Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Re: Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

Post by _Icarus »

Jesus. First time seeing this one, from April. White cop twice his size treats 14 year old black kid like a rag doll, smears his face in the dirt, proceeds to pummel him for illegally purchasing a tobacco product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssLACQY_4Q

And I thought this one was bad: https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/ar ... estigation

And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6r1R8B ... &index=406

A white police officer punched and broke the jaw of a black business owner who called 911 after his Alabama store was robbed, surveillance video shows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

KSLA Investigates reveals video of Tommie McGlothen’s last encounter with police https://www.ksla.com/2020/06/08/ksla-in ... th-police/

White cop slams 120 lb black school teacher to pavement over traffic violation. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-show ... -motorist/ Footage continues to reveal the cop asking the woman if she understands why people fear black people. He explains to her that it is because black people tend to be more violent.

Brutal police dog attack shows K-9 not letting go of black man. Anglero-Wyrick, 35, will remain in the hospital for the next few weeks after a “6-inch chunk” was taken out of his calf, including other bite wounds. “He can’t feel his toes,” a family member told the Post. He was arrested and charged with resisting officers and suspicion of violating parole. Deputies were told Anglero-Wyrick had pointed a gun at two people in a 911 call on April 4 — possibly a false report, as no firearm was found: https://nypost.com/video/santa-rosa-pol ... etting-go/

I'm curious, at which point are black people allowed to fight back? It seems that liberty loving folks should support the idea that people should be able to fight back against cops if they fear for their lives.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Icarus wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:48 am
I'm curious, at which point are black people allowed to fight back? It seems that liberty loving folks should support the idea that people should be able to fight back against cops if they fear for their lives.
I am afraid that it is becoming clear that some police officers treat black people that way precisely because they hope to provoke them to fight back. Or even just to attempt to run away.

Because then the police officer can shoot them dead on the spot, and people will say "Yeah, but he/she was violently resisting arrest. so what did they expect". If I was black, I have no idea how I could deal with that dilemma. But I'd certainly spend quite a lot of my life being afraid, and quite a lot of my life being angry too.

I mean, why wouldn't I? Wouldn't you?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:45 am
Icarus wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:48 am
I am afraid that it is becoming clear that some police officers treat black people that way precisely because they hope to provoke them to fight back. Or even just to attempt to run away.
It's this exact point that makes the don't resist arrest argument a racist dog whistle to me. If you're white, being cooperative will allow you to survive the encounter 9999/10000 times. No doubt about it.

If you're black? Well, you better hope the officer isn't a douche bag or in a bad mood, and you've got a shot. As long as you can slow your breathing and keep calm in the face of everything you know about how the police treat black people, you've got a chance of survival.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:07 pm
Chap wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:45 am

It's this exact point that makes the don't resist arrest argument a racist dog whistle to me. If you're white, being cooperative will allow you to survive the encounter 9999/10000 times. No doubt about it.

If you're black? Well, you better hope the officer isn't a douche bag or in a bad mood, and you've got a shot. As long as you can slow your breathing and keep calm in the face of everything you know about how the police treat black people, you've got a chance of survival.
Exactly.

Just look at how those two white folks stormed out of their homes pointing guns at peaceful protesters simply because they were terrified. They weren't even in their yard, they were marching down the street to the governor's home to protest. But they felt disrespected and couldn't just lay down and mind their own business. Now they've been charged for brandishing because apparently its illegal in Missouri to point a gun at someone.

I'm reminded of the final scene from the movie "Time to Kill" with Samuel L. Jackson. Try imagining this 14 year old black kid as your blonde, blue eyed daughter being violently tossed about by a large black man that is more than twice her size. I'm confident that if there were more videos of these things happening then there would be no movement for "support the blue" coming mainly from the white community. They support the blue because they know they don't have to worry about the blue treating them or their loved ones like this. I can tell you that if a cop ever did this to my 14 year old son, nothing would prevent me from finding him on the streets to go toe to toe. I don't understand how so many black parents show such restraint because you never hear about them going after the cops who beat or killed their kids.

Like that cop said in the video, the reason this happens so much with black people is because cops feel like black people are naturally more violent. That's his justification. It is about skin color.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EDDIE GLAUDE, MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR: I think the idea of appealing to white resentment and white fears, drawing on a particular understanding of America as fundamentally white, that that language has been a part of Republican strategy since I remember remembering, right? It's been a part of my political reality ever since I became aware of American politics. So he sits somewhere on the spectrum between Ronald Reagan and George Wallace."

Wallace a lifelong Democrat, and when Reagan ran for President in 1980, his opponent, Democratic President Jimmy Carter, made a campaign appearance with Wallace.
And, in 1984, when President Reagan ran for reelection, Democratic nominee Walter Mondale met with Wallace during the campaign.

Yep, there's certainly a myth about racsim in our culture today.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:19 pm
EDDIE GLAUDE, MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR: I think the idea of appealing to white resentment and white fears, drawing on a particular understanding of America as fundamentally white, that that language has been a part of Republican strategy since I remember remembering, right? It's been a part of my political reality ever since I became aware of American politics. So he sits somewhere on the spectrum between Ronald Reagan and George Wallace."

Wallace a lifelong Democrat, and when Reagan ran for President in 1980, his opponent, Democratic President Jimmy Carter, made a campaign appearance with Wallace.
And, in 1984, when President Reagan ran for reelection, Democratic nominee Walter Mondale met with Wallace during the campaign.

Yep, there's certainly a myth about racsim in our culture today.
https://Twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/ ... 6785489921
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

You have to understand what racism means to the Democrats who use this cudgel. Racism means anyone who doesn't accept Marxism and the new world order. It's anyone who doesn't want open borders. It's anyone who wanted the border closed to stop the spread of Covid. It means anyone who wants the police to stop the looting. It's anyone who thinks truckdrivers shouldn't have there routes forcibly blocked by BLM protesters. It's anyone who thinks those who assaulted and beat Reginald Denny should be in jail.

White supemacy is anyone celebrating the 4th of July (according to their leader Kaepernick) and anyone who admires the founding fathers of the US. White supremacism is a Republican holding a speech at Mt. Rushmore. It's anyone who doesn't march for civil rights according to LeBron unless of course it's in Hong Kong and there's Chinese money at stake for him the NBA. Then we don't believe in civil rights. White supremacy is anyone wearing a MAGA hat.

Under this definition there's an enormous number of racist and white supremacists.
Last edited by ICCrawler - ICjobs on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Awww, shheeeeit. They comin’ for ya, Ajax:

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/lo ... f19ec2c8ba

Demonstrators amass at Stone Mountain Park

“I want the heart of the Ku Klux Klan to hear me no matter where the f*** you are," he said. "I'm in your house. Where you at? You made a threat. We don't threaten."

You betta back da “F” up, Ajax. 8 million gun sales since March. Where you gonna be when dis bitch pops off? Got a feelin’ you ain’t gonna no where near the action, you scared.

- Doc
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

George Wallace made a serious effort to join Goldwater as the VP on a 1964 unity ticket. He was rejected. Why did Wallace do that? He, famously, ran as a segregationist independent candidate in 1968 helping to split the Democratic vote. Why? Richard Nixon and later Ronald Reagan routinely borrowed Wallacisms for their own campaigns. Why would they do that? Wallace's areas of electoral strength in the 60's are now the most firm strongholds of Republican support in the entire country. Why?
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:57 pm
You have to understand what racism means to the Democrats who use this cudgel. Racism means anyone who doesn't accept Marxism and the new world order. It's anyone who doesn't want open borders. It means anyone who wants the police to stop the looting. It's anyone who thinks truckdrivers shouldn't have there routes forcibly blocked by BLM protesters. It's anyone who thinks those who assaulted and beat Reginald Denny should be in jail.

White supemacy is anyone celebrating the 4th of July (according to their leader Kaepernick) and anyone who admires the founding fathers of the US. It's anyone who doesn't march for civil rights according to LeBron unless of course it's in Hong Kong and there's Chinese money at stake for him the NBA. Then we don't believe in civil rights. White supremacy is anyone wearing a MAGA hat.

Under this definition there's an enormous number of racist andvwhite supremacists.
Racism is obstinate prejudice towards members of a racial group or discrimination based on the same as Ajax18 is routinely known for engaging in and supporting.

There's a popular conception of racism as inherently something a powerful group does to an oppressed group, but I'm not a fan of that idea even though it has a fair amount of adherents.

Ajax18 is a massive racist whose heart is black with bigotry. He knows he can't defend this, so he will only engage at the level of ludicrous straw-man. But he helpfully is a walking example that even hardcore racists tend to bristle at being called racists and reject the label.