Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

Post by _subgenius »

Icarus wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Ben Shapiro is a moron who doesn't understand what systemic racism is. ...
You keep saying this while never accepting the challenge to either tell everyone what it is or at least prove that it exists.
(spoiler alert: you can't and it doesn't)

Now post a pic of Cuomo standing on the bodies of those forced into nursing home. Rube.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Icarus wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:11 pm
[And then making idiotic claims about Democrat cities being crime-ridden.
why u no list Chicago? Baltimore? Detroit? St Louis?

oh, because you just did murder...not crime..and because (obvious) your post are inept.

Lets dumb it down for ya:
2019 CRIME rates per 100k, top 5 cities in US:

1 St. Louis Missouri 2,082.3 - Democrat Mayor
2 Detroit Michigan 2,056.7 - Democrat Mayor
3 Baltimore Maryland 2,027.0 - Democrat Mayor
4 Memphis Tennessee 2,003.3 - Democrat Mayor
rube
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

subgenius wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:52 am
Icarus wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Ben Shapiro is a moron who doesn't understand what systemic racism is. ...
You keep saying this while never accepting the challenge to either tell everyone what it is or at least prove that it exists.
(spoiler alert: you can't and it doesn't)

Now post a pic of Cuomo standing on the bodies of those forced into nursing home. Rube.
Even Shapiro doesn't deny that it exists. He just blames it on the Left because like you, he's an idiot.

Systemic racism has been proven time and time again but gets dismissed by racists who don't want to accept the fact that racism is a problem. Instead they focus on "individual choices" and say dumb things like, black people suffer because they make bad choices like having sex out of wedlock, committing more crimes, etc. All of that is racist talk because it assumes there is something about being black that makes people make bad choices. But you're too racist and stupid to realize it. Systemic or institutionalized racism doesn't refer to individual, overt racism. It refers to a system that is inherently designed to privilege white people, and is thus racist as it produces fewer successful black people by design. It began with slavery, and idiots like you think racism doesn't exist anymore because slavery ended a long time ago.

But what you're too ignorant to understand is the after effects of slavery that in many ways made racist reactions towards black communities worse and more violent than what they experienced during actual slavery. At least during slavery the slave owner had some interest in keeping their "property" alive long term and healthy enough to work. What happened after slavery and the Civil War was that many states enacted laws immediately that were designed to target the freed slaves. "Vagrancy" laws were enacted everywhere that applied ONLY to black men without a job, and so they'd arbitrarily arrest black men and put them to work as prison workers on plantations which was in many ways worse than their previous time as slave labor.

In the early 20th century every state in the South had mandated racial segregation by law. These Jim Crow laws created a stigma for black communities and made it nearly impossible for them to succeed until 1954 when the the Supreme Court struck them down. Two years later the Southern Manifesto pledged to keep Jim Crow and some states enacted dozens more Jim Crow laws designed to oppress, subjugate black communities. This isn't something that happened centuries ago, it happened decades ago. It wasn't until 1967 that black people were even allowed to marry white people. I attended a "segregation academy" most of my childhood in Alabama. The school was Glenwood High School in Smiths Station Alabama, and I remember vividly when an occasional black person would try to enroll and he'd be rejected for not other reason than the color of his skin. Glenwood was a product of the Southern Manifesto when dozens of "segregation academies" were created as a resentful response to the Supreme Court striking down Jim Crow.

Even at the Federal level, for decades laws were designed to encourage white families to own homes and to encourage black families to remain isolated in the inner cities. This began in 1934 when the FHA started a risk rating system that resulted in REDLINING. After WWII there was an explosion in suburban housing and black families were restricted from owning them. So blacks couldn't live in white neighborhoods and they couldn't get federally insured loans to live in black neighborhoods. So they remained poor and disadvantaged for decades.

Even the GI Bill which was a huge plus for veterans looking to purchase a home, was not applicable to the vast majority of black veterans. Of the 67,000 post-war mortgages in New York/New Jersey, fewer than 100 went to non-whites. In 1947 in Mississippi, there were 3200 federally insured mortgages provided to war veterans, and only 2 went to non-whites.

As a result, white families after the war were able to grow wealth, build home equity, create retirement funds, pass on inheritance to their children, etc. These privileges were not available to black communities.

In the second half of the 20th century manufacturing plants moved out of the inner cities and into the suburbs. This left black people living in the inner city with another disadvantage because now they had another expense (travel) if they wanted to keep work. They had no other choice because they weren't allowed to live in most of the suburban developments. In 1970 only 20% of black fathers had access to a car.

Then there is the war on drugs which specifically target black people.

This isn't to say black people cannot succeed. They most certainly can. But because of systemic racism they are far less likely to succeed, and when they do succeed, it is because they worked much harder and overcame far more obstacles than a typical white person.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

subgenius wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:04 am
Icarus wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:11 pm
[And then making idiotic claims about Democrat cities being crime-ridden.
why u no list Chicago? Baltimore? Detroit? St Louis?

oh, because you just did murder...not crime..and because (obvious) your post are inept.

Lets dumb it down for ya:
2019 CRIME rates per 100k, top 5 cities in US:

1 St. Louis Missouri 2,082.3 - Democrat Mayor
2 Detroit Michigan 2,056.7 - Democrat Mayor
3 Baltimore Maryland 2,027.0 - Democrat Mayor
4 Memphis Tennessee 2,003.3 - Democrat Mayor
rube
Fact check: Big cities have crime and more Democrats, but it's a stretch to link them

Mouth breather, correlation and causation is something most of us learned in high school. I recommend you try to finish.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... o_show_me/

Looks like the black ladies are catching up on group privileges. She’s a queen, she slays, and she’s goin’ to jail. Can you imagine the news coverage if the lady were a white woman and the plane was primarily full of black passengers and staff? Icarus would have to get therapy to deal with the emotional trauma!

- Doc
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

And this is how systemic racism continues through the 21st century, with idiots like doc pretending its all a hoax based on some idiot on a plane.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here you, buddy:

https://www.google.com/search?q=looney+ ... 7&hl=en-US

Pick whichever one most closely approximates your emotional state any given moment.

- Doc
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Icarus, did you read Slavery by Another Name?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:36 pm
I have not. But I just read a review of it, and so I'm ordering a copy.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Icarus wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:36 pm
I have not. But I just read a review of it, and so I'm ordering a copy.
I read it it last year and highly recommend it. It examines a piece of history that I had been totally unaware of. And I think it helps explain how the racist structure of our criminal justice system developed over time.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951