CV-19 therapeutic drug trials and Vaccine

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: CV-19 therapeutic drug trials and Vaccine

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:14 am

Geek.
Totally!
:geek:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN24B2RM

TB vaccinations may be helping to lower death rates
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

If statins or other cholesterol reducing drugs like Fenofibrate can reliably reduce severity of Coronavirus to that of a common cold, as Israeli researches seem to be confirming, that will go a long way towards enabling us to return to near normal, even if none of the vaccines currently being developed live up to expectations. Here's hoping!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:57 am
If statins or other cholesterol reducing drugs like Fenofibrate can reliably reduce severity of Coronavirus to that of a common cold, as Israeli researches seem to be confirming, that will go a long way towards enabling us to return to near normal, even if none of the vaccines currently being developed live up to expectations. Here's hoping!
That's a fibrate though, not a statin.
Chinese Proverb
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:08 am
Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:57 am
That's a fibrate though, not a statin.
You're right! I already caught my mistake and was in the process of editing my post at the same time you were posting this reply, but thanks for the correction, anyway. :smile:

ETA: Either you already incorporated my correction in your quote of my post, or you didn't notice that I said "Statins or other cholesterol reducing drugs like Fenofibrate . . ." in my edited version, not "statins like Fenofibrate . . ." as in my original post.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Final report confirms remdesivir benefits for COVID-19

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-res ... s-covid-19
Chinese Proverb
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

viewtopic.php?p=1240372#p1240372
The above should have been in this thread, instead of in a thread by itself.

― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:57 am
viewtopic.php?p=1240372#p1240372
The above should have been in this thread, instead of in a thread by itself.
Oh yes! Your report definitely has a place on this thread! This old thread was buried a couple of pages back. Took me a while to find it. Thanks for adding your information to it and keeping us on top of recent developments!
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:12 am
Final report confirms remdesivir benefits for COVID-19

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-res ... s-covid-19
On the other hand https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4057
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I wonder if sars covid 2 has mutated and if whatever vaccine is brought to market will be comparable to the flu vaccine. Due to constant mutation of the various flu viruses, flu vaccines are always behind the curve and rarely, if ever, are more than 50% effective. Usually, the flu vaccine effective rate is much less than 50%. I took the vaccine one year and had the worst flu symptoms I ever had for about 2 hours. I rarely get the flu and so stay away from the flu vaccine. My parents take it yearly and so does my GF. But I think there is a lot of skepticism regarding whether or not the shot will be worth it or not. At present, there is less than a 1% chance of dying from sars covid 2 and steroid treatments are getting better at stopping the cytokine storm that is the real killer. Perhaps the vaccine will go the way of the bird flu scare back in 2009?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen