Problems with the board

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Problems with the board

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:17 am
All I will say about this is that if there is someone willing to take ownership of the board, I'm not going to look that gift horse in the mouth. More power to them. The board can only get better.

To be honest, however, I don't give a fu-Celestial Kingdom. There are always places to vent, and I've almost forgotten this is a board for people to talk about church.

A place to talk about religion... That seems remarkable to me. Why think about the details of religion at all? It's just ____. Why care?
People hang out here for all kinds of different reasons. Although I don't have much to offer in the way of posting, I very much enjoy the religious/philosophical discussions that take place here. Whether I believe in a god or not, religion has a significant impact on our culture, our politics, and our way of life. For me, discussions on those topics are not a waste of time. They help me think.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:59 pm
People hang out here for all kinds of different reasons. Although I don't have much to offer in the way of posting, I very much enjoy the religious/philosophical discussions that take place here. Whether I believe in a god or not, religion has a significant impact on our culture, our politics, and our way of life. For me, discussions on those topics are not a waste of time. They help me think.
I hear you. I wrote that post in a bit of a mood (shocker, I know).

I suppose at the time I was feeling antagonistic toward people questioning the motives of someone who looks like he might be willing to save this board. I mean, if anyone is worried about the board, isn't this a solution? Does anyone imagine the board in its current form is better than it would be handing it over to Icarus?

Of course, I like this board too. I sometimes wonder, however, about the battles people pick.

But yeah, mostly I was bitchin', and I'll admit that some of it was spurred by my disappointment in Shades.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:59 pm
I hear you. I wrote that post in a bit of a mood (shocker, I know).

I suppose at the time I was feeling antagonistic toward people questioning the motives of someone who looks like he might be willing to save this board. I mean, if anyone is worried about the board, isn't this a solution? Does anyone imagine the board in its current form is better than it would be handing it over to Icarus?

Of course, I like this board too. I sometimes wonder, however, about the battles people pick.

But yeah, mostly I was bitchin', and I'll admit that some of it was spurred by my disappointment in Shades.
Who questioned motives? I can’t speak for others but I questioned behavior because I don’t want to post on a board where the board owner gives out in real life information when he feels it “necessary” rather than following the rules and who repeatedly accuses people of criminal behavior in their real lives as a rhetorical device.

It’s also pretty disturbing to see that person dismiss posters here because they don’t have a reputation for “important contributions” as this person informed us he does, and who hints repeatedly about the “in” crowd while informing posters they are not in it or are disparaged by those in the inner circle. That isn’t an environment that appeals to me. Who knows, maybe behinds the scenes ordinary posters are disparaged regularly and laughed at for not being more important, but it’s very bad form to use it to publicly mock posters.

To pose it as a dichotomy where our only options are having an owner you don’t trust vs. a non-functioning board is not logical. There are other options.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Lemmie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm
To pose it as a dichotomy where our only options are having an owner you don’t trust vs. a non-functioning board is not logical. There are other options.
Well, I think we're already in a situation where the board owner's trustworthiness (over his ability to manage it) is in question. We are where we are because the owner doesn't really control the board.

But I'm not privy to all your interactions with Icarus; I tend not to pay much attention to the relationships between posters. All I can say is I've known about him for a long time, and although he can be direct and acerbic, I've never really known him to act in ways that made me question his trustworthiness. I don't ever remember catching him in a lie (which is different than just assuming he's wrong about something).

But look, I'll back off on this, because I'm honestly not that invested (there's a part of me that would be okay with the board closing down permanently... but that's just me). I'm fine with whatever the majority wants.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm

But I'm not privy to all your interactions with Icarus;
The irony is I have not, to my recall, had any interactions with Icarus prior to this. Every observation I’ve made has been on the basis of this thread, or other threads referenced here that I have read. But then again, as Icarus pointed out in this thread, I am “not good people”! Lol. Obviously. I am degenerate beyond belief, not to be trusted, and a b-tch, c-unt, and godawful feminist all rolled into one. Maybe my sugar daddy would buy the board for me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I think we're already in a situation where the board owner's trustworthiness (over his ability to manage it) is in question. We are where we are because the owner doesn't really control the board.
Seriously, though, you hit the nail on the head. What a weird situation.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Lemmie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:59 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm

But I'm not privy to all your interactions with Icarus;
The irony is I have not, to my recall, had any interactions with Icarus prior to this. Every observation I’ve made has been on the basis of this thread, or other threads referenced here that I have read. But then again, as Icarus pointed out in this thread, I am “not good people”! Lol. Obviously. I am degenerate beyond belief, not to be trusted, and a b-tch, c-unt, and godawful feminist all rolled into one. Maybe my sugar daddy would buy the board for me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, you hit the nail on the head. What a weird situation.
Yep. Weirdness abounds. I had just assumed that you and Icarus must have had some run-in while I was away from the board. Weird.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Yep. Weirdness abounds. I had just assumed that you and Icarus must have had some run-in while I was away from the board. Weird.
That makes sense. No, as far as I recall, last interaction I had (under other, uh, sock-type circumstances) was when he posted re a serious health issue and I posted words of encouragement. Also, long long ago I recall telling Jersey Girl I thought she was picking on him too much and I got taken to the woodshed by her for not understanding their long term relationship. Go figure. He must have heard how awful I am from one of those insider group meetings he mentioned. :rolleyes:
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
That didn't happen. There is no context between Lemmie and Icarus but that which appears on this thread.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

That makes sense. No, as far as I recall, last interaction I had (under other, uh, sock-type circumstances) was when he posted re a serious health issue and I posted words of encouragement. Also, long long ago I recall telling Jersey Girl I thought she was picking on him too much and I got taken to the woodshed by her for not understanding their long term relationship. Go figure. He must have heard how awful I am from one of those insider group meetings he mentioned. :rolleyes:
I believe in that case, I had said claimed that he was "sh-it faced drunk" and you called me on it.

I do have a good memory. Just don't ask me what I did 10 minutes ago. :lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

(Dr. Shades here, posting under our "Temp. Admin." account.)
Lemmie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm
Who knows, maybe behinds the scenes ordinary posters are disparaged regularly and laughed at for not being more important, but it’s very bad form to use it to publicly mock posters. . . He must have heard how awful I am from one of those insider group meetings he mentioned.
I can assure you that there's no such thing as an "insider's group," at least not that I'm aware of, and not one that mocks other posters (again, not that I'm aware of).