New and Improved Fire Starter Tool for Your Wilderness Adventures

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

New and Improved Fire Starter Tool for Your Wilderness Adventures

Post by _Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v74XBkYF6Vo

A simple how to trick for your Ferro Rod fire starter that makes it an invaluable tool to have as a back up for the wilderness experience. How to improve it and how to use it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Re: New and Improved Fire Starter Tool for Your Wilderness Adventures

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

For those of us who don't have 53 minutes to view the video, will you please give us a quick summary?
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:40 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v74XBkYF6Vo

A simple how to trick for your Ferro Rod fire starter that makes it an invaluable tool to have as a back up for the wilderness experience. How to improve it and how to use it.
I haven't watched the video, but I do live on the west coast. I assume it talks about picking up a stick and poking it into the nearest wild fire?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Temp. Admin. wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:40 am
For those of us who don't have 53 minutes to view the video, will you please give us a quick summary?
Good point. I doubt that how to use or improve any fire starter would require a 53 minute long explanation.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Yes, for those who don't have the time, you glue on an extension to the ferro rod so you can strike it easier with a better striker rod like a drill bit, in an emergency to create fire, freezing to death solved. You're all welcome.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:00 am
Temp. Admin. wrote:
Good point. I doubt that how to use or improve any fire starter would require a 53 minute long explanation.
Idiot. No idea what it is about, but you already know. :rolleyes:
Dr CamNC4Me
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:53 pm
Yes, for those who don't have the time, you glue on an extension to the ferro rod so you can strike it easier with a better striker rod like a drill bit, in an emergency to create fire, freezing to death solved. You're all welcome.
I learned that much from watching the first few minutes of the video. Was there something else to be learned from it besides that? I'll eventually check it out and see, when my curiosity builds high enough.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I caught the first 20 minutes and then got distracted. It was a fun video. The destination can't be adequately summarized if the point of it is the journey. I'd love to retire in a place like Philo has. For me, part of the interest was everything in the background. As the camera panned around the shop I'd pick out tools and wonder what the story was behind each of them.

I have no interest whatsoever in starting a fire with flint and steel or whatever it was. But Philo condemning the cheap manufacturing of that rod and getting excited about all the sparks the drill bit made was fun to watch. I suppose if the point really is that one day we might be in a situation where we have to start a fire the old-fashioned way, then having gone through the video will likely reinforce the idea better than reading a twenty second summary.

I guess Shades and Gunner could save all kinds of time in life by just reading Wiki articles. Read the wiki summary instead of watch the movie --- why waste the time? If the only point of interacting with media is to "learn something" in the fewest morphemes possible then we might have to throw out a whole lot of stuff, including much of Wikipedia.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:00 am
Temp. Admin. wrote:
:surprised:

You guys. 90% of the fun of watching a Philo Sofee video is watching Philo Sofee himself. His enthusiasm for sharing his thoughts, ideas, skills, information, literature, love of nature, and projects is completely contagious.

You don't have 53 minutes to watch a video? What else you got goin' on right now?

Seriously. :rolleyes:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Finally watched the video. It was a bit more interesting than I thought it would be. I thought it commendable how he pointed out the shoddiness and inadequacy of off-the-shelf commercially available flint and steel fire starter tools.

― Harlan Ellison