Life Under Coronavirus

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Life Under Coronavirus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

LG has designed a wearable air purifier for your face
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/28/tech/lg- ... index.html

Well, after hearing so many reports of how their large appliances cut out, I am not sure what to think about these new air purifier masks. But here, they are for whomever might be interested.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Okay, I'm putting this post here because it just somehow fits life under Coronavirus.

You will see pictures of San Francisco today, but it is really hard to capture. Right now it is past 10am. But outside it is deep twilight. I have seen fog and smoke before, but never anything quite like this. The city seems covered with an impenetrable grey-orange dome that sunlight cannot pierce.

If this weather happened in a 'normal' year, it would be ominous and apocalyptic. I know I am watching a meteorological event, but After half a year of lockdown, I feel a little like an Aztec watching a solar eclipse. It feels like an dreadful portent.

"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Me Dot that photo is so disturbing. Apparently the smoke from your wildfires gets pushed up to Oregon where it gets pushed straight down to Colorado so we are getting it from your fires and also our own wildfires. There sits a Global Super Tanker down at Peterson Field and I am not aware that it's been deployed for our own fires or loaned to CA. I have no idea why but I find the idea that we have such a firefighting tool at our disposal and it hasn't been used simply outrageous. Colorado usually sends our hotshot teams to CA to help with fires but I reckon they are too busy fighting the fires here. Since we had snow yesterday and today (possibly tomorrow) maybe that will free up some of our teams to come out there though I am sure they need at least a short break. Why "they" don't deploy the super tanker is totally beyond me!

Stay indoors!
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, at least half of these 7%’ers are wearing masks:

https://ibb.co/VxRJwMZ

Funny how the media will point out bikers in Sturgis are responsible for a superspread, but they hardly make a peep about social distancing or lax mask usage with the rioters. Crazy. 190,000 dead and these assholes are a walking infectious spread for over 100 days.

- Doc
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a dental appointment to share. I went in for my hygiene appointment today. I had been emailed all the instructions and viewed my dentists youtube video about the current protocols. They functioned in line with all of that. Beforehand, I also filled out the Covid survey via email.

I love that they did everything via email. But that is my dentist. He's a big time tech geek. You'll soon see. :-)

When I arrived I called from the car as instructed. The hygienist met me masked on the sidewalk to ask a few additional questions about my survey answers. Temperature was checked. I was also masked as mandated.

I was asked to use hand sanitizer as soon as I was inside in the reception area. Taken directly back to my suite. There were other patients in their own suites, I'd say 1 or 2 patients--I really only saw one. Asked to remove mask and to swish 60 seconds with a special mouthwash that tasted spearminty. Answered questions about any trouble spots--had none really. Then reminded her that I had asked to try out the NuCalm stress relief system they've had for a couple or three years. The dentist came in and hooked me up for that. They had some kind if air handling/cleaning machine in the suite to add another layer of air filtering protection to the environment.

Routine X-rays. Cleaning--using no ultrasonic devices as per the current ADA. Hand scaling, something else--I dunno, not ultrasonic. Polish (I chose the Cotton Candy flavor!) and I had requested laser therapy at the gum line because I was so long overdue for a hygiene appointment. Followed up on x-rays, given future treatment plan. Made another follow up hygiene appointment to get me back on track.

Felt perfectly safe the entire time.

I want to describe the NuCalm experience. I figured I would try it this time because quite frankly, I thought it would be a long laborious cleaning process (it wasn't!) so I figured why not give it a go? It's a geeky stress relief system. The dentist uses it during the day when he goes on lunch break. :-) He put a disc patch on my wrist that was supposed to (don't quote me) pick up the bio rhythms or some such thing. Then what looks like a sleep mask and noise cancelling headphones. The system plays something like I dunno, sounds like you feel like you're going into outer space. It's not music. He turned it up to the volume that he likes. The hygienist gave me instructions...when I tap your chin, open your mouth. When I tap a shoulder, turn your head in that direction. If she wanted to actually speak to me, she'd pull the headphone out a bit so I could hear her.

What I noticed in comparison to all other dental visits I've ever had. I couldn't hear the tools at all. Nothing. Hand scaling felt like I was removed from it, like I almost wasn't in my body. I didn't know she was using the laser until she got to one area where I could feel the heat. By then, she was on the last quadrant.

Here is the telling factor as to whether or not the system relieves stress of any kind. I noticed my heart rate was very low--I'm hyper aware of my heart rate, I'd put it low about 63 bpm as just before I fall asleep. I am someone who can feel my heart rate and without a monitor, get very close to telling you how fast it's beating and usually I can come up with the exact number. Two years of self monitoring got me there. I felt that my entire body was perfectly relaxed from head to toe. As If I were coming out of Propofol. Usually when I am having a procedure, I have my fingers laced in front of me and find myself tensing up in that way. I never once laced my fingers.

Dentist asked me for feedback about it. Definitely enjoyed the experience, paid out of pocket but I haven't looked at the bill to see how much it was. Definitely would like to use it again because it was just such a pleasant experience. It takes you someplace else like you are floating in space. And...my dentist says that the NuCalm system is up for approval for home use! And then we talked about listening to Pink Noise for sleep and he told me that Alexa can do it. He's so geeky I just love him!

Oh (I know you don't need to know this, just feeling chatty) he's also a complete Rock 'n Roll junkie. He had the Stones playing when he greeted me. I told him he was playing my music. Told him about the Stones concert--he wanted to know about the sound system because geek. On the way out of my suite could see my regular hygienist in another suite across from me and I danced a little to the music that was on and gave her a smile. I figured they are having to be so serious right now, I'd lighten it up for a second. She smiled and waved and danced a little right back!

Love them all!
Chinese Proverb