Problems with the board

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Problems with the board

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey, in reference to you comments about the board going down suddenly, I think that could be addressed by each person providing some kind of contact information to Shades or someone else they trust.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:58 pm
Jersey, in reference to you comments about the board going down suddenly, I think that could be addressed by each person providing some kind of contact information to Shades or someone else they trust.
What about using the back up board we already have since it was designed for just that purpose?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:26 pm
Lemmie, the original introduction of the "wife beater" claim was much more direct and clear. I think it was taken down pretty quickly. Why Icarus thinks continuing to refer to it is okay mystifies me.
The quotes that she supplied came from this very thread. There could've been one that did not.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:28 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Please explain what you mean by that.
I am just spit-balling here. I hardly ever visit Spirit Paradise. My understanding is that Icarus spends most of his time here, and Icarus is interested in keeping MormonDiscussions.com alive partly for that reason (although not only for that reason). If Icarus was willing to show up and put up money, then I would hardly write him out of the future of the board. In any case, an offer remains on the table, and, if I am reading everything correctly, Icarus is the one who made it.

We will see what happens. I am not going to jump the gun, but I would still like to express my interest in how the future of the board is secured, one way or another.
Outside of him acting as a regular financial contributor with everyone else from the community who chooses to chip in money, my objection to his having any type of hands-on involvement here stands.

Just for the record, I myself, do not want any type of hands-on involvement here either. I could run go-fer deletes (of deletes) for Shades, but I don't think that'd be necessary with a new functional board in place.

While I am on the sub topic here, this board is going to need at least one more moderator if EA doesn't return. He's been gone from here for 2 months now and while my concern is ultimately for him as a person ( I pray nothing horrible has happened), it also means that Shades stands alone, not that he can do much moderating just now. harmony remains on the mod team but she hasn't posted here for years. Shades shouldn't be expected to row the boat alone here.

But that need remains in the far off future until this all gets figured out and there is a plan in place.
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Can we get some input from Dr. Moore down here since his name came up previously on this thread? I think that would be important.

*edited out stupid crap. Be back later.
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese Proverb
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Lemmie, the original introduction of the "wife beater" claim was much more direct and clear. I think it was taken down pretty quickly. Why Icarus thinks continuing to refer to it is okay mystifies me.
That’s unfortunate. When a poster repeatedly referred to my son as a racist, I went the apparently old-fashioned route and simply asked Shades each time to remove the reference, which he kindly did, multiple times. At the moment, as far as I know, another commenter’s 6 or 7 threats threatening my son are still up and reported, but those reports went in after the board crashed so they are still pending, understandably. I think the threads were able to be moved at least, which I appreciated. I had no idea the Wild West was still operating as it apparently is in Icarus’ tit for tit for tit for tit for tat saga.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:46 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:58 pm
What about using the back up board we already have since it was designed for just that purpose?
Yeah, we could all bookmark that. What is the URL?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:47 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
The quotes that she supplied came from this very thread. There could've been one that did not.
The original was some time ago, if I recall correctly. I'm fairly certain it was deleted.

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Lemmie wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
That’s unfortunate. When a poster repeatedly referred to my son as a racist, I went the apparently old-fashioned route and simply asked Shades each time to remove the reference, which he kindly did, multiple times. At the moment, as far as I know, another commenter’s 6 or 7 threats threatening my son are still up and reported, but those reports went in after the board crashed so they are still pending, understandably. I think the threads were able to be moved at least, which I appreciated. I had no idea the Wild West was still operating as it apparently is in Icarus’ tit for tit for tit for tit for tat saga.
It's mostly a guy thing: if the person thinks it involves personal honor, the rules don't apply to them.

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:21 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:46 pm

Yeah, we could all bookmark that. What is the URL?
:surprised: It's at the bottom of the Board Rules post in every single forum on this board. :surprised:

Here's the link to the temp board: https://mormondiscussions.forumotion.com/
Chinese Proverb