Barack Obama as VP

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Barack Obama as VP

Post by _Icarus »

If Biden makes that choice, I think its a done deal and Trump loses.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Barack Obama as VP

Post by _moksha »

Biden needs to pick someone who is both younger and could help bring in voters. Hope he does not go with the Republican strategy of picking ninnies like Sarah Palin and Mike Pence.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

moksha wrote:Hope he does not go with the Republican strategy of picking ninnies like Sarah Palin and Mike Pence.

Is that really the GOP strategy or the only choice they've got? You can't get blood from a stone.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Can Obama if Biden passed away take the Presidency even though he has done eight years?
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

aussieguy55 wrote:Can Obama if Biden passed away take the Presidency even though he has done eight years?

Sure. Apparently US Presidents can do whatever the “F” they want, our Constitution be damned. This has naturally come as a surprise to many of us.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

aussieguy55 wrote:Can Obama if Biden passed away take the Presidency even though he has done eight years?

Amendment 22

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2. This Article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

The answer is, YES HE CAN. :cool:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

I'm not sure it is quite as clear cut as that. It would be nice if someone a lot smarter than me weighed in but I imagine the language in the 12th amendment could be fairly easily argued to prevent that loophole from actually being a thing:
Last Line of the 12th wrote:But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

I think DocCam is closer to a reason why "yes" might fly; we've decided as a country to throw the Constitution away.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Icarus wrote:If Biden makes that choice, I think its a done deal and Trump loses.

I thought I had raised this issue a while back? Memory might be sketchy on that though.

Yep. Done deal.

You know...this brings me back to my roots and a quaint little colloquial saying we have that I feel is just so fitting for this topic.

Yes. Biden can become the Dem candidate for President, Obama can constitutionally run for VPOTUS, they will win, then Trump can eat crap and die.

:lol:
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:I'm not sure it is quite as clear cut as that. It would be nice if someone a lot smarter than me weighed in but I imagine the language in the 12th amendment could be fairly easily argued to prevent that loophole from actually being a thing:
Last Line of the 12th wrote:But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

I think DocCam is closer to a reason why "yes" might fly; we've decided as a country to throw the Constitution away.

It says that a person cannot be elected more than twice for President. As I read that, he wouldn't be ineligible to run as VPOTUS or step in, in the event of the death of the President.

Let me make another post and go through that again as best I can.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Amendment 22

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President,

Obama wouldn't be elected as President more than twice.

or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once.

If he needed to act as President for more than two years of a term (taking over for Biden in the event of his passing) he could run for President one more time.

But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2. This Article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

I don't see that the above applies at the current time.
Chinese Proverb