Life Under Coronavirus

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Life Under Coronavirus

Post by _EAllusion »

If you can get collective buy-in with increased use of thorough hand-washing, you can slow down the spread of the disease, which means the healthcare system will be better able to handle the people who do get sick.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Because the US's government and cultural response to this has been quite incompetent, we're gonna have to move to a war footing if things do not change very soon. We can't be far off needing the military called in to start building military hospital units and industries being repurposed to build needed medical supplies.

This is so frustrating because the nature of global spread gave us the time and data to know what kind of measures needed to be done. Also, the prospect of Donald Trump being President during this is terrifying both in terms of his incompetence and his willingness to usurp democracy to advance his interests.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

MsJack wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Dear lord, what is this place discord.app? Anyone know? One of my relatives just posted this.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... XU6UctUGDE

My ex-MIL posted this on her Facebook wall yesterday. Gods. It takes 5 seconds of Googling to find the Snopes article debunking it.

At least my Trump-loving boomer aunt has finally stopped doing "it's just the flu" posts and bragging about the two trips plus three cruises she's still going to take this year because it's all hype and she's not afraid.

Yeah. Like you, I've seen it all. One thing that I pretty much know for a fact is that when my relative isn't working, she's glued to Facebook. She's either posting or sending me a continuous stream of links in messenger--most of which I have to ignore or I'd go crazy trying to acknowledge every one of them. And, where I've been online for 20 years or whatever, all of this is new to her. Fact checking Snopes is not even a thing she's incorporated into her online experience. I know because I've seen things like this on her Facebook come up over time and they are easily checked out. She knows Snopes exists because her Facebook friends use it to debunk some of those posts. She just doesn't check before she posts. She probably thinks she's helping others and she's quite simply too engaged in posting to stop and think about the ramifications of what she posts before she posts.

I have to wonder (this is going to sound really snobbish of me) if people are completely devoid of intellectual curiosity. Do they not want to know more? Do they simply accept whatever floats across their screen? Do they not want to find out if something is true or false? Or is it just the process of posting crap online that appeals to them? Oh look! I know how to copy/paste!

I mean we've got Google and bing and what the hell else ever, to check things out. In this case, CDC and WHO websites to get information from. I sometimes feel (sounding snobbish again I know) that people are too intellectually lazy to dig and go deep or even take a moment to reflect on how socially irresponsible they are.

[/soapbox rant]
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Jersey Girl wrote:Dear lord, what is this place discord.app? Anyone know? One of my relatives just posted this.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... XU6UctUGDE

I don't know if they have shut down the page, but when I click the link I am shown the message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access denied.</Message>
<Details>
Anonymous caller does not have storage.objects.get access to discord/attachments/578069497492275200/688177283525378060/FB_IMG_1584144635617.jpg.
</Details>
</Error>

...so I'm not sure if the page was taken down or Firefox can't handle it.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

EAllusion wrote:If you can get collective buy-in with increased use of thorough hand-washing, you can slow down the spread of the disease, which means the healthcare system will be better able to handle the people who do get sick.

What you're saying is that in a world of advanced automation, we don't need to know how the moving parts work, and technicians who follow playbooks mindlessly are our greatest assets. That challenges my comments on "ritual". In aggregate, people who follow state-provided playbooks for handwashing without thinking through each incident on their own, would be the ideal sanitation approach to this problem.

I can't say that isn't true, but it only works if everyone is doing it.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Gadianton wrote:it only works if everyone is doing it

I wash my hands whenever I come home. That protects my family each time I do it. In that regard is irrelevant to me what other people outside my family do.

Of course, by taking precautions not not to get infected one also reduces the risk to other people one may meet. I'm happy with that, even if I am the only one doing it - which in any case I know I am not.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

My wife and I went out, and when we got to our car we did a little dab of hand sanitizer. When I got home I washed my hands. We also were celebrating a thing today, but decided to pick up a couple of items and spend the day home rather than be in an enclosed public space. So, I definitely have changed my day-to-day routine, for sure. Also, I have 2012 on right now because it just feels right. Lol.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I've been kind of OCD when it comes to using public bathrooms for years now. I wash my hands rigorously, always use a paper towel to dry if they are available and use the paper towel as a glove to open the door before throwing it away (there's almost always a trash bin by the door). I don't like touching anything with my bare hands in a public bathroom.

I'm not even willing to go into one now.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:I'm not even willing to go into one now.

In that case, where do you "do your business" when you're out and about?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:I'm not even willing to go into one now.

In that case, where do you "do your business" when you're out and about?

To be clear, I was saying I'm not willing to go into a public bathroom during this pandemic.

And I haven't been going out and about lately. I make focused trips to specific places to get specific items and then come home. I keep my distance from everyone and if I have to "do some business", I wait till I get home.

We've moved back to the city. Where we live right now, we happen to be walking distance to everything we need, so we're lucky that way.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.