Life Under Coronavirus

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Life Under Coronavirus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

MsJack wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Dear lord, what is this place discord.app? Anyone know? One of my relatives just posted this.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... XU6UctUGDE

My ex-MIL posted this on her Facebook wall yesterday. Gods. It takes 5 seconds of Googling to find the Snopes article debunking it.

At least my Trump-loving boomer aunt has finally stopped doing "it's just the flu" posts and bragging about the two trips plus three cruises she's still going to take this year because it's all hype and she's not afraid.

What about a Trump-supporting narcissist who's running for a school board?

https://Twitter.com/realkatiejow/status ... 4623437824

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I already work remotely so no change there.

My wife and I had planned a trip to Vegas we were supposed to leave for today. We won't be doing that. Even if I was unafraid of the recycled air in the airplane, I can't help but think Vegas is built to transmit germs (just thinking of people touching all those chips and dice and slot machine buttons... *heave*)

Besides, none of the shows will be happening, and the good restaurants will close. We can have nothing to do at home just as easily as in Vegas.

We are not alone. I've been trying to call the airline all week to get credits for our flight. I can't get through.

There's a very small part of me (and I do realize it's small) that feels ripped off by this. It's small because I know this inconvenience to my wife and me is nothing compared to how this will affect many, many others. We can still work.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

EAllusion wrote:David Shor did a data analysis strongly suggesting the behavioral response to the corona virus threat is diverging significantly between liberals and more conservative non-white Democrats and conservatives. This seems to match the general sense you get from seeing the cultural response.

This would be somewhat reassuring for me locally as Madison is dominated by liberals and, sure enough, there's been a major decline in public activity over the past few days.

It's interesting that the herd immunity will happen first to the group with the biggest herd mentality.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Well isn't she a spicy little firecracker? Her low standards for "delicious" are pretty annoying, I'll give it that. Red Robin = tiny hamburgers + endless fries. I ate at Burger King yesterday, double whopper / no fries. I took my time. I didn't do any hand sanitizer rituals. Yesterday, I saw an older guy who looked to have one foot in the grave eating at Rubios. He wore a military cap; I followed him out and he had an Obama sticker on his car. Bottom line is people have to eat, and it's either restaurants or going to the store.

This is just social media grade-school stuff. The quote she was responding to was probably meant to be annoying; a random tweet preaching the obvious is akin to teacher's pet "shhhhh!"-ing the other kids in the class, which always begs for a response.

She only went for the same reason the military guy went mentioned above. If the outbreak gets serious in her town, she's far less likely to risk it.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Gadianton wrote:I didn't do any hand sanitizer rituals.

Uh-huh.

Was there some reason why you decided to ignore what are now normal precautions to avoid passing on infection to others, some of whom will be highly vulnerable to the virus in question?

And what do you intend to convey by referring to a rapid, convenient and prudent hygienic procedure as a 'ritual'? Are you suggesting that it is in some way ridiculous or superstitious to observe such precautions?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:
Gadianton wrote:I didn't do any hand sanitizer rituals.

Uh-huh.

Was there some reason why you decided to ignore what are now normal precautions to avoid passing on infection to others, some of whom will be highly vulnerable to the virus in question?

And what do you intend to convey by referring to a rapid, convenient and prudent hygienic procedure as a 'ritual'? Are you suggesting that it is in some way ridiculous or superstitious to observe such precautions?

Yeah, I'm not sold on hand sanitizer either (I rarely use it - something about it really bothers me). I prefer the good old soap and warm water method.

I'm not sure removing all bacteria from your hands is such a good idea. Some bacteria is good for you.

Regardless, I've heard conflicting stories on it, and given that I survived most of my life without it existing, I think I'm okay sticking to soap and water.

I understood what was meant by "ritual." Some people use hand sanitizer religiously.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Some Schmo wrote:I'm not sold on hand sanitizer either (I rarely use it - something about it really bothers me). I prefer the good old soap and warm water method.

At home the use of alcohol-based hand sanitiser is pointless. Careful soap and water washing is just as effective. However, if you are in a place where that is not a possibility (which I assume was Gadianton's case), use of hand sanitiser on entering a shared space has a role in helping protect others from infection you may have picked up elsewhere, as well as in protecting yourself.

Some Schmo wrote:I'm not sure removing all bacteria from your hands is such a good idea. Some bacteria is good for you.

We are talking about now, right? Like when there is a nasty virus spreading rapidly? And you think it might be unhealthy to wash your hands?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:What about a Trump-supporting narcissist who's running for a school board?

https://Twitter.com/realkatiejow/status ... 4623437824

Along the same lines, the governor of Oklahoma posted a tweet of him and his children at a crowded restaurant celebrating being out and supporting local businesses. It was taken down pretty quickly after it provoked an enraged response.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:We are talking about now, right? Like when there is a nasty virus spreading rapidly? And you think it might be unhealthy to wash your hands?

With hand sanitizer, yes. That was the point of my post.

While there's this nasty virus spreading, I wouldn't recommend people use hand sanitizer while entering a restaurant. I'd recommend they don't go out to eat.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Some Schmo wrote:Yeah, I'm not sold on hand sanitizer either (I rarely use it - something about it really bothers me). I prefer the good old soap and warm water method.

Hand sanitizer happens to be good at denaturing this particular virus.