Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

Post by _Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:58 pm
The world will not adjust to you Kevin. You need to adjust to the world.
...says the guy who's watching thousands of white people protesting for BLM in the streets.

I'm not sure why Trump fans want a wall. They've already built one against reason and common sense.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:16 pm

If a Nixon goes to China moment is needed to change course, then Biden and Harris are good choices.
That's why I referenced it. I don't think that's what's needed. I think the popular will is already there. But if Biden is going to be the one to carry the ball over the line, then he's going to have to run counter to the sweep of his political career. I get the sense that this is possible, though I am much more skeptical of Harris. She's been bragging about personally abusing police powers up into the recent present. At least Biden tends to shift with the median Democrat, so you can see how he might shift as the party does.

Biden picking Harris is a sign his crew might not care about genuine policy reform in preference for shallow optics. There's a certain class of pundit - the kind that get paid large sums of money to consult for campaigns - who just think "pick a black person!" and dust their hands off. In Biden's case, I think we need to see some evidence of policy commitment and prioritization.

Perhaps LBJ is a better analogy in Biden's case. LBJ was once a Dixiecrat friendly politician who stuck a knife in their kidneys when the time came.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

EA. Who be your VP pick, yo.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

EAllusion wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:16 pm

If a Nixon goes to China moment is needed to change course, then Biden and Harris are good choices.
That's why I referenced it. I don't think that's what's needed. I think the popular will is already there. But if Biden is going to be the one to carry the ball over the line, then he's going to have to run counter to the sweep of his political career. I get the sense that this is possible, though I am much more skeptical of Harris. She's been bragging about personally abusing police powers up into the recent present. At least Biden tends to shift with the median Democrat, so you can see how he might shift as the party does.

Biden picking Harris is a sign his crew might not care about genuine policy reform in preference for shallow optics. There's a certain class of pundit - the kind that get paid large sums of money to consult for campaigns - who just think "pick a black person!" and dust their hands off. In Biden's case, I think we need to see some evidence of policy commitment and prioritization.

Perhaps LBJ is a better analogy in Biden's case. LBJ was once a Dixiecrat friendly politician who stuck a knife in their kidneys when the time came.
OK, I understand. I agree that if anything is to be done, both have to admit to past mistakes and campaign on specific reform proposals. If LBJ can do it, I see no reason why these two can't. I agree that saying "any black person" is foolishly shallow thinking. Luckily, there isn't only one available. :wink:
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 pm
EAllusion. Who be your VP pick, yo.

- Doc
I've already said I think it should be Warren. Coincidentally, she's by far the most popular pick for VP among black Americans. Also the first major politician I'm aware of who gave full-throated support to BLM when it was politically risky to do so. Policy-wise, she's tight on this issue. I like Warren primarily for corruption-related reasons, but that she's good on civil rights is also good.

There is a certain species of white liberal pundit whose understanding of politics is essentially one of Sorkin's coke-fueled fantasies who thinks it *has* to be a black person to appease black people, though.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Icarus wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:02 pm
It is already adjusting.

You're the one who is watching his precious racist monuments collapse after decades of fame. Your orange dictator is about to be overthrown by the people of America, and the upcoming administration will oversee major police reform that's going to drive people like you crazy as it chips away at the foundational mechanisms that prop up our systemic racist environments.

These are good times for non-racists.
I guess all the shop owners who have had their businesses destroyed are racist then.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

A white female demonstrates an example of her white privilege she enjoys from BLM protesters. Not sure if the link will work as google is censoring videos that show the other side of the argument. She must have been racist because these are great days for nonracist white people.

https://13wham.com/news/local/woman-att ... r-business
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

EAllusion wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:56 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 pm
EAllusion. Who be your VP pick, yo.

- Doc
I've already said I think it should be Warren. Coincidentally, she's by far the most popular pick for VP among black Americans. Also the first major politician I'm aware of who gave full-throated support to BLM when it was politically risky to do so. Policy-wise, she's tight on this issue. I like Warren primarily for corruption-related reasons, but that she's good on civil rights is also good.

There is a certain species of white liberal pundit whose understanding of politics is essentially one of Sorkin's coke-fueled fantasies who thinks it *has* to be a black person to appease black people, though.
I agree with you that I'd bet on Warren to push Biden harder towards reform than Harris would.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:13 pm
A white female demonstrates an example of her white privilege she enjoys from BLM protesters. Not sure if the link will work as google is censoring videos that show the other side of the argument. She must have been racist because these are great days for nonracist white people.

https://13wham.com/news/local/woman-att ... r-business
What evidence do you have that these are BLM protesters?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

EA,

Your choice to help dismantle systemic racism is a white woman?

*sucks teeth*

- Doc