Life Under Coronavirus

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Life Under Coronavirus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

So our governor in his infinite wisdom decided to start lifting restrictions in a 3-part stage model type deal starting...FRIDAY. So far as I can tell (and I've been following the stats for a month now interpreting them as best as I can) we do NOT have a 14 day trend downward as per the guidelines for re-opening as presented by Dr. Birx. I don't think that even one of the states that are re-opening right now have that trend in place.

I'm doing my first grocery pick up experience tomorrow at Walmart. I'm going to make myself go inside the store masked and visit the garden center area. I don't need to buy anything. I'm doing it for mental health purposes and a sense of normalcy. I had already decided to do this before I knew about the restrictions being lifted for a stage 1 re-opening. Since the restrictions are lifted starting Friday I feel like this is a good time to try getting in there before people start coming out in droves which I believe can happen. If I feel like it's unwise, I'll just turn around and leave.

All the local Facebook groups and in real life friends I've heard from think this is far too soon to lift restrictions. But I guess when you've got the President himself encouraging states to violate HIS own policies developed by HIS own experts for re-opening then--anything goes.

Yee ha.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote: I'm doing my first grocery pick up experience tomorrow at Walmart. I'm going to make myself go inside the store masked and visit the garden center area. I don't need to buy anything. I'm doing it for mental health purposes and a sense of normalcy. I had already decided to do this before I knew about the restrictions being lifted for a stage 1 re-opening. Since the restrictions are lifted starting Friday I feel like this is a good time to try getting in there before people start coming out in droves which I believe can happen. If I feel like it's unwise, I'll just turn around and leave.
Did it and done. All of it. Since the Walmart that is just 15-20 minutes from me doesn't deliver out here (nobody does except the local pizza place) I did the grocery pick up. It went like clockwork, color me impressed. The store worker who loaded my stuff was so congenial. I didn't get the feeling that he was stressed out. Masked, but not gloved. I was in fresh produce withdrawal, so that's mainly what I got. Walmart isn't known for great produce but I'm happy to have it.

I got everything I ordered with only one substitution--they gave me more than twice of the sub for the same price so I took it. I noticed that when I re-added things after midnight last night, they suddenly had items that were out of stock when I placed the original order. Go figure. I'll definitely do the pick up again when I need to.

Ran by the front of the store to see how they were handling store traffic. Parked and thought it over for a few minutes and decided to go inside. Was probably only inside the store for 10 minutes, double masked the entire time. I didn't feel at all stressed about it. The store traffic was very low and most customers and all employees were masked. Walked to the garden center, gave it the once over and went back inside and down one aisle. I don't understand how people are going in there without masks. I can't decide if they're ignorant, independent, in denial or suicidal.

I got a chance to see the plexiglass shields in front of the cashiers. I don't think they're sufficient but with employees and most customers masked, I guess they'll do. Didn't need to go through a register.

All things considered, it was a pleasant trip. Service was fab, I made myself go inside the store for a short and we've got salad for dinner.

:-)
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Update from me: I'm 34+3 today. I've been diagnosed with preeclampsia, moved to x2/wk monitoring, and given steroid shots to strengthen the baby's lungs in anticipation of early delivery.

Outcomes for 34-37 week preemies are generally very good, so I'm not panicking, but this is new territory for me.

No sign of COVID in my household.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

MsJack wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:31 pm
Update from me: I'm 34+3 today. I've been diagnosed with preeclampsia, moved to x2/wk monitoring, and given steroid shots to strengthen the baby's lungs in anticipation of early delivery.

Outcomes for 34-37 week preemies are generally very good, so I'm not panicking, but this is new territory for me.

No sign of COVID in my household.
Hang in there, MsJack. I had preeclampsia with my first, but a little later in my pregnancy. I ended up with a C-section within a week of my due date. Looking back I would say that I could have stayed calmer. Not that I am saying mind over medical matters(!), but meditation and mindfulness techniques did seem to help my blood pressure, but more importantly my calmness of mind and mental well-being. I’m pretty sure I am preaching to the choir with this advice! But in any case, keep us up to date. Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat, or just need a sympathetic ear.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in folks selling food from home? I'm talking mainly about Facebook Marketplace but our local Facebook groups are lighting up with selling cooks as well. Around here it's tamales, soups, stews, chili, egg rolls, tons and tons of baked goods--breads, muffins, cookies, rolls, buns, and even freezer preparation meals. I'm wondering if this is how folks are supplementing their income on unemployment? If so, they're pretty resourceful!
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

My 5 year old is at home. He is loving not having to go to school. Some kids are still going to school because their parents are front line workers.

My husband is still working and his company are taking the Mick. They are having them work over time without any PPE even though they have 5000 masks sitting in storage. Apparently they are waiting for Boris Johnston to tell them to use them in the hopes that they can get their money back if they don't use them. They are also talking about upping the hours to 12 hour shifts. His lab is about 1.2 meters wide. So no social distancing.

My 2.5 year old doesn't understand. She isn't complaining but does ask to go to the cafe or to visit people.

I'm like blahhhhhh some days. Some days are fun.

We are in lockdown. So I only occassionally go to the shop.

Decorating the livingroom. Slowly though.

Hoping to take the kids to the park today.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:19 am
I'm like blahhhhhh some days. Some days are fun.
Nice to hear from you again!

Believe me, you're doing REALLY well - congratulations!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Pirate! <3
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Hello. :) I just pop in every now and then.
Enjoying letting my brain go with the flow and not think too much about things these days lol. Think I discussed and debated my brains out too young 😂 got nothing left.

Husband is pissing me off today. But he doesn't know I'm pissed off cos he's being a selfish ignorant git. Ugghhh I.

Am I the only person that sticks their finger up at their partner when they aren't looking?

Any way.. meh.

Just annoyed because he said he would help me take the tv off the wall when the kids were asleep and then when the time came he refused to get up so I ended up doing it myself and it was not fun. He works, sleeps and plays computer games. And I mean like he can sleep 24 hours straight on his days off. And play computer games for the entire day. Then days where he isn't doing that he can moan and criticise me about how I've not done enough. Today he said I'm almost being the woman of his dreams that he wants me to be. Because I literally didn't stop. Which kinda sounds strange now that I am writing it down. Hmmmm.

Think I've started ranting. Lol

How are you all? Anything interesting happening?
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »