, along with a two-valve heart that is flipped and on the right side of her chest. She called her medical supply company for some feeding tube supplies, and she was on hold for 45 minutes. She is almost self-quarantined. I wash my hands and face every time I enter her room. She has a service dog, and I have to wash my hands before I touch him.

In San Francisco they have Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) that are our subway cars. Today (Friday) I got on a train at 8:00 am. On a normal day it is standing room only at 8am. Today there were 2 empty seats for every seated passenger, I'd guess around 25-30% of normal capacity. This city has a lot of high tech, and a lot of those people are working from home.

They laid of 65% of the Tour Guides where I work, and I honestly don't know how our business is going to keep above water in the next few months. You look at the paltry number of people taking tours and you know it is only going to get worse in the next few months. I'm sure we are hemorrhaging money.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus